Thread: 180sst 300wsm for caribou

Default 180sst 300wsm for caribou

I have a great load worked up with the 180sst and 300wsm. Anyone use them on Caribou before? I will have a 338wm with 210 sciroccos or 225ttsx in camp as well for protection.

Any magnum cartridge with 180 or larger tsx with kill anything in this state. I've hunted all over this state with nothing more than a .300 win mag with 180gr tsx the exception of kodiak and afognak. I'm not sure the diff between the two guns you mentioned warrants needing both. If you wanted a real camp defense weapon I'd suggest a 45-70 lever or a 10 bore loaded with something nasty. Then there's always your 375's and .416's. Just don't be that guy with a glock 20 for bear protection, unless you've filed off the front sight so it don't hurt so bad when the bear takes it from you and shoves it where the sun don't shine.

I love the .300WSM for caribou and have taken several with the 180AB in that cartridge.

I've used the SST a couple of times on whitetails and my opinion is that they're a little too soft (a little softer than a BT) and tend to shed jackets when the impact velocities are up. They would likely work just fine out at range when the speeds have slowed but I'd be concerned about close shots with them out of a .300. You're probably at or very near 3000fps MV and that's my general threshold to look for a little tougher bullet.

I like the Nosler Accubond...good expansion in caribou sized critters, they hold together great and punch clean through. Every rifle I've got likes them as well. The Partition is hard to beat and some folks swear by the monometal TSX and GMX bullets. In the Hornady line perhaps the Interbond? I don't shoot Hornady bullets much anymore after some dissapointing bullet performance with Interlocks a few years back but, in general, they make a pretty good product. I think the SST is at it's best in milder cartridges after critters like whitetails and antelope.

Just my $.02
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I too think the SST is abit soft for the cartridge you are shooting it in and the speeds you should be able to reach. A good one to try might be the GMX from Hornady, you'll have to back your load off a little, Hornady suggests using load data for the jacketed bullet one step heavier in the lineup. IE use 168 Interlock data for the 150 GMX. But the GMX has the same shape as the Interlock and may be easy to get shooting to the same POI.

In my 30/06 both the 168sst and the 168 GMX are very accurate, in fact the GMX is the most accurate bullet I've tried in that rifle.

On the other hand caribou are pretty easy to tip over in general, and the SST would probably work. I have to believe it would be ugly if you ran one into a shoulder blade at 100yds, you'd probably get your bull, but I'd bet the frontend would be jellied. With a monometal you'll have two more or less clean holes in my experience.

I witnessed Familyman shoot a caribou just shy of 200 yds with a 225 Grain SST. Instant bang/flop. It's never a bad thing to gravitate towards a bonded ballistic tipped bullet though.

Did the bullet exit?

It sure did, and held together surprisingly well. Due to the angle, it drilled through at a quartering shot from his 338 RCM. With the very fast 300 WSM and cup/core bullets, I'd try to slow it down a bit and opt for a 200 grain bullet myself. With all that powder capacity and power, why not take advantage of it with a bigger bullet that will hold together better?

Thank you for the advise and opinions, the reason for the two guns is my father and I are both going up to hunt. The 300wsm is shooting the sst's at 3064.

This guy tested about 4-5 different bullets at 308 velocities and the Hornady bullet had the least penetration of the bunch at about a foot of wet newspaper.

The Tipped triple shock did the best, and the old Nosler Partition did just as well as the Barnes bullets in regards to penetration.