Thread: King salmon pictures

Default King salmon pictures

If you look on page 20 in the April issue of Fish Alaska you will see a guy holding a king for a picture. The belly of that fish is wet at best. Has that salmon been removed from the water? The Little Su is catch and release 3 days a week this summer. If we get picture just like that one will we get tickets? Sure, I have had clients get that same picture for years. Now I would guess FnG might not like that picture this summer in the mat-valley.

Bill Booth

If any part of the fish is still submerged, then technically it has NOT been removed from the water.

The intent of the reg is to dumb it down to the lowest common denominator to keep folks from hoisting fish over the gunnel or dragging them up onto the bank. If you hold up a fish for a pic in either of those scenarios.... and it flops outta your hands.... it's head either hits your deck or the rocks. Not good for a fish intended for release.

On the other hand someone can be in complete compliance with the reg and still handle a fish VERY poorly.... bad enough to jeopardize its survival. Example... someone could technically hoist a big salmon by the gills for the classic meat-hook hero shot and leave the tail in the water. Legal, yes... good for the fish, no.

My only advice for C&R pics is to leave the fish's head completely in the water until the very last instant that the cameraman is ready to snap the pic. It might go something like this...

"Ready?"

Yeah.

"OK... 1, 2, 3" (Lift)

Snap snap snap in rapid succession... maybe only one snap if the camera is slow and sucks.

Immediately submerge the head to let the fish "recharge".... esp while you are waiting for the flash to re-charge for another pic.

Here's a nice vid to demo what I'm talking about.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

If you intend to take C&R pics for clients, then encourage them to wear waders for their trip. Get the client IN THE WATER to hold the fish. Or the guide can get outta the boat and pose the fish alongside the boat with the client still in the boat leaning over the gunnel while someone else takes the pic from the bank.

Lots of ways to do it, but keep the welfare of the fish in mind. If the circumstances of getting the pic jeopardize the fish's survival, it's NOT worth getting the pic.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    My only advice for C&R pics is to leave the fish's head completely in the water until the very last instant that the cameraman is ready to snap the pic. It might go something like this...
    makes sense for me.
    (nice video too)

One more option for boat anglers wanting to get good C&R king pics. Make sure all of your crew has appropriate boots, preferably waders. Fight the fish from the boat until it is 2/3 to 3/4 done (yes this takes some experience to judge).... basically this is when the fish can be led by firm rod pressure without extreme resistance or long powerful runs. Then motor/row toward shore, towing the free-swimming fish toward the beach. Once the boat is landed, the angler jumps out, and finishes the fight from shore, where the fish can either be manually beached into the shallows (NOT drug up the beach) or scooped in a soft-mesh C&R landing net.

Now take your spectacular C&R pics with fish in the water.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The KeenEye MD

I've jumped in the water with no boots, in pretty nasty weather, to get a "trophy" C&R picture. Out of respect for the animal and in trade for the honor of having my photo with it, it was well worth it.

Something to keep in mind in these times of potential disaster.

brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    One more option for boat anglers wanting to get good C&R king pics. Make sure all of your crew has appropriate boots, preferably waders. Fight the fish from the boat until it is 2/3 to 3/4 done (yes this takes some experience to judge).... basically this is when the fish can be led by firm rod pressure without extreme resistance or long powerful runs. Then motor/row toward shore, towing the free-swimming fish toward the beach. Once the boat is landed, the angler jumps out, and finishes the fight from shore, where the fish can either be manually beached into the shallows (NOT drug up the beach) or scooped in a soft-mesh C&R landing net.

Now take your spectacular C&R pics with the fish in the water.
    Picture paints a 1000 words.... here's several thousand on C&R done right, beginning to end.

Thanks a million, fishook!
    The KeenEye MD

Any time Doc it was a great day on the water.
    Looking like we should fish July-16th and or the 23.
    If your Game? it's always a pleasure having another country western voice on the River Wolf.