Thread: Non-Res bowhunter

Default Non-Res bowhunter

Does a non res bowhunter have to have an AK bow certification before hunting in Alaska or will his cert from S. Dakota work?

A friend going black bear hunting with me in May is considering bringing his bow.

Thanks,

Doug

Any IBEP certification will do, lot of friends I know in the military station here have out of state IBEP certifications that they hunt with, works vice versa too, example: I can use my Alaska IBEP in Idaho. ....K

Default It depends

If only black bear hunting over bait there are only a few areas that require IBEP or equlivant plus a baiting clinic.

Unit 7 (except Resurrection Creek and tribs
    Unit 14A, 14B, and 16A (except in Denali State Park)
    Unit 16 Predator Control area.

Note: Only the person registering the stand needs to attend the clinic. It is his/her responsibility to ensure that the regulations are followed. The other people using the stand may not bait it. Only the person who registers the stand can actually bait the stand.

If you are not hunting over bait there are no restrictions except archery only areas. Such as within the James Dalton Highway 5-mile archery zone.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    The other people using the stand may not bait it. Only the person who registers the stand can actually bait the stand.
    Dave - Does this apply to helping to carry bait to the stand? I haven't attended the clinic, but have been asked by a friend to help him carry in a few loads. I'm guessing now that I'm not allowed to do so. What does "baiting the stand" constitute? Buying, carrying, and loading the bait barrel, or just loading the barrel? Thanks.

-Brian

Default restrictions

dwhunter,
    Unit 20B (the area around fairbanks) also requires a bear baiting clinic.

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Dave - Does this apply to helping to carry bait to the stand? I haven't attended the clinic, but have been asked by a friend to help him carry in a few loads. I'm guessing now that I'm not allowed to do so. What does "baiting the stand" constitute? Buying, carrying, and loading the bait barrel, or just loading the barrel? Thanks.

-Brian
    The regs state "Only the person who registers the site may transport to or otherwise maintain the site." I usually take a buddy with me, even if just for safeties sake. While I'm not condoning illegal actions, I don't think a trooper or F&G would give you a ticket for helping a friend carry bait to his site, provided you and your friend were together.

-Eric

Default Intent

I believe the "intent" is to make someone responsible for the cleanup. If the person who registers the stand is there and a person is assisting, in my opinion, no one is going to question it. We often do that here. We also double register stands. So my site is registered to two people. My partner and I. That way, both of can carry in bait and the cleanup requirement is met twice. No argument from our trooper here on doing that.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thanks everyone,

This is a stalk hunt and not over bait and from all I have read he will be covered by the Cert he has right now from S. Dakota.

Thanks,

Doug