Thread: Rabbit and hare hunting in Kodiak?

Default Rabbit and hare hunting in Kodiak?

I run beagles for rabbits in Virginia and I am applying for a job in Kodiak. Anyone care to let me know how rabbit and hare hunting is on the Island?

Default Rabbit and hare hunting with dogs.

I was just curious what type, size and speed of dogs you run for hare and rabbit on the island and if there are many problems with bears or other animals?

well, i see you're not getting any love here, eh...?
    there are snowshoe hares on kodiak, no rabbits. assuming they hunt 'em there like we hunt 'em here, you might use one dog to move 'em around a bit but we mostly still hunt with a .22 and head shoot them. even with a dog i hope for the bunny to stop and sit, just not that fond of eating shot.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I ran my lab a few times last winter, never done dogs before, but the hares up here in big lake ran in a loop like they say in the magazine articles...I reckon they would be the same on kodiac. sorry I wish I could be more help.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

So it sounds like not many people run dogs for hares up there. From what I can gather, other than hares, ptarmigan is the only other small game to hunt on the island?

Quote Originally Posted by adjessup View Post
    So it sounds like not many people run dogs for hares up there. From what I can gather, other than hares, ptarmigan is the only other small game to hunt on the island?
    if it will give you any consolation. there are several varieties of Ptarmigan, as well as several species of grouse.. all depends on where you are (In Alaska) what might present itself. Should you be lucky enough to stumble into an area where the Hare population is up, and there has been little hunting pressure, they don't run, but simply hunker down assuming they are invisible allowing a nice easy head shot. Even in areas that have experienced hunting pressure, they don't often run very far giving you the opportunity to see how good you are with your 22 at a respectable distance..

So Kodiak is big game, big fish and lots of sea ducks? Where in Alaska is the best rabbit/hare hunting and/or bird hunting? I will admit that the allure of sea duck hunting and looking for ducks inland is alluring to me in Kodiak.

Quote Originally Posted by adjessup View Post
    So Kodiak is big game, big fish and lots of sea ducks? Where in Alaska is the best rabbit/hare hunting and/or bird hunting? I will admit that the allure of sea duck hunting and looking for ducks inland is alluring to me in Kodiak.
    I haven't been there for about 10 yrs now, but the last time I was over on the west side of Kodiak there was about a bazillion Hare setting around at the lower elevations in a wooded area. This was during deer season.

Hey adjessup. I had problems with my browser and was unable to post till I switched browsers, so sorry for the later response.

I hunted snowshoes with beagles on Kodiak for close to 20 years, but quit when we went out of the dog business. It's entirely viable, and quite productive. One thing you'll notice if you grew up on cottontails and dogs like I did, the snowshoes are waaaaaaaay out in front of the dogs, they're so much faster and not prone to going to ground. Their defense is speed and they have plenty. Best strategy is to move toward where you heard first strike and settle in there quietly and wait till you hear the dogs turn back in your direction. Then watch close, because the hare will be coming lots sooner than you would guess by the sounds.

Lotta wind, and the dogs can lose the trail in a hurry. Pick more or less calm days. Damp is okay, but outright rain is worthless. Watch out for fox and deer, if your dogs haven't been around them. They run straight away, and you won't see your dogs again for hours. If that happens, go back to your truck and spread your coat on the ground and open a baggy of dog food and leave it there. Check back that evening and again in morning, and your dog will be sleeping on the coat next to an empty baggy, wondering where in the heck you have been.

Trapping season on Kodiak means fox snares, so either carry a pair of really good wire cutters or stay home. And be alert.

One "good" thing in an up year for hares- be ready for the dogs to come back with up to a dozen hares in front of them. That will add lots of excitement to your day! Figure out how you're going to pack lots of hares though. Our record day was 37 in three hours, but at close to 5 pounds each, you can see the problem.

Right on thanks for the post. So what size and speed of beagles did you run? I have two 13" beagles around 20 lbs one even medium and one upper medium. So it sounds like the biggest problem is snares and not bears? I have had buddies lose almost all thier dogs to coyotes in the matter of minutes.

Over the years we had both 13's and 15's, as well as bassets. No real issue with any of them. In fact the bassets may have been best for training, because I could outrun them when they got on deer or fox, and prove to them it was a bad idea. Had to resort to shock collars with the beagles, but they learned too. Never had a problem with bears, mostly because they aren't up and around when we do most of our rabbit hunting.

So I am guessing there are no training pens like we have here so you did all your training in the field? I guess I would have to come up with some ideas to keep them in condition. You know anyone on the island that runs beagles?

Don't know of anyone doing it any more. As for training, the snowshoe hare season is 24-7-365, so you can get them out to run any time weather and schedules permit.

Hey BrownBear, as luck and good fortune has it I landed the job in Kodiak. I will be bringing my beagles with me. I was wondering if you would be interested in meeting up and talking about running dogs for hare on the Island?

Lots of great snoeshoe hunting here. I would skip the dogs, definitely not needed.
    These rabbits tend to flush a short distance making them about perfect .22lr game. shots are usually inside 15yds and the brush that holds good numbers of rabbits is thick.

I have a beagle that chases the rabbits through my yard here a couple times a week, I see a rabbit hauling #@@ through the yard, and can hear that beagle a half mile away, he is usually a couple minutes behind the rabbit. Hes a neighbors from about a alf mile away, man he is tireless, Im pretty sure he never even sees those rabbits nevermind catches one.