Thread: 8mm Rem Mag load...???

Default 8mm Rem Mag load...???

Hay all.....I'm about to get back into reloading again (it's been years) and am wondering if I should think about changing powders. I mean bullets and powders have changed so much that I'm wondering if there is a better load for the "Big 8" nowadays?

I still have 150, 200 grn. Nosler Partitions that I plan on loading up. And I've still got 2 jugs of H4831. I'm sure I'll still be "fine" with my load of course. But I was just wondering if anybody else around here has done a lot of loading for the 8mag and if he's found a sweet load that I might want to look into?

Thanks Much....

Partitions are sure hard to beat, even with today's bullet innovations. And 4831 has been a great powder since it was offered as surplus after WWII, I use it regularly for several cartridges. If your load has been working all these years it would be hard for me to justify messing with it. If you really just want to shake it up abit I would try the 220gr Swift Aframes, they are a super tough bullet and would be a great choice for the 8mag. The downside to them is they cost a buck apiece or so.
    Maybe you could work up a practice load using some cheap bullets, like Corlokts or Sierras. With some experimenting you may be able to get them to hit the same POA.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Maybe you could work up a practice load using some cheap bullets, like Corlokts or Sierras. With some experimenting you may be able to get them to hit the same POA.
    Thanks for your input. That's funny you say this. I went to the range a couple weeks ago and shot my old girl. I hadn't shot the big 8 in a long, LONG time. Besides just wanting to shoot it to see if it was still on, I actually wanted to use up some old Corelokts that I've had for years. I was very surprised to shoot a 1" group even with them. Of course I have glass bedded and floated the barrel too.

I'll just go ahead and use up the Noslers since I have so many of them and they are really hard to beat. My main thought was powder. I found some old Nosler data that said they found RL22 to be the most accurate powder from their test gun. But then again, I have read that the RL22 is pretty susceptible to temps. So we can't have that in AK.

Anyway...I just wanted to throw it out there. But apparently nobody else around here shoots one......that doesn't surprise me tho.

Thanks again....

I shoot an 8mm Mag, it is a factory Remington 700, one of their classic models, I think it was the 1998 classic cartridge. Here is what I am shooting:
    Rem Brass
    220gr Sierra boatail softpoint (this is one of their Game King line of bullets, a very tough cup and core bullet, no issues shooting moose, caribou, elk, etc, it would not be my first choice for grizzly though)
    Federal 215 primer
    Cartridge overall loaded length: 3.652" which is .010" off of the lands/grooves
    80.8 grains of H4831SC

Out of a 24" factory Rem 700 barrel I am getting 2851 fps with a standard deviation of about 8 fps. It averages .767", and that is an average of about 100+ rounds using the above load data (about 35 3 shot groups)

8mm Rem Mag
    220gr Hornady SP
    74.0 of IMR 4350
    Do Not Exceed
    COAL: 3.60"
    Vel 2855 FPS

Rem Cases and Rem 9.5M primers
    Alaska

I've had great results with the 200 grain tsx and reloader 22.