Thread: 2012 Spring Bear

Default 2012 Spring Bear

Heading out of Whittier in may with a transporter. This will be our first time doing this type of hunt and we are looking for a little advice on what areas we should be concentrating our efforts in.We were told the transporter may take us out to the Knight Island area. does anyone out there think this may be a good place to start.We realize the transporter can't guide us so we are trying to do a little research on our own. Any insight and advic will greatly appreciated.
    lkraus

If they would take ya, I would go to Main Bay. Bears like to come out at last light, hunt until you can't see to shoot. Watch the grass flats as they are on the green when they first come out.

Be safe and have fun PWS is one of my favorite spots.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Knight island is a great area. Big island though as I am sure you have looked at a map. My buddy who used to be on the forums but moved and have not seen him on here anymore shot a 7'1" blackie out there. Thing was a beast and can't remember skull size off hand. Will find out that soon if I can remember to ask him when I get ahold of the guy. I know exactly where he went, took him there a week before his hunt to check on the conditions. He went with a transporter during the week. Very impressive bear! I have personally seen big bears out there, I missed one and my bro missed one. Later May would be best on the shadowed side of the island. Montague side of the island should be good early may or so. They went the middle of may I believe on the knight passage side and only seen a few bears, I think only 3 bears and the 3 luckily tagged out. This is a heavy snow year and in shadowed bays the snow can be there awhile. Middle of May on is best for the whole sound. Some islands like Latouche I have witnessed bears being killed this time of the year. Southern exposure and wind blown that is not very deep goes fast and bears head up high. Sorry not gonna give out bay names!

Sorry not gonna give out bay names![/QUOTE]

You're one of the few!

Finding places to camp can be a challenge. On his hunt I remember him telling me every morning they woke up to 6" of water inside the tent. They camped up on a bluff not far off the beach on snow of course. They took cots as he had hunted out there before and new what to expect. Tents shouldn't leak but I guess with that much moisture and that deep of snow, tent was basically melting in to snow I assume. Water could come in zippers and mesh while sleeping. Take sun block! Sun will reflect off water and snow and if on the sunny sides you will get fried if nice weather comes your way!! Go during the week, leave dock on a sunday or such and you shouldn't have much if any competetion out there since gas prices are way up and guys will be hunting closer in on islands and mainland shores. Knight would be my choice. Partially since I have explored every bay on the island when I had my boat. Will you have access to a raft you can rent from Transporter or borrow from buddy, always good to be able spread guys and hunt different nooks of the bay or area. Plus fish for halibut and rockfish if ya bet bored.

East Side of Knight Island. Most bays are going ot hold bears. Bay of Isles, Drier Bay etc. have long valleys where you can work slowly if you wanted. Biggest mistake is moving to much. Find a great camping spot on a high knoll, stay there and glass. Let the bears move for you. Bring good gear, and do some research on this forum..there is plenty of informaiton on here to set you up for success in the sound area.

BLUF..there are bears all over that sound..if you are there for a week or so, you will see something.

Good luck
    DH01
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Bring snow shoes !

Thanks for the input guys , We won't have an issue with camping as we will be staying on the boat and also have use of the raft. As of now we are the only 2 hunters going so I expect we should be able to be quite mobile as long as we bring along enough gas money. Not heading out until 5-20 so hopefully the snow won't be quite as bad. Thanks

What's the cost of that and how many days; if I may ask?
    Dan

It's going to run us about 3,500.00 for 6 days 5 nights

Is this a charter or buddy with a boat? What are the details of this Charter..has to be a charter for this price.

More, might want to know..why I'm asking. I would also assume it is broken down between individuals going? What is the total number of guys allowed to go..usually 5-6 per party?
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Well, when my buddy it they just got dropped off for $450 a person and 3 guys went. If I was paying that kind of money I would not be going that early, unless going further out to the Elrington, Latouche and I think bainbrindge. Go out as far as possible, the first two. Mid April we say 13 bears back in 2001. I am pretty sure we were shrimping and was around the 15th, two bears killed and I missed 3, gun ended up being off about 2 feet to the left! Some serious money for a black bear. Awesome country though and sure hope you enjoy the hunt! Another option is to rent a boat in whittier and do it all yourself.

I did a boat based hunt a couple of year ago with Homer Ocean charters and had more fun than I can tell you. It's a pretty laid back type of hunt so I wouldn't worry about much, just be prepared to sit and wait each evening. Are you going to be fishing in the mornings?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

The trip is with a charter so we will have all our meals and sleeping quarters. Also will be fishing as much as possible along with seeing the sights . The charter probably takes at least 4 people on most trips but this will be just 2 of us. The cost is a bit more than some of the charters out there but I think this should give us a bit of freedom as to how we want to spend our days.

Counting more on bringing back fresh fish than bear

Brother..not knocking ya here..but for that money..I would rent you my boat for a week (2452 Bayliner) and you could catch all the fish you wanted and shoot bears...I hope you kill a monster and fill the freezer.

Enjoy the scenery and take it all in..very nice out there.

I also can appreciate the full accomdation package.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lkraus View Post
    Counting more on bringing back fresh fish than bear

Quote Originally Posted by Lkraus View Post
    The trip is with a charter so we will have all our meals and sleeping quarters. Also will be fishing as much as possible along with seeing the sights . The charter probably takes at least 4 people on most trips but this will be just 2 of us. The cost is a bit more than some of the charters out there but I think this should give us a bit of freedom as to how we want to spend our days.
    Sounds like you know what you are in for and good for you! Take it all in, great place out there hope you see lots of wildlife. I am sure the charter will do you right. Don't be afraid to harvest a bear. If you want a taste I can grill ya a black bear burger and you'll be hard pressed to think it's not beef, kids can't even tell the difference, not alaskan kids either, like Indiana city folk kids! Lots of hype that bear is not good and not worth the hassel. Try it, you'll like it. If you get one and are living in town, I help you butcher it even and pop the head out and such if the charter doesn't. Also have a taxi who will do you a nice rug for cheaper than most around. Once you can PM hit me up if you like.