Thread: Question for anyone with dogs?

Default Question for anyone with dogs?

We have a lab/border collie mix male dog, that is 4 1/2 years old. Earlier tonight he had two seizures that were about 8 minutes apart. He sayed concious the whole time. But was wondering what could have caused it and why did he have one all of a sudden and never had one before? Also what should we do?

Two years ago our 6 year old Rott/Shep mix had a seizure that lasted about 30 seconds........scared the crap out of us. Rushed him to the vet. By the time we got there he was fine. Vet checked him, had no idea.

We just kept an eye on him and he has not had one since.

If I were not going to take him to the vet, I would invest some time into looking around to see if maybe he got into something.

Hope everything turns out fine.

Any puddles of antifreeze around your house? How about Easter chocolates? Good luck.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Antifreeze will not cause your dog to seizer and come out of it. Take it from someone who knows first hand, they are very "loopy", stumble around and are in a euforic state, they will also urinate on themselves. If antifreeze was ingested they would not go in and out of a seizer and without prompt medical attention would not be standing in front of you at this moment. Antifreeze takes their life within a few hours without treatment, and even with treatment there is no guarantee they would be the same afterwards.

What I would be more worried about is Epilepsy which can be controlled by meds and can be very common in an older dog. Insulin secreting tumors of the pancreas in older dogs, may also precipitate seizures.

I would certainly get your dog to the vet to get a panel drawn. Good luck and keep us posted!

Debbie

A bit off the subject but since Huntress mentioned it I thought I would pass this on.

My dog drank some antifreeze 10+ years ago, she past last fall at the age of 13. Anyway, it was my fault she drank the antifreeze because I didn't clean it up off the garage floor before she got to it. Rather quickly I noticed she was acting very strange just as Huntress described. I called our veterinarian and woke him up (it was very early) and he said to take her outside and force feed her 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide. It induced vomiting to remove what hadn't already been absorbed. In relatively short order she was back to normal. I was very lucky to have figured out what happened and noticed her odd behavior so soon or I wouldn't have gotten all those years out of her as it could have just as easy taken her then. I would also have to agree that it doesn't cause seizures but I'm no veterinarian either.

Default Hospital website

You are welcome to visit our hospital website to find information on seizure disorders and much more. Go to http://soldotnaanimalhospital.com/ and click on the link for library. There will be a wealth of information there for you.

I would advise for you to contact your veterinarian and consult with him regarding your experience. Fortunately, seizure disorders are usually treatable and often do not require treatment for some time.

I hope all goes well for you.

DrB

Default seizures....

Many years ago, I raised a small, female leader named Inky. Her second summer she had several seizures. I took her to my vet....he could find no reason for the episodes....it wasn't epilepsy, though. I found her a home with a musher who was just starting out. I told him her history including the seizures. He subsequently discovered that she had a liking for the mushrooms that grew around his dogyard, and, after indulging, would seize. He thought it was harmless and that she was "tripping." She was his leader for a number of years. I liked Inky, and was glad he appreciated her.

I had another dog, at one time, who became epileptic as as 3 year old. It doesn't work for a sled dog.