Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires, tires, and more tires

Default Tires, tires, and more tires

Just curious what tires everyone is running on their atvs? How they are working out for you for all the different terrain Alaska throws at us. Also if you could do it over again would you get the same tires?

Currently running 26" ITP Mudlight XTR's on the grizzly 700 and 27" ITP 589's on the grizzly 660.

Maxxis Zillas.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

25" mudlites on my 2009 Foreman and 2010 rancher. 1000 percent better than stock! No regrets..
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Mud lite xls on the big bear, and 589's on the cat.

ITP Mudlites on one Grizz 700, ITP 589's on the other. For the riding we do, the 589's hold up better. Mudlites are prone to sidewall punctures. The 589's are heavy but so far appear to be bomb proof.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I am running mud lit XL's as well. However I have found that they have a less than impressive tread life or maybe I got a dud set but after 2 seasons and about 1200 miles the lugs are wore pretty bad and Im not spinning out in gravel or going 100 mph just regular old riding on decent trails. Some of it is pretty packed and hard but for the most part is it is soft dirt/ mud if I were riding on pavement or something I could see them wearing faster but im not. So for the 500+ I spent on the set no I wouldnt do it again for 2 summers worth of riding.

26" Maxxis Mudbugs on my rancher, love these tires. Hardly any wear after years of use and awesome in all terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    26" Maxxis Mudbugs on my rancher, love these tires. Hardly any wear after years of use and awesome in all terrain.
    +1 on the MB. Given the aggressive lug, I'd opt for a wide tire to up the flotation when chewin trough the muck.

Put many miles on a set of 27x12s on the Ranger and was very pleased.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I am running 14" mudlite xtr's cause I got a good deal on them.I also believe sidewalls are a little weak as I have a pinhole in one..

TWB if you dont mind me askin where did you get your zillas

I have 26" ITP Swamp Lites on my Grizzly. I have no miles on them yet, but they were recomended to me by more than one person. We'll see..

Currently running 26" Mud Lite XTR's on my 550 Grizzly. Love the flat, wide, stable, radial foot print that prevents tire roll-over that is found with bias ply tires. Biggest negative for me would be the tire weight.

Next time around, I would look at Zilla's. I hear they are lighter weight than XTR's, tough tires, and work great as an all terrain type tire.

Bighorn OG's and 2.0's also get great reviews as an extremely durable tire, especially for rock-crawling by the guys in the western states, but they are not good for thick mud and muskeg.

What I want to know is who has the best prices on these tires.....???

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What I want to know is who has the best prices on these tires.....???

Order online hands down I don't know about around anchorage but no one in fairbanks comes close to online prices even of you have to pay shipping you save at least 100 on the set.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Order online hands down I don't know about around anchorage but no one in fairbanks comes close to online prices even of you have to pay shipping you save at least 100 on the set.
    I guess we're looking in the wrong places because shipping is still really high.......

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I guess we're looking in the wrong places because shipping is still really high.......
    www.motosport.com charged me $64 for shipping 4 tires to Fairbanks. Got em in 6 days.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    www.motosport.com charged me $64 for shipping 4 tires to Fairbanks. Got em in 6 days.
    Great.......thanks...!!!

30" Gorilla Silverbacks and 27" Dirt Devil II's. Not a fan of Mudlites, big fan of Inter Co Swamp Lites. Love the Silverbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I am running 14" mudlite xtr's cause I got a good deal on them.I also believe sidewalls are a little weak as I have a pinhole in one..

TWB if you dont mind me askin where did you get your zillas
    B - Zillas were backordered most of last year so I went with Swamp Lites, my second pick.

Also there is a difference between mudzillas and Zillas, mainly the weight but a slight differencr in lug thickness. Weight robs power.

Try Hatcher Pass Polaris.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    B - Zillas were backordered most of last year so I went with Swamp Lites, my second pick.

Also there is a difference between mudzillas and Zillas, mainly the weight but a slight differencr in lug thickness. Weight robs power.

Try Hatcher Pass Polaris.
    TWB thanks I will have to check over there.. Yea swamplites are my second choice also..

Swamp lites and I love them. I agree, the mudlight xtr's have terrible side walls. I got pretty good at plugging tires with those. Will never go back even if there free. The mudzillas are too aggressive and are known to rip the wheel or handle bars out of your hands along with break stuff like axles. The zillas would be my second choice. Less aggressive and reports on them are pretty good.
    I have been ordering mine online and getting them about $100-$150 less with shipping than local. Chapparel motor sports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast