Thread: Halibut fishing charter

Default Halibut fishing charter

Hey all, My parents are coming to Alaska in mid-june and I want to take my dad on a Halibut or halibut/salmon fishing charter. It would be a full day trip and i dont care where it launches from.(ive got to drive from fairbanks anyways) If anyone could give me some advice on which charter/charters to give a look i would really appreciate it. this trip will be my parents only trip for a couple years and would like to make it as memorable as possible. thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by shmobag View Post
    Hey all, My parents are coming to Alaska in mid-june and I want to take my dad on a Halibut or halibut/salmon fishing charter. It would be a full day trip and i dont care where it launches from.(ive got to drive from fairbanks anyways) If anyone could give me some advice on which charter/charters to give a look i would really appreciate it. this trip will be my parents only trip for a couple years and would like to make it as memorable as possible. thanks all.
    It kind of depends on how much you feel like driving. But if you click on the "Directory" button at the top of the page it will give you a menu where you can choose from a whole list of charters throughout the South central area including Valdez, Seward, Ninilchik and Homer.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    It kind of depends on how much you feel like driving. But if you click on the "Directory" button at the top of the page it will give you a menu where you can choose from a whole list of charters throughout the South central area including Valdez, Seward, Ninilchik and Homer.
    +1! Thanks for referring him to the Directory! Tons of charter outfits in there, all organized by region.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

If you are looking primarily for halibut, I would recommend Homer or Seward operators. If you really want a combination trip, I think Seward is probably a better option. Representing the Southeast charter industry, I personally know many operators throughout Southcentral and would be happy to recommend several specific operators. If you would like recommendations, please feel free to contact me at heath@seagoalaska.org.

The only thing to consider on a combo halibut/salmon charter is mid-June is kinda smack dab between king salmon and silver salmon, meaning you're really too late for the best king fishing, and too early for silvers. Not to say that salmon can't be taken in this time frame, but it's not the best timing. Also it's unfortunately before lingcod season opens (July 1)

Seward is far and away my favorite SouthCentral port for a day of fishing, but once you leave the mouth of the bay you are full exposed to the Gulf of Alaska, so conditions can be pretty rough. Then again the fishing has always been good to me so if anyone in your group is prone to getting quessy, just have them take some bonine before heading out. If the conditions allow heading out to Montague the fishing should be very good, and I wouldn't be suprised if you got into a few silvers.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathEdward View Post
    If you are looking primarily for halibut, I would recommend Homer or Seward operators. If you really want a combination trip, I think Seward is probably a better option. Representing the Southeast charter industry, I personally know many operators throughout Southcentral and would be happy to recommend several specific operators. If you would like recommendations, please feel free to contact me at heath@seagoalaska.org.
    Not to be argumentative, but I have fished both Seward and Homer for about 20 years now and the reason I chose to move to Homer is because I think it offers a better all-round fishing experience throughout the year. And during the period of mid-June, if I had to drive to one place or the other, I would choose Homer. The halibut fishing at that time of year is equal to (if not better than, IMHO) Seward (yeah, yeah, that's an arguable point), but I think the possibility for a combo trip is much better out of Homer. Spawning kings are heading up Cook Inlet then and intercepting them between Pogi Point and up to the Anchor Point fishing zone can make for an exceptional fishing adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The only thing to consider on a combo halibut/salmon charter is mid-June is kinda smack dab between king salmon and silver salmon, meaning you're really too late for the best king fishing...
    I'd beg to differ on that. This is a 28 lb. spawning king I caught off of Pogi Pt. on June 16, 2010.
    DPP_0001.jpg

Here`s a 30 from Seward in the same time-frame...2011

Really both ports are good however I give the knod to Seward for an easier mixed-bag closer to port...and more scenic. I grew up fishing out of Homer (son of a comm. fisher) but am partial to Seward for the distance by truck and by boat to get the types of fish I like to chase. Another neat thing about Seward is the protected places to anchor and catch fish while there...won`t see many people overnighting in CI for good reason. Homer is a pretty neat tourist destination though.

Either one will be an adventure for your folks.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The only thing to consider on a combo halibut/salmon charter is mid-June is kinda smack dab between king salmon and silver salmon, meaning you're really too late for the best king fishing, and too early for silvers. Not to say that salmon can't be taken in this time frame, but it's not the best timing. Also it's unfortunately before lingcod season opens (July 1)

Seward is far and away my favorite SouthCentral port for a day of fishing, but once you leave the mouth of the bay you are full exposed to the Gulf of Alaska, so conditions can be pretty rough. Then again the fishing has always been good to me so if anyone in your group is prone to getting quessy, just have them take some bonine before heading out. If the conditions allow heading out to Montague the fishing should be very good, and I wouldn't be suprised if you got into a few silvers.
    I would comletely agree with Paul. That said, due to your dates being what they are I might be inclined to just go for halibut out of the Homer area. The question I would ask is, exactly what kind of experience are your folks looking for? If its not "just" fish then I would probably have to retract my Homer area comment.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I would comletely agree with Paul. That said, due to your dates being what they are I might be inclined to just go for halibut out of the Homer area. The question I would ask is, exactly what kind of experience are your folks looking for? If its not "just" fish then I would probably have to retract my Homer area comment.
    That's an interesting statement. Why would you recommend they only go after halibut when there are plenty of kings to be had out there, too? I wouldn't dream of telling my clients that they should only fish for halibut when they have a very decent chance of catching and retaining 2 kings per person on their trip.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Really both ports are good however I give the knod to Seward for an easier mixed-bag closer to port...and more scenic.
    Nice king, but were you in Res Bay or outside? Just curious where out of Seward you have a chance of catching a king 365 days a year and only 3 or 4 miles from the small boat harbor.

Simply put I don't put much weight on Kings especially in the salt and as I said, I agree with Paul that its in between runs. That is my opinon and run timing is everything when fishing for salmon.

It still boils down to what they are looking for as an overall experience. Sometimes its not all about catching. I know you are a staunch supporter as a guide out of Homer but that doesn't mean that others aren't entitled to thier own views, likes or opinions. I hate to say it but Homer is not the best place or the only place to have a great experience. If it were Seward would not exist. That's reality whether you believe it or not.

I'm with ya on this one Mutt,,,Pogi is hard to beat middle to first part of July. But shhh don't tell everyone.
    Not to be argumentative, but I have fished both Seward and Homer for about 20 years now and the reason I chose to move to Homer is because I think it offers a better all-round fishing experience throughout the year. And during the period of mid-June, if I had to drive to one place or the other, I would choose Homer. The halibut fishing at that time of year is equal to (if not better than, IMHO) Seward (yeah, yeah, that's an arguable point), but I think the possibility for a combo trip is much better out of Homer. Spawning kings are heading up Cook Inlet then and intercepting them between Pogi Point and up to the Anchor Point fishing zone can make for an exceptional fishing adventure.

Nice king, but were you in Res Bay or outside? Just curious where out of Seward you have a chance of catching a king 365 days a year and only 3 or 4 miles from the small boat harbor.
    Right on the edge actually. I don`t normally target kings so I don`t honestly know how good/bad the king fishery is there....I am like most and only target the silvers when in full-swing. I`ve caught more than my share of kings since the early 80`s...it`s one species I like to preserve...may take one every few years but most often ignore that fishery. On this particular occasion we were bottom fishing and kept marking a large target at 50` so I gave it a shot with a hootch/banana and scored. This one was kept and cooked for friends that were vacationing here.

Anywho, the topic as I understand it is charter fishing and I would say I can`t think of any charters that would stay inside 5 miles all day...Homer or Seward. Mid-June anything can happen at either port but you will have better oportunities at rockfish and lings as a mixed bag in Seward regardless of which direction the capt. goes...not so much in Homer. I do know where to get all of the above in Homer but you gotta take a left and that can be some miserable water for newbies most days...especially with the tide rip. I believe it to be a little easier on a novice to fish a 12` tide vs an 18`.

Both have their redeeming qualities but I`m a fisherman...not a tourist so I prefer Seward. To each their own.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    Simply put I don't put much weight on Kings especially in the salt and as I said, I agree with Paul that its in between runs. That is my opinon and run timing is everything when fishing for salmon.

It still boils down to what they are looking for as an overall experience. Sometimes its not all about catching. I know you are a staunch supporter as a guide out of Homer but that doesn't mean that others aren't entitled to thier own views, likes or opinions. I hate to say it but Homer is not the best place or the only place to have a great experience. If it were Seward would not exist. That's reality whether you believe it or not.
    Oh I couldn't agree with you more about it being more than the catching. I spent about 2 hours out at Pony Cove years ago just watching 2 pods of orcas chasing salmon around. I would have paid $250 just to do that!

But the OP specifically said he might be interested in either a halibut or a halibut/salmon charter and he wants it to be as memorable as possible. Yes you're entitled to your opinion, but I think catching 2 halibut and 2 kings would be more memorable than just fishing for halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post

Anywho, the topic as I understand it is charter fishing and I would say I can`t think of any charters that would stay inside 5 miles all day...Homer or Seward. Mid-June anything can happen at either port but you will have better oportunities at rockfish and lings as a mixed bag in Seward regardless of which direction the capt. goes...not so much in Homer. I do know where to get all of the above in Homer but you gotta take a left and that can be some miserable water for newbies most days...especially with the tide rip. I believe it to be a little easier on a novice to fish a 12` tide vs an 18`.

Both have their redeeming qualities but I`m a fisherman...not a tourist so I prefer Seward. To each their own.
    I agree with you on the "to each their own" but I'd have to disagree with you vehemently that you have to "take a left" in order to catch decent fish. The 21 lb. king you see me holding in my "avatar" picture was caught about 3 or 4 miles from the small boat harbor. And there are a LOT of places within about 10 to 15 miles of port without having to "take a left" that routinely put kings that big in peoples' boats AND halibut in the 20 to 70 lb. range. I don't know of any place out of Seward that you can do that. The OP is looking for the most memorable all round fishing experience for his parents and IMHO that will happen at the time his parents are here out of Homer.

Don`t have to tickle you too much to hear you disagree. I`m sure the Chamber of Commerce appreciates your effort.

My point is for the most memorable experience for a novice or first timer would likely be the scenery and then the fishing...having lived here all my life I can say the list for me if I were the tour director would be Seward first, PWS second and Homer third. If it were a pure halibut/king excursion it would bounce Homer to the top and Seward 2nd.

No argument the fish are in the bay (CI) if you know how to get `em but really MOST charters chicken fish the bay and really it just ain`t that pretty out there. I`ve done my share of in-close big fish catching but the average charter guide isn`t going to plop the newbies down in the kelp and lose all their gear. Heck, I might even make one trip down there this year however most of my hard earned cash goes to the other ports. Like I said over and over they all have their qualities and the OP knows his folks better than us...and now he has plenty of information to decide...off to load the boat...headed to PWS!

Heavy Hitter Fishing