Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pfffttt!!!

Default Pfffttt!!!

Took my 357 out this afternoon to try out some new handloads. Before I tried the new loads, I decided to shoot up the last of some loads I made a few months ago. 110 gr. HDY XTP over 6 gr. Unique with a CCI 200 primer. This is a very mild but accurate 357 mag load, but is still hotter than a 38 special +P load. I have fired several dozen of these loads without any trouble. Well one of the shots went PFFFFTTT instead of BANG, and no new hole in the target, so I pulled the cylinder and sure enough, the bullet was stuck about an inch down the barrel. At first, I thought maybe I missed charging that one, but there was half burned powder in the case and on the back of the bullet. So I am wondering what I might have done or missed to cause the powder to not light. Any thoughts? Did I not crimp tight enough, or maybe something contaminated the powder? These cases are all once fired brass. I don't have a tumbler, so I just de-primed and sized them as I got them, but they all looked clean when I loaded them.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

????? A very light powder charge ????

Or, a bad primer???

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Only time this has happened to me was either missed powder charge or wasn't paying attention to powder thrower and it was throwing hardly any powder. I just whacked the bullet out, sat that box to the side and went back to shooting.

Either the powder was contaminated by a substance already in the case, or the primer was contaminated along the way.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Either the powder was contaminated by a substance already in the case, or the primer was contaminated along the way.
    I'm not sayin this applies here, but there's something, I've always wondered about.

Can the powder be rendered somewhat ineffective by case lube?

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I'm not sayin this applies here, but there's something, I've always wondered about.

Can the powder be rendered somewhat ineffective by case lube?

Smitty of the North
    The short answer is yes.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yeah I was thinking that case lube might have gotten in the case and somehow reduced the volatility of the powder. Next time I reload, I think I will swish the cases around in acetone after sizing and let them dry before I continue to load them. That adds another step to the process, but will eliminate one possibility.

what kind of case lube are you using? I use Hornady One Shot, spray it all over the cases either while they are in the case feeder or I'll spray them in a cardboard box and shake them up a bit. Never had any issues with it. I stopped using rcbs lube because it just seemed like a PITA to me, the One Shot is quick and easy.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticmayhem View Post
    Next time I reload, I think I will swish the cases around in acetone after sizing and let them dry before I continue to load them. That adds another step to the process, but will eliminate one possibility.
    Sounds like overkill, but to each his own. On the subject of acetone tho, you should be aware that it leaves behind a corrosive residue. Isopropyl alcohol is a cleaner choice. Better yet, use a die that doesn't require so much (if any) lube, or use just a very tiny bit of Imperial Sizing Wax. I generally don't use any lube at all on pistol cases with my dies.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Better yet, use a die that doesn't require so much (if any) lube, or use just a very tiny bit of Imperial Sizing Wax. I generally don't use any lube at all on pistol cases with my dies.
    Carbide/Nitride pistol dies rule. I can't understand why folks would use anything else.

"pfffftt",

That's the noise my 10 yr. old boy makes when he talks back. If I had made that noise at my father when I was his age, I would've got smacked so hard, he probably would've decapitated me!

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    I can't understand why folks would use anything else.
    Because my entire reloading setup (minus expendable stuff) was free.

The setup came with RCBS lube and pad and it's what I grew up using, so I just used that. It is sticky, messy stuff, so I use just barely enough to keep cases from sticking. I never really liked it, but it was free. For the next reloading session, I will stop being a cheapskate and buy some better lube. A thought just hit me while I was typing this, I could probably use EEZOX on my cases. It works great on my guns, and stays slick after it dries.

LG:

That's interesting, because that's the one kind I suspected might/could cause the problem.

Many other lubes out there, and other things that work better and easier. I suggest you trash the RCBS lube, pad and all.

Thanks

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I think I will. What lube are you guys using? Next time I am in Sportsmans, I will take a look at their case lubes.

I'd try the Hornady One Shot lube. It's easy to spray on, isn't messy and won't contaminate anything.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I've used RCBS case lube for decades without any problem. I've extracted numerous stuck cases from dies with folks using "one shot".
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

i just don't like the rcbs case lube because you have to be careful not to put it on too thick or you'll dent your brass. I've seen guys get cases stuck with one shot too but it's usually because it sat too long before reloading it. The one shot will evaporate after awhile so it's best to lube small batches at a time.

One Shot is good stuff but pricy and will stick bad if you donít get it inside the neck. I think Imperial Sizing Wax is the best sizing lube, Iíve had good luck with One Shot and I find it to be the best press ram lube Iíve tried.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

.....CCI-200 primer????? Large rifle??

Surely you mean CCI-500 primer, Small pistol.

Think about this. If the primer was bad (contaminated or whatever. What caused the powder and bullet to move down the barrel?

It was a good primer.....The powder charge was toooo light...or there was contaminates in the case. Most likely was some thing to impede the primers spark a clump of dirt in the flash hole. Corn cob polishing media will not do it...I've tested that. It was just one of many squib loads I've heard about. You did the right thing. Something wasn't right, you went to investigate.

Do not use acetone on brass cases. You need a tumbler.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Oops, yeah I did mean CCI 500 primers. Guess I had rifle reloading on the brain when I wrote it.

The primer sounded fine to me, because it popped, but didn't bang. The powder couldn't have been any lighter than the rest of my loads, since I weigh every charge (to cheap to buy a powder hopper) and I know I didn't skip one, because there was unburned powder in the case. You may be right about something being in the flash hole. I didn't look to close at every case after I sized/de-primed. Hopefully it was just a one time fluke thing, but wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something that could be dangerous. The next time I have money to buy reloading stuff, I am going to buy a tumbler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast