Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April 15th, who's baiting?

Default April 15th, who's baiting?

Anyone out there baiting now? I went up shooting up by my area yesterday and there was still too much snow. Maybe in another week if the sun will come out.

I walked all over the mountain the other day looking for sign, wow you said snow it's going to be a month before anyone gets to far in. Now I did see a brownie track in the area not too far away so I was thinking about trying to poke a hole in him

Usually can't get in my area until at least the 2nd week of May, even than its foot access only, too much rotten snow for fourwheeler.

I found a few "2012" Bait Station signs/permits posted on trees last week.

I got my Bait out today, it was tuff. I have about 2ft more snow in my area than normal for this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    Usually can't get in my area until at least the 2nd week of May, even than its foot access only, too much rotten snow for fourwheeler.
    I agree, although I have done it on the 15th before. I'm gonna try the third this year and see if I can't bait and get up two new stands up. Good luck this year everyone. I know I am jacked to get this year going!
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Im not bringing my bait out until May 5 this year. Even then, I know there will be snow and it'll be a slog to get out to my location.
    Im not anticipating whacking a bear that weekend but you never know. I'll get that bait set and primed for the weeks following. Usually its the last two weeks in May that are the best, even on an average snow year.

After alot of thought and planning and never getting to be able to get to my site I am gonna try friday while I am off hopefully I can get in there.

May 5 is the date I put out every year, have never had a bear visit before the 13th april on the kenai is just too early. Just be feeding the browns if I go any earlier than may 5.

Just too much snow out here in north kenai yet. too soft for snowmachine and too deep for atv.

I'm hoping for below freezing nights again, to give the snow a little substance. I'd like to make the first set with the snowmachine. Failing that, I'll be waiting till the snow goes away.

Got my site set up today in the vally, ALOT of snow almost 4 feet still at only 500 ft above. Only did one trip 55 gal and a garbage bag of dog food and bread that was enough for me in one day! Didn't see any bear sine only thawing moose S*!%.

I'm setting up my unit 13 stand on may 4th. I was in there three days ago and the snow was around 3 feet deep.

put my 2 barrels out and one stand. between 5-10 may ill get my food out and second stand. still 3-4 feet in locations in unit 7 at 180 ft above sealevel. Well see in two weeks. Should be close
    NRA life Member JVJ

I was hoping to get my barrel set up, but portions of the trail were cleared this winter and are snowless (tough on the snow machine), and the rest of the trail has too much snow for the wheeler. I am now planning on waiting until May 5th. I wasn't going to put bait out until then anyway.

I tried a few days ago still 3 feet of snow on the ridges the lower elevations are clear but the trail extends over the ridge line.. so stuck for a few more days hoping it melts enough to wheel in there.

Does anyone have the status of the snow level on the steese, past eagle summit?
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Putting ours out in the morning. Good luck to everyone else. We have high hopes this year as they found our site just before we took it down last season.
    Paul

If anyone is looking for barrels, Knights taxidermy in anch(the one with the TV show, mounted in alaska) has some for sale:
    http://www.907bigboytoys.com/categor...R-BAITERS.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast