Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seating rifle bullets backwards for more penetration

Default Seating rifle bullets backwards for more penetration

I read about this years ago and just thought of it again. Anyone have any experience doing this? I'm thinking a 200gr Sierra BT spitzer stuffed in backwards in my 30.06. It makes sense hitting your target with the thickest toughest part of the bullet first if you wand more penetration vs. expansion.

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    It makes sense hitting your target with the thickest toughest part of the bullet first if you wand more penetration vs. expansion.
    What doesn't make sense, is taking a bullet that's very carefully designed to be stable in flight, and attempting to make it fly backwards. If you want a non-expanding bullet with a wider meplat, why not just select one that's designed to work that way?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Interesting question...I tend to agree with Iofthetaiga though....found this about it though and thought it was pretty interesting...

A reversed bullet was a German anti-tank method for penetrating the armor of the British Mark I tank during the World War I.

At their inception in 1915, the British Mark I tank proved nearly impregnable to standard rifle fire. The first attempt at boosting the power of German infantry rifles was the "reversed bullet". This utilized the same case and bullet as a normal round, except with the bullet seated backwards and more propellant added to the cartridge. When fired, the blunt end of the bullet hits the target first. The bullet does not break apart against armor plating like a normal bullet would.[1] When used against World War I tanks, it sometimes penetrated into the tank compartment, but often it severely distorted the plate armor of the tank. This caused a spray of metal shrapnel (spall) that hurt or killed the crew of the tank, making it just as effective as full penetration of the compartment.[2] At short range, armor required a minimum thickness of one-half inch in order to stop a reversed bullet.[1] The Germans also used reversed bullets at short ranges against French infantry.[3]

The reversed bullet sometimes damaged German rifles, often injuring its users. This made it unpopular with German infantry.[1] Later in World War I, the Germans developed the armor-piercing K bullet for use against heavier British tanks

There are so many bullets available in this day and age that will achieve maximum penetration and accuracy while being loaded as designed makes me ask,why ?

If you decide to go this route,just keep in mind that even bullets of the same weight from different manufacturers can change your pressures a lot,let alone loading a bullet backwards.Just coming up with a safe starting load seems pretty risky for both you and your rifle.Good luck and post your results if you try it.

If you want more penetration load up some Barnes TSXs, TTSXs or if you can find any left, Winchester Fail-Safes and call it a day. They'll shoot through anything walking around in AK.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    If you want more penetration load up some Barnes TSXs, TTSXs or if you can find any left, Winchester Fail-Safes and call it a day. They'll shoot through anything walking around in AK.
    depending on what kind of poop you got behind them........

I just read the cutting edge bullets info on their Raptor bullets. They are "designed" to be shot either way. One way acts like a solid, the other expands violently with the butt end for good penetration. They have a removable plastic cone to boost B.C. Interesting concept. I might try some in my 375 Ruger for big bears if I go that route next year.

I read about this years ago and just thought of it again. Anyone have any experience doing this? I'm thinking a 200gr Sierra BT spitzer stuffed in backwards in my 30.06. It makes sense hitting your target with the thickest toughest part of the bullet first if you wand more penetration vs. expansion.

Mountaintrekker
    I've never loaded rifle ammo this way, but I've loaded a good amount of handguns ammo with HBWC seated hollow-base forwards. In a rifle there seems like there are better ways to skin a cat. If you're determined I'd be gentle with the first loads and take care with COAL as without much effort you may find the bullet seated well into the lands. IMO, you'd be better served loading a different projectile in the '06......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Default Bell

Bell talked about doing this in Africa in his early days when all they had were soft point bullets and they needed more penetration on the tough skinned game. If I recall correctly he shot quite a few elephants with them in a 7x57.

Mountaintrekker
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I've never loaded rifle ammo this way, but I've loaded a good amount of handguns ammo with HBWC seated hollow-base forwards.

Loading the hollow base forward makes on heck of a good self defense load.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    Loading the hollow base forward makes on heck of a good self defense load.
    That was our thought at the time. In hindsight, the wadcutter end makes a very good self-defense load as a large meplat makes a significant wound channel. IMO, terminal ballistics is at least as much art as science--live and learn........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Interesting responses, I'm mostly looking for first hand accounts to see if worked out. It's nice to have options should one not be able to get to a store for awhile and still want maximum close range effect from the projectiles on hand.

Mountaintrekker

I have loaded 75 gr SMK backwards in .223 subsonic loads. They work just like a dart...heavy end in front and will stabalize where they will not if shot nose first. Penetration wise they will go thru 2 layers of auto glass and 5 one gallon milk jugs filled with water and you can barely hear them at 100 yds which is their max range without a lot of holdover and they do not expand but do distort some. There is significant potential as a sniper round with a 1 in 8" twist or faster in a bolt gun.

When I was a kid I used to blow up armadillos with a Smith model 28 and reversed HBWC in my Dad's orange groves.

Watch pressure signs and go for it...reporting back of course.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Reversing a bullet probably works as planned up close, but the the blunt backside of a bullet causes rapid velocity falloff and a sharper trajectory at anything over maybe about 75 yards...
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

I fired a few backwards 54r FMJ bullet using military ball ammo with the exposed base to just see if it could be done and if accuracy was affected,the backwards bullet is nothing new and is a common technique used in subsonic loads to increase terminal effects. My results pretty much mimic the results found here http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot50.htm

As odd as it sounds, the Alaskan .50 was started just like this. They cut the bottom of a .50 BMG bullet just below the ogive, loaded it backwards, and created the classic thumper!!!

Sounds like you were reading from "the complete book of handloading" by Sharpes ????

I am reading that book right now. Totally outdated, difficult reading for me (ie. boring), but just interesting enough that I read a couple pages every night before falling to sleep. Interesting to think how far handloading has come since the early 1900's.

I came here to post old painless from the box o truth. Somebody beat me to it.

The "box-of-truth" results were from bullets that were open on the bottem...lead exposed. Probably entirely different results with bullets that are entirely covered with copper jacket on the bottem? I would think so...
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

You might eventually find a bullet that would do this. You could also load up some Barnes X bullets and shoot them like they are supposed to be shot and have all the penetration you will ever need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast