Thread: Greenhouse ready for tomatoes

Default Greenhouse ready for tomatoes

Had the heat tape on for 5 days, soil in the GH is above 70 deg f, today inside was over 90;.
    Mixed the soil, added some 8-32-16 (about a cup per soil box)
    Then mixed up a gallon bucket of water, 1 beer, 1 coke & 1 cup of corn syrup & poured a 5 gallon mix on each, (to wake up the soil microbes) 2 days ago. Today I added a few gallons of moose nuggets, don't know if they do much but they look cool .
    Will be planting the tomatoes tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1 more GH pic & one of the thawing garden

Tomatoes went into the greenhouse on sat. By the way mudbuddy where is your snow? I still have big piles of snow here.

Still have some on the N side of the house & where I plowed up piles.
    I took 6" of soil out of the GH boxes & spread it around on top of the snow, the dark color helped the snow melt allot faster. some of the garden soil boxes are thawed, but only 40 deg soil temp. may be a while before I can walk in it, 2" to 3" of goo now.
    But sure feels good to be outside, getting muddy & wet & feel the heat from the sun

Got a few blooms on the "Sun gold"
    Plants greening up & starting to grow & have blooms forming on several.
    Pic, Early girl, Brandy boy, 4th july in this soil box

That was interesting. There's are green house for tomatoes in Alaska, a cold place as that. I want to read more about it.

Got a ways to go before I can safely plant my tomatoes in the GH.. For the last several nights it's dropped down to 31 to 33 degs in the green house. I need to figure a way to heat the GH this time of year. The soil in my outside raised boxes was thawed out as soon as the snow went away. but every night they freeze up a little crust on the surface.. Then the morning sun thaws that out.. On days we have full sun the temp gets up to 90 inside the Greenhouse. I never thought to try planting onion and garlic sets so early, but Mudbuddy makes sense.. So this afternoon I'm going to plant a box of onion and garlic sets, then cover them with visqueen.

Quote Originally Posted by berthieN View Post
    That was interesting. There's are green house for tomatoes in Alaska, a cold place as that. I want to read more about it.
    Yes Alaska is a cold place in the winter. We still get very warm summers they just are short lived. Last summer it got up 96 a few times here in the Interior and 80s aren't uncommon still plenty warm to grow some fruit and veggies. I know alot of people seem to think it is -50 year round and everyone lives in igloos and rides sled dogs around but thats not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Got a ways to go before I can safely plant my tomatoes in the GH.. For the last several nights it's dropped down to 31 to 33 degs in the green house. I need to figure a way to heat the GH this time of year. The soil in my outside raised boxes was thawed out as soon as the snow went away. but every night they freeze up a little crust on the surface.. Then the morning sun thaws that out.. On days we have full sun the temp gets up to 90 inside the Greenhouse. I never thought to try planting onion and garlic sets so early, but Mudbuddy makes sense.. So this afternoon I'm going to plant a box of onion and garlic sets, then cover them with visqueen.
    John, before I added heat tape to the GH soil boxes, I planted the tomatoes this time of the year, then at night I'd put a 5 gallon bucket over them for the night, they'd do fine in the temps above 28. the soil holds enough heat to keep it above freezing under the bucket. One guy I worked with used the big clear storage tubs, they worked well & let light in in the early AM if you sleep in. you just have to be there every night & AM to cover & uncover for a few weeks. you can use the clear tubs to plant early in the garden too. Might be worth a try with one tomato & see if it makes it thru the night. That way you get one or 2 plants producing tomatoes a few weeks earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by berthieN View Post
    Hey, were are at 16 hours of sunshine a day now, Pennsylvania is getting snow today. 10 million duck & geese can't be wrong, they come back every summer.
    Of course the leave every fall too. Smarter than me LOL

I have been thinking about building a green house and heating it with a rocket stove, something like this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtFvdMk3eLM
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    John, before I added heat tape to the GH soil boxes, I planted the tomatoes this time of the year, then at night I'd put a 5 gallon bucket over them for the night, they'd do fine in the temps above 28. the soil holds enough heat to keep it above freezing under the bucket. One guy I worked with used the big clear storage tubs, they worked well & let light in in the early AM if you sleep in. you just have to be there every night & AM to cover & uncover for a few weeks. you can use the clear tubs to plant early in the garden too. Might be worth a try with one tomato & see if it makes it thru the night. That way you get one or 2 plants producing tomatoes a few weeks earlier.
    Mudbuddy,
    I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer thing hanging in the green house. so I've been checking the min/max temps every morning - for the last week or so, the coldest it got in the GH was 31.5 I do have an extra tomatoe plant for "just in case" so I think I'll go ahead and "sacrifice" it and do the bucket trick you mention. I have a couple plants that are just about ready to blossom so I'll experiment with one of them. I've yet to check the soil temp in my planters ... Thanks for the tip..

Check out my Alaska Grow Bucket desigh. Works fantastic in my greenhouse here in Wasilla. Only uses 1 bucket, a plastic colander, and a fabric shopping bag. http://alaskagrowbuckets.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WasillaPlanter View Post
    Check out my Alaska Grow Bucket desigh. Works fantastic in my greenhouse here in Wasilla. Only uses 1 bucket, a plastic colander, and a fabric shopping bag. http://alaskagrowbuckets.com/
    AWESOME!!!
    What type of cuc? Got some cucs setting on?
    I see a heater & a fan. & Part of a tomato leaf . You 'll be eating tomatoes & cucs soon
    Must be a well insulated GH