Thread: Fishing for kings

Default Fishing for kings

What is a good leader line for catching kings from the bank? (brand? and pound test?)

Back in the day when I fished from shore, I used 40 pound spider wire with 50 pound mono leader (P-Line CSX) just to be safe... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    What is a good leader line for catching kings from the bank? (brand? and pound test?)
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

IMO a lot has to do with the river system your fishing. BTF makes a great choice again in my opinion. What I use on the Gulkana can't hold a candle to what I use on the Klutina so on and so forth. To break it down a little if you fishing Spin Gear let's say on the Gulkana with a 8ft Med/ Heavy action rod you can fish 20-25 lbs P Line or equal if your bait casting Spider wire or equal in a 30-40 lbs strength simple because you can spool more and that type of line does not lean well towards spin fishing. On the Klutina I drop down to a 7 7 1/2 ft road and go up to 40-50 lbs P line Spin and for Bait cast I jump up to 60. Basically depending on the size of Kings your fishing with the water volume in the system i.e. 8 miles per hour versus 3-4 will require different gear again IMO.

Hope the info helps.

Moose-O

I don't use braid, only mono, and have never had any problems. I usually stick with a 25 pound mainline with a 20 pound leader. P-line or Maxima are both good choices if using mono.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Yup, really depends on the water you're fishing and the potential size king you may tie into. On the Kasilof I used to always use 20# w/ 17# leader. Never any problems. Now I wouldn't use that same stuff on the Kenai from shore. I tied into a big Kenai king once fishing for silvers on 20 # test. Couldn't do a thing with him. But I do remember years ago an old man caught a 72 pounder from shore on the Kenai. Have no idea what he was using.....maybe halibut gear.....lol

use braid with a mono leader. It is the best way to go imo…… haven't seen or heard of any one breaking off on braid, but it is important to use a good mono leader, other wise the bottom will tear up your braid. Keep in mind you will pay for what you get.

Thanks I bought 30 pound power pro with some 40 pound fluorocarbon for leader, hopefully it will hold up to a few kings from the bank

Its like always, lots of opinions. My 2 cents...I have caught lots of kings from the bank and my go to choice is 20 or 25 lb mono trilene extra tuff low vis green. I have used various brands both mono and braid. ihmo braided lines provide no advantage except headaches with casting, tangles with other lines, or snagged on an object. I have not found any issue with using the line in faster current. I rely on a good baitcaster with a good and drag system to reel in the fish. I normally use a 30 lb mono leader when drifting corky or squids and tie straight to the main line when using hardware.

Good luck with your choice, let us know how it works for you.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    use braid with a mono leader. It is the best way to go imo…… haven't seen or heard of any one breaking off on braid, but it is important to use a good mono leader, other wise the bottom will tear up your braid. Keep in mind you will pay for what you get.
    2 years ago, fishing for Ship creek Kings up toward the dam, had the right spot, right time, right lures... everything was working... except the 40# braided line. Yes I was using mono leaders.... My Braided line snapped off 4 times in about a 2 hours span! Very annoying.... havn't used the stuff since.

I agree with everyone that says it depends on a lot of things.

For example My go to is only 12 pound test. That being said I am bank fishing small rivers with little current or the mouths of the rivers with lots of open water with little pressure with fish that are rarely over 25 pounds on on average are around 14.

I'm sure if i was bank fishing a large river with larger fish 12 would be suicide but for my situation it works great

It all depends on the application.

For the shore-bound angler:
    Bobber/bait... there is NO SUBSTITUTE for braid.
    Classic drift fishing (bottom bouncing) works best with straight mono.
    Pitching hardware (spinners/spoons) works best with mono.
    Cranking plugs works best with braid.

From a boat, I prefer braid for forward trolling and ALL downstream presentations (backbouncing, backtrolling, sitting on anchor). If I'm casting hardware, it's mono. Jigs or bobber/bait.... braid all the way.

Conditions and size of your quarry will dictate the strength you choose. As one poster said you could go as light as 12 in the right conditions. But 20-25# mono and 50-65# braid will cover the broadest range of conditions.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

15 lb Maxima Ultragreen, 9'6" Med/ Heavy St Croix Wild River, and a Shimano Curado 301i caught this 30lber today. Just sayin...uploadfromtaptalk1334639747639.jpg

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    Thanks I bought 30 pound power pro with some 40 pound fluorocarbon for leader, hopefully it will hold up to a few kings from the bank
    just curious, why would you use a lighter main line and a heavier leader? I've always used a 5-10lb lighter line for the leader. If my line breaks I would rather it be the leader than the main line. I think I've lost less gear that way. If my leader breaks I just tie on a new one, if my main line breaks then I've got to tie on a new swivel, weight and leader.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Like these guys said, it all depends on the river and conditions. Down here I'm fishing 10lb Pline or maxima and 4-8lb floro for leader and always floating chunks of skien on either an 11 or 15' rod. But I'm fishing water that looks like it came out of pool, hell I can see the leader in the water drigting by usually.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    just curious, why would you use a lighter main line and a heavier leader? I've always used a 5-10lb lighter line for the leader. If my line breaks I would rather it be the leader than the main line. I think I've lost less gear that way. If my leader breaks I just tie on a new one, if my main line breaks then I've got to tie on a new swivel, weight and leader.
    I generally use a heavier leader material as well, mostly because of all the abrasion the leader takes from rocks etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    For river kings, anything lighter than 25-30# leader can result in a surprise "bite-off" from headshakes and prominent teeth. Folks often beef up their leaders for this purpose, even if it means occasionally risking a mainline break-off if they get snagged up.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

you could still use a 25# to 30# leader and have a heavier main line. I've never had any issues with it on the Klutina and you'd be hard pressed to find a river faster than that one.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine