Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf Hunting Questions

Default Wolf Hunting Questions

So I was looking into doing some wolf hunting and couldn't find too much info on it. I was wondering where from Anchorage I am looking at needing to go, what type of hunting is it, what time of year is best, and the bigger question is how does wolf taste? I am a firm believer on you should eat what you kill and try and not let any part of an animal go to waste. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks y'all.

-Matt

People don't eat wolf meat. Not in the all the years I've lived out here have I ever heard of that. And Native people eat just about everything else though. One of my co-workers today was practically drooling while telling me of his plans for this coming weekend and otters.

Wolves are smart. They know the sound of a snowgo means bad news so getting near to them is next to impossible. Most people I know wait until the snow is soft and deep, then the hunting is relatively easy. Find some wolves and drive up near them and shoot them with a .223, .17 HMR or .17 Rem, .222, and one guy who catches quite a few uses a shotgun.

What that means is you'll have to move out to the Bush.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Well shoot lol. I knew it was a long shot for eating the meat since I had never heard of it too but worth asking. Looks like this will be a hunt that I'll plan over the next year and do it maybe in the winter of 2014ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Wolves are smart.
    We were talking about this the other day.....Look how a domesticated dog can be trained, really pretty amazing some of the things they can do.....right? I would be willing to bet that an old wolf is every bit as smart if not smarter. I mean why wouldn't they be?

Quote Originally Posted by ODGamer View Post
    Well shoot lol. I knew it was a long shot for eating the meat since I had never heard of it too but worth asking. Looks like this will be a hunt that I'll plan over the next year and do it maybe in the winter of 2014ish.
    Like a brown bear, (although some do eat them) they are pretty much hunted for their hides. Oh and btw, if you do hunt them you probably want to go north. Although they are all over, it seems to me the father north, the better.

Oh.....but I also have a question.....has anybody heard about the mange condition on the Kenai packs. Anybody kill one down here recently that was in good shape? Or is the mange problem still present in most of the dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Like a brown bear, (although some do eat them) they are pretty much hunted for their hides. Oh and btw, if you do hunt them you probably want to go north. Although they are all over, it seems to me the father north, the better.

Oh.....but I also have a question.....has anybody heard about the mange condition on the Kenai packs. Anybody kill one down here recently that was in good shape? Or is the mange problem still present in most of the dogs?
    Kenai packs were riddled with lice from what I known, hides were never worth much, but its been a while so not sure now....

I eat marten and fox, I reckon wolf is good too. Marten and fox are great meat, really tender, taste a little like grouse. just use a lot of johonies seasoning salt! I feel the same way about you eating what you shoot. I bbq mine. good stuff
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

ODGamer most wolf hunting to me seems to be an incidential kill or accidential however you look at it when I am out hunting another critter.There are some areas of the state where there are higher concentrations but it still seems like a tough go of it,,,them are some pretty smart buggers.... yeah I would rather eat a fishy brownie then a wolf...

I feel ya on the eat what you harvest but rest assured nothing will go to waste when leaving carcus behing you will be perhaps saving some critters by taking a wolf and feeding some others by what you leave behind..
    Last edited by Bear; 04-14-2012 at 22:28. Reason: content

Man...what a drag that it's even gone up north.

Yes, I knew it was bad down here for a number of years, but just hadn't heard anything about it in awhile now. I'm sure it got so bad around here because of the da*n dog packs that were running wild. We actually had the F&G wanting us to shoot any dogs we found far away from homes that looked to be wild. That too I wonder how bad it's gotten now? I know they determined that the main reason we lost nearly our whole caribou heard near Kenai was not only from just the wolves, but from these wild dogs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    People don't eat wolf meat. Not in the all the years I've lived out here have I ever heard of that.
    Correction...........Normal people don't eat wolf..............unless they are starving! Skinned several wolves, and a few hundred fox in my life. The smell alone is enough to tell you not to eat it!
    Used to chop and throw the marten carcasses in the dog pot to boil with the other food, fish usually, for the dog team. Many times the marten chunks went uneaten!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Of those claiming wolf as essentially inedible, I'm curious if any has ever actually tried it, and if so, how was the meat cared for and prepared? Are posters opinions based on culinary experience, or rooted in cultural or emotional bias? What makes eating wolf any different than eating dog?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Of those claiming wolf as essentially inedible, I'm curious if any has ever actually tried it, and if so, how was the meat cared for and prepared? Are posters opinions based on culinary experience, or rooted in cultural or emotional bias? What makes eating wolf any different than eating dog?
    based my opinions on the smell when skinning many out,,,wouldnt eat my dog either... I dont have to taste a steaming pile of poop to know its gonna taste like crap... buts that me I guess...

I have eaten dog in the far east and it was OK and better than rat to me anyway.I willing to try it if given another chance.We know the cat familty taste good so why not wolf.I will say hundred year eggs to me but many love them.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I like high ridges above valleys like Wolves do and I meet them up there fairly often. Take a lunch, even a tent and gear. I like to hunt some ancient Caribou traps that have naturally converging ridges that Caribou and the following Wolves still get funnelled up into. If Im not there, I like to track and spot, as were in wide open country, and if hes not spooked, make a plan with time, terrain and how best to get closest with out spooking them............ but snares are the most productive way to get Wolves, if Trapping is yer gig and you find a kill they are feeding from a kill, but if you dont have snares to set, put out some howling and bring over those who are nearby.

Get up high and howl Owwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh......... Just like in the cartoons,and let out a howl about every 15 minutes.2 people are better, and If they are hunting the ridge you are , the'll be over and most likely howl back at you............ or ride some country you know, and spot/stalk them, intercept them. Get a rig you can make long shots with. Often, if a Wolf feels safe, he will stop and watch you, especially if they are higher than you, maybe in rocks.

We get 40$ for each loose dog we shoot at home.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    ODGamer most wolf hunting to me seems to be an incidential kill or accidential...
    That comment bears repeating. There are people knowledgeable enough and areas of the state productive enough to make a dedicated wolf hunt possible, but most wolves taken by firearms are taken incidentally when hunting other species. When I'm predator calling, I certainly have wolf in the back of my mind...but I've done better on wolf when caribou hunting than when targeting predators.

As for taste, perhaps bushrat can chime in here. I know he's eaten them, though if I recall, he doesn't count it among his favorite meats. On that topic, though, if you get a chance to take a lynx be sure to save the meat. I just had my second meal of lynx in the past month, and it is truly great meat.

I ate a marmot once on a sheep hunt. It wasn't half bad really. Had some pretty meaty hindquarters.......

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Get up high and howl Owwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh......... Just like in the cartoons,and let out a howl about every 15 minutes.
    Yup....over in the Mulchatna drainage I've called up quite a few. Once I was waiting for the cub to come back and get me after taking the last of the moose, gear, and my hunter out. There I was all alone with only my rifle. I threw out a howl and found out pretty quick that they were all around me....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    There I was all alone with only my rifle. I threw out a howl and found out pretty quick that they were all around me....
    That would be an eerie feeling... Being surrounded by wolves after hauling out fresh meat is not high on my "to do list".

Side question then, What are some MUST DO predator hunts? and are they hard to do?

Anyone ever seen or had any succes with wolves in the Chugach? Gonna be up there for sheep and a wolf would be a sweet bonus.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast