Thread: Hunting with a Malamute

Default Hunting with a Malamute

Hello everyone. I am planning on getting an Alaskan Malamute puppy one of these days and from what I read they like to roam out on their own. However I was wondering if it would be possible to train one to stick by my side so I could take it on hunts with me. It would be nice to have the companionship on a long expedition, especially if the hunt takes place over a weekend. Does anybody know if this is possible?

I've taken my yellow lab with me while deer hunting in Virginia. He sat right beside me on a wooded ridge. He actually heard them coming before I did. When I shot one he even wanted to retrieve it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bjennings2012 View Post
    Hello everyone. I am planning on getting an Alaskan Malamute puppy one of these days and from what I read they like to roam out on their own. However I was wondering if it would be possible to train one to stick by my side so I could take it on hunts with me. It would be nice to have the companionship on a long expedition, especially if the hunt takes place over a weekend. Does anybody know if this is possible?
    It is if you find the right dog!

Sorry, just had to say that. The last two Mals my family had were half sisters and one of them would have made a "hunt anything" dog. She hunted birds while in her kennel. She wouldn't eat all her food, lie down and wait for birds to start eating her food then charge out and get a bird or two. She also had a special bark when moose were in the yard. The other one, well, I'm not sure she knew other animals exsited.

I've talked to a guy who hunted with sled dogs, using them carrying packs. He would leave them in camp. He said that once he was glassing a moose about 1/2 a mile from his camp when one of the dogs barked and that moose took off like a rocket.

I guess what I'm saying is that you have to find a special dog and then train them hard to be a hunting dog. Mals weren't bred for their hunting abilities.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I don't like to say it, but you'd BETTER teach your dog not to roam. Because if it does and finds that it likes to chase moose, then the laws up here state that it can legally be shot if found harassing moose. So I'd say that's a pretty good reason to train him/her to stay close.....even besides going on a hunt.

I've got a malamute mix and it's been VERY frustrating to try to teach him to stay put; he's about two, and I'm his third owner, so that kind of gives you an idea of the situation. As of now, I have to keep him tied up constantly, which I hate doing, but that's the way it is. I won't take him snowshoeing anymore, either, because he's disappeared on me every time I have. I'll keep working with him, but it's going to take more time and patience than with other breeds.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    I've got a malamute mix and it's been VERY frustrating to try to teach him to stay put; he's about two, and I'm his third owner, so that kind of gives you an idea of the situation. As of now, I have to keep him tied up constantly, which I hate doing, but that's the way it is. I won't take him snowshoeing anymore, either, because he's disappeared on me every time I have. I'll keep working with him, but it's going to take more time and patience than with other breeds.
    Good luck my friend. They can be great, beautiful dogs, but many sure have their hands full with them for sure. My neighbor has one too. On the chain 24/7. It's really a shame.