Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting hunting trophies through Canada?

Default Transporting hunting trophies through Canada?

I plan on making the drive down the Alcan in 3 weeks. I want to bring my deer mounts, Kodiak Bear rug, and Mtn Goat rug with me. Am i required to fill out a "CITES" permit? I just heard of one the other day. A quick google search says it takes up to 8 weeks to get one approved? Does anybody have anymore information about bringing your trophies down to the lower 48?
    Thanks
    Johnny

I would verify a CITES violation can be serious especially interstate violations. Might want to check with some taxidermists here and the state you are going to. Don,t know about Canada.http://www.fws.gov/le/Travelers/Tips...rtWildlife.htm

Any problem for anyone driving north from SE through Canada? I'm going after sheep, bou, and moose this fall.

A mounted brown bear trophy does require a Cites permit to travel through Canada. The US Fish and Wildlife Service website suggests shipping trophies via the postal service to your destination. You will need to fill out paperwork that will allow you to take your trophies(deer and goat) into Canada and back into the U.S. before you travel. If your in Anchorage you can go to the US Fish and Wildlife Service office at the airport and they will help you with it.

I needed the Cites permit to even ship twenty years ago and think its still the same today.Still need cites for shipping many furs to buyers out of state also.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Shipping game

Off the fish and game website

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...nting.shipping

ak trout-

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

BH - I did the SE run last year and will again this year. Had moose and caribou on the return. On the return into Canada they didn't ask to see anything related to the game. Into US a bit of paper work in their office and you're on your way. Don't know about CITES critters. Most important thing for Canada is firearms forms. Follow the directions and its easy.

Do I need the firearm forms beforehand? Or can I fill everything out at the border? I will only have rifles.

I have my Canadian forms filled out in advace and have the fee in C$'s .... it just goes faster that way. Sometimes they have never even asked to see the guns. Also declare 'Bear' spray if you take it along.

The Canadian border folks probably get the Ferry manifest and know all about you before you ever get to the border crossing.

If you think it is that easy, think again. I had a LONG, and I mean LONG talk at the customs last spring. It may depend on whom you have to deal with, but I specifically asked about bears. It was a long drawn out talk, but the jist of it was, make sure you have your US cites and also what they call the "canadian" approval also. If not, it will be confiscated. I know of a friend of a friend whom had a bear rug done in Alaska and he was heading to Haines, and the Canadians took his rug and it will not be returned, even after the taxidermist called with the US cites permit, etc. Just saying, contact the Canadians, get it in writing, names, whom you talked to, paperwork, etc, to CYA!! It is becoming ridiculous to be honest with you. Even having a naturally found shed antler is becoming a big deal. Still haven't figured out how I will get my African mounts back up to AK from MT, but will figure it all out once the time comes.

Sounds like its easier just to pay the money and ship stuff.

I have learned that it is easier to pay and ship. You never know whom you will get at a border crossing. As we were getting body cavity searched, I was having this conversation with the Canadian customs officer. I know a friend who is law enforcement who was "forced" to pay the gun charge on his weapon! I have a friend from MT bring my stuff up to Haines via ferry and then I mail it to myself in Tok. Mailing within Alaska is cheap. All I can stress is to CYA! The officer at the customs told me that "black bears" are endangered in BC, thus the concern. I was blown away!

Why the need for permits on stuff that is already mounted?

Candians play by different rules. You want to have a good time at the border crossing, have a bear, lynx, wolf, or wolverine with you. It is not any fun. All I will say is make sure you have all your ducks in a row with US paper work and anything that the Canadian's want.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Candians play by different rules. You want to have a good time at the border crossing, have a bear, lynx, wolf, or wolverine with you. It is not any fun. All I will say is make sure you have all your ducks in a row with US paper work and anything that the Canadian's want.
    Ditto:

When we were preparing to bring my son's grizzly through the border after our float hunt in 2010 the feds recommended to us to send it through Alaska air freight because Canada would charge $300 to bring it in and another $300 to take it out of Canada. To avoid the hassle we sent it air freight.

I wouldn't take anything with you that is an animal part dead or alive. Go to a moving compay they will mount your stuff in a shipping container and send it also can put other things in their too. Much easier . and permits for shipping bears are expensive. I had a U.S. agent when going from Canada back into U.S. send out a dog to check for animal parts. I asked why he said I had a cabelas hat on and must be a hunter. and could have picked up animal parts on the way. Also had to like the question do you have any guns I said no he replied you can tell me your back in the U.S. I said no again.

I too might be transporting many trophies through Canada this summer including a 9 1/2' lifesized brown bear, and several other bear rugs, skins, and skulls. I have been on the phone with the US F&W and have a large email with all of the permits and other info. If you'd like me to forward you the email just let me know. I can't imagine what it would cost to ship my bears another way, so I guess I'll be taking the tough road. They also said NEVER take any marine mammal parts through Canada, ship them for sure. You only need CITES permits for Bears (brown and black), wolves, and lynx.

Quote Originally Posted by goaty View Post
    I too might be transporting many trophies through Canada this summer including a 9 1/2' lifesized brown bear, and several other bear rugs, skins, and skulls. I have been on the phone with the US F&W and have a large email with all of the permits and other info. If you'd like me to forward you the email just let me know. I can't imagine what it would cost to ship my bears another way, so I guess I'll be taking the tough road. They also said NEVER take any marine mammal parts through Canada, ship them for sure. You only need CITES permits for Bears (brown and black), wolves, and lynx.
    Goaty, make sure you contact the BC and Yukon customs. Just CYA!!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Northway funny you say this..several years ago crossing the border I had my guns and proper paperwork so no problem there but we got on the subjuct of hunting and the Canadian customs made sure to let me know black bears were endangered..looked him straight in the eye and said thank you sir and went about my way and right then and there I decided to be very careful of what I crossed the border with..

Quote Originally Posted by goaty View Post
    They also said NEVER take any marine mammal parts through Canada, ship them for sure.
    Quoted for truth. Fortunately we got a heads up before we headed through last year, would've hated for them to have taken our nice sealskin and otter hats!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast