Thread: McClaren River

Default McClaren River

Thinking of doing a float hunt on the Mcclaren. Anybody ever done this before. I would consider myself a novice rafter in fact just plain ole beginner. I am not interested in doing something technical. My father will be my hunting partner and I do not want one mistake to turn a GREAT trip into a trip that is only remembered by the bad. Looking for CLS I water with nothing more than what the upper Kenia has to offer as far as difficulty.

I am limited to unit 13 this year as I put in for the Type II tag so I must moose and boo hunt this area that is why the McClaren is on my mind unless someone has another idea?????

Back to the river question anybody done this. i call the lodge and they do not offer service to run you up river when hunting since that is non motorized but will pick you up down river.

if you float down you'll have to fly out or get picked up by a power boat coming down from the big sue bridge. theres a lot of folks trying to get creative for moose in unit 13 because of teir I and the area is getting flooded with moose hunters in any accesiable areas. one guy lined a canoe up part of that area and had folks on almost every gravel bars. interior unit 13 i spend some time in, saw more people this past year than i'd ever seen in 14 years....
    get creative as you can and throw money at it, or just do the basic four wheeler around, live in a parkin' lot, float a little creek, pull a canoe somewhere...just remember if you do all this you need to be able to haul around whatever you kill!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

If you get bold, there are areas of Unit 13 where you could moose/caribou hunt and never see another person for weeks. It seems like everybody and their brother are headed for the McClaren. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose&Duck_Hunter View Post
    Thinking of doing a float hunt on the Mcclaren. Anybody ever done this before. I would consider myself a novice rafter in fact just plain ole beginner. I am not interested in doing something technical. My father will be my hunting partner and I do not want one mistake to turn a GREAT trip into a trip that is only remembered by the bad. Looking for CLS I water with nothing more than what the upper Kenia has to offer as far as difficulty.

I am limited to unit 13 this year as I put in for the Type II tag so I must moose and boo hunt this area that is why the McClaren is on my mind unless someone has another idea?????

Back to the river question anybody done this. i call the lodge and they do not offer service to run you up river when hunting since that is non motorized but will pick you up down river.
    This float is not class I in character. It also can be physically demanding with fast fluctuating waters plus take out logistical considerations. I would put this trip in a multi-day wilderness adventure loaded light for a first pass vs. a float hunt for Moose and Caribou. I think it's good that you posted here and appear to be on the side of being smart/conservative to have a great trip with your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    This float is not class I in character. It also can be physically demanding with fast fluctuating waters plus take out logistical considerations. I would put this trip in a multi-day wilderness adventure loaded light for a first pass vs. a float hunt for Moose and Caribou. I think it's good that you posted here and appear to be on the side of being smart/conservative to have a great trip with your father.

I had not heard that about the McClaren being physically demanding but that is why I posted. I have learned that rivers here in Alaska can fool you and you can not take for granted one section to the next as they change rapidly. I knew the river has a rock garden but really thought the logistics was always my REAL concern. They are indeed a concern ... would still love to do this even if just a float trip. Is there one part of the river more technical than another?

I am contemplating doing a fly in hunt and just getting way back in there and enjoying some solitude. Guess we will see how much money I can throw at this hunt this year. Any recommendations on who to call about fly in outfitters in the area. Do not want to turn this into a slam session if you have had a bad experience though and not really sure if I should be asking the question I will leave this to the moderators and if I am in the wrong I will withdraw the question.

one other thing to look into might be alpine creek lodge just down the road from maclaren, hes a big moose hunter and would know more about the area around there and be able to offer insight to what he's seen for the area. unit 13 is big, in a way folks don't understand and like mainer said there are places you can go where there are no people, but something basic and not thought out probably isn't it.
    denalihunter is the guy to PM about alpine creek lodge. even if its not what your looking for, might be good to explore some options that way you've got some broader ideas to work from.
    seems like unit 13 is a tough area to access via fly in service, theres a couple here and there in each hub around the area, cantwell, takleetna, glennallen, not sure about the paxson area though. But pulling a plane up outa the mat valley gets spendy and then your dealing with alot more weather to fly thru due to the longer flying...best bet is to pick an area as best you can, then figure out how to get to it. if that don't work, then try it the other way around.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Butch at Gracious House has a plane and does drop off's for sheep and moose his # are 907-822-7207, 907-259-1111

Don't tell him where please!

Walt
    www.gulkanaraftrenral.com