Thread: 2012 Duck season

Default 2012 Duck season

Just moved up here and wondering if there is any good places to duck hunt around anchorage?

check out the waterfowl hunting forums on this site. Do a quick search and you will get all the info you need.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Good duck hunting up here. You just have to watch where you kill them at. If you kill a bunch late in the year in a salmon stream they will pretty much taste like a long dead fish. I can also remember killing honkers in the Chickaloon (tidal) flats. I thought they were good, but some of my buddies said they thought they taste like mud.

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    Just moved up here and wondering if there is any good places to duck hunt around anchorage?
    Good places..?.......nothing like the rice checks of central Cali, or the pea fields of Manitoba, or the flooded corn fields of Missouri.....but good enough I guess.

BTW no one has ever posted this question before so I am looking forward to the answers you may get.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    check out the waterfowl hunting forums on this site. Do a quick search and you will get all the info you need.
    In other words "Yeah. But we're not telling YOU." LOL I kid, I kid. Just kidding. Tough room.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    In other words "Yeah. But we're not telling YOU."
    Well, its not that we won't tell him where to go, its just that every reasonable place within 60 miles of Anchorage has been discussed in fine detail on dozens of posts on this forum.
    We should add this question to 323's post about favorite questions asked on the Directory.
    I was hoping that this question would not be asked so early in the year though. Let us get in some bear hunting before dredging up the duck stuff.

Ray nailed it on the head. I wasn't trying to be an @$$, just saying a quick "anchorage duck hunt" in the search box would have probably produced about 80 threads on this.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I wasn't trying to be an @$$,
    Nor was I, neither was I trying to say you were; I was really just going for comedy. fail.

Drive north or south of town and look for likely duck habitat, put on boots or waders and go for a walk. If there are ducks around that area this summer they will probably be there Sept 1. If you have a boat or plane there are additional options.

Way to early to be talking about ducks, still have snow on the ground, our beautiful summer will be here in 2 weeks and lots of salmon and trout and greyling to catch before ducks. The very worse thing about duck hunting is that is signifies the end of summer and when we get the water froze up, it will be winter again. I really need to get a snowmacine this year so that I can have outdoor fun in the winter too, as old as i am, can't handle the indoor fun so often any more. Bud
    Wasilla

Very true..well said

Ray nailed it on the head. I wasn't trying to be an @$$, just saying a quick "anchorage duck hunt" in the search box would have probably produced about 80 threads on this.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Ray...LMAO..that is so true..would be interesting wouldnt it?
    Maybe somone out there found a place we dont know about..lol

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Good places..?.......nothing like the rice checks of central Cali, or the pea fields of Manitoba, or the flooded corn fields of Missouri.....but good enough I guess.

BTW no one has ever posted this question before so I am looking forward to the answers you may get.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Ray how you been havent been out duck hunting the last two season been trying to get my son some big game we are going to start duck hutning this year again. Buying a cabin up past lake creek on the fish lakes the owner has hunted ducks on the lake in the past so I will see.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Ray how you been havent been out duck hunting the last two season been trying to get my son some big game we are going to start duck hutning this year again. Buying a cabin up past lake creek on the fish lakes the owner has hunted ducks on the lake in the past so I will see.

I have been OK. Out in the bush early this year and will be gone most the summer, but in town here and there for a quick break. Loosing weight, walking a lot, staying off the beer. The damaged left arm is finally letting me do push ups without screaming for two to three days afterward.