Thread: New Sako Carbine: 2012 Grizzly

Default New Sako Carbine: 2012 Grizzly

Slightly hefty at 7 3/4 lbs but sure would be a handy little rifle with the fluted medium taper 21.3" carbine barrel. With the medium action, it's chambered for the 9.3x66 sako and the 9.3x62 mauser. It also comes in a lighter short action 338 federal too.

Very nice looking rifle and rugged looking open sights. Wonder how much it costs? My guess is about $2200 which is too rich for my blood!
    http://www.sako.fi/sako85models.php?grizzly

Attached Images Attached Images

It does look nice, but you can build something better for under that price.

Cool to hear .338 Federal is back in production. Sako had dropped it for a while. Looks a whole lot like 338WM out to 200 yards.

Pretty gun, I dunno about $2200.

9.3x66Sako is aka .370 Federal Magnum......maybe this one will finally catch on. It's near .375 ballistics in a 5 down gun. What's not to like?
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Beautiful rifle, but I wish they had just done a 9.3x338 Win Mag, or better yet, a .375 Taylor as a standardized factory cartridge. This would make so much more sense considering the availability of .338 and .458 Win Mag brass.

The old Finnbear Carbine (20") is a nice gun too. I have a full stock with another McMillian stock which puts it around 7 pounds. Mine's in .375H&H but they had them in lesser rounds too. Used they are around $1K.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by drow View Post
    Beautiful rifle, but I wish they had just done a 9.3x338 Win Mag, or better yet, a .375 Taylor as a standardized factory cartridge. This would make so much more sense considering the availability of .338 and .458 Win Mag brass.
    9.3x62 is undergoing something of a revival at the moment and unless I'm mistaken I believe you can form .370 Sako from .30-06 or .35 Whelen brass.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    9.3x62 is undergoing something of a revival at the moment and unless I'm mistaken I believe you can form .370 Sako from .30-06 or .35 Whelen brass.
    It is a nice package. The cartridge has been kept alive in the U.S. for a while by Fred Zeglin of Hawks fame. He builds guns for the cartridge. The case is actually 2.598" long and we cannot make brass from the '06 series, at 2. 494", also the 9.3 shoulder is moved forward. Powder capacity gives it about 2500 fps from the 286 grain bullets, netting 4000 pounds of muzzle energy. The only one I've seen, and shot, was in a synthetic stock and with a matte, blasted metal finish. It is called the SAKO 9.3x66 or the 370 Federal. The rifle was marked 9.3x66 SAKO. I wonder about Federal's line of ammo. Somebody needs to make up their mind, yes I know they are dimensionally the same but ammo needs to match the rifle.

I have an early eighties version of their Battue in 9.3x62, with a 19.3" barrel and those coarse iron sights on the short rib. A quick and handy little rifle.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    The cartridge has been kept alive in the U.S. for a while by Fred Zeglin of Hawks fame.... The only one I've seen, and shot, was in a synthetic stock and with a matte, blasted metal finish. It is called the SAKO 9.3x66 or the 370 Federal. The rifle was marked 9.3x66 SAKO. I wonder about Federal's line of ammo. Somebody needs to make up their mind, yes I know they are dimensionally the same but ammo needs to match the rifle..
    From what I gather the 9.3x66 is pretty popular in Europe...Federal made sort of a half hearted attempt at marketing it here a few years back and a release that was more of a fizzle than a bang. It was like they woke up one day and just forgot it was there. Those sorts of stories usually have a back story but I haven't heard a thing about it.

Maybe they just decided it was better left in Europe,maybe somebody argued about who got paid what. Never have heard of a factory rifle chambered for it outside of Sako. I think its a crying dang shame because that cartridge has a lot of neat attributes that would make it wonderful for the North. I've often thought of having one built up and even though I hand load that is perhaps more hassle than I'm looking for.

Bryce Towsely had written about the 9.3x66 a while back when if first came out. The factory cartridges don't offer much of an advantage over the ole 9.3x62 mauser in my opinion. He actually put them over a chronograph from a 24" barrel. One of the three available factory loads for this cartridge is the Federal Premium with a 286 grain Nosler Partition. Towsley saw 2,486 fps from that load.

Over my chronograph using a 20" barrel, I'm getting 2,460 fps with a 300 grain Swift A-frame, 64 grains of Alliant 2000-MR powder and Lapua brass. Due to generous magazine dimensions, I was able to free up some powder capacity by seating the bullet further out.

I really like that 9.3x66, but after some successful load development with a 9.3x62 there is no velocity advantage with the factory 9.3x66 cartridges. Having such similar case dimensions, you'd probably see an appreciable difference if that 9.3x66 Sako case was stuffed with a full case of 2000-MR. I'm guessing it'll fit about 4-6 grains more powder, and would probably clock the same 300 Swift A-frames about 80 fps faster, but still at the constraints of magazine and action dimensions of the SAKO M action size. I honestly feel the 9.3x66 Sako would need to be a handloader's cartridge to achieve any sort of appreciable gain over my pet handload for the 107 year old 9.3x62.

It was frustratingly disappointing to have put the top factory cartridges available for the 9.3x62 over the chronograph. The Lapua 285 grain megas: 1,980 fps Nosler Custom 286 grain partitions: 2,200 fps, and the 250 grain Nosler custom Accubonds: 2,330 fps. I Consider the 9.3x62 a handloader's cartridge too. It has superb potential, but it happens first on the reloading bench.

Take a look at this article, there's not much difference between the two in the picture:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Webc...ederalsako.pdf

Here in Finland old 9,3x62 is much more popular than 9,3x66 Sako because ammo is cheaper and more guns are made in 62 than 66. Accuracy is fine on both calibers. Pracatical killing power on moose hunts, shots fired 50-200 m, is also similar.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    The factory cartridges don't offer much of an advantage over the ole 9.3x62 mauser in my opinion. He actually put them over a chronograph from a 24" barrel. One of the three available factory loads for this cartridge is the Federal Premium with a 286 grain Nosler Partition. Towsley saw 2,486 fps from that load.I really like that 9.3x66, but after some successful load development with a 9.3x62 there is no velocity advantage with the factory 9.3x66
    Thanks for the link...I did wonder if the 9.3x62 could be significantly improved by handloading- you've pretty well answered that one. Given the scarcity of 9,3x66 brass and the ready available rifles and cartridges of the 9.3x62 that's probably going to swing me in that direction. I love that CZ carbine (at least on paper), just need to find one on a rack somewhere before I plunk down cash.

One of 0ur customoers just ordered a Sauer semi auto 9.3x62

To continue the 9.3x62 love, I just read that Lothar Walther is going to produce short chambered M1 Garand barrels in 9.3x62! Now that would be a cool bear gun!

Only problem would be once the bear heard the last shot and the "ping" he'd know it was time for a bonzai charge out of the alders!

Does anyone have a price on this rifle yet? I can't find a price anywhere.

Here ya go..... about 2800.00 retail. This is an Australian site, but the exchange rate is about 1 to 1.

http://www.extremeoutdoorsports.com....t-action-rifle
    Last edited by stid2677; 11-17-2012 at 05:13.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Almost $3k and not even stainless? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Here ya go..... about 2800.00 retail. This is an Australian site, but the exchange rate is about 1 to 1.

http://www.extremeoutdoorsports.com....t-action-rifle
    But a bace 1911 is over 2K down under with their import tax or whatever it is.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I'm seeing 2300-2400 but nothing is confirmed by and actual seller

Beautiful rifle, really nice and very interesting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS