Thread: How will the high-density polyethylene (HDPE) sheds like you get at Costco hold up?

Default How will the high-density polyethylene (HDPE) sheds like you get at Costco hold up?

I was thinking about getting one of those types of sheds for my remote cabin. My concern is that it will get destroyed by the bears...Any thoughts?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...ang=en-US&Sp=C

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Snowload could be a consideration as well.....
    BK

Your money would be better spent on regular building material . Just look around in town and you will see that a lot of that type of sheds got crushed by the snow and that is where people have access to them on a regulsr basis. I am sure that the bears and the porcupine's would like to chew on them as with any type of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by 1875XA View Post
    My concern is that it will get destroyed by the bears...Any thoughts?

I wouldn't........bears would make quick work out of that thing if they want to.

I thought about the snow load and figured I would need o add a few more supports for sure. I have thought the same thing about the bears. I was trying to figure out an easier and cheaper way to get a shed out to my cabin....I have learned that cheaper and easier is often not better...sounds like this might be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by 1875XA View Post
    I thought about the snow load and figured I would need o add a few more supports for sure. I have thought the same thing about the bears. I was trying to figure out an easier and cheaper way to get a shed out to my cabin....I have learned that cheaper and easier is often not better...sounds like this might be the case.

What about just building a shed OFF your cabin? You'd already have one wall built for you. Depending on how nice you want it, a few 2x4s and few sheets of 1/2" ply and you're good to go. Could even build the roof out of 2x4s if you go with a steep enough pitch and use some metal roofing. Again....depending on how nice a shed you gotta have....

Hi there, 1875, I don't post often but I have one of those in SE and it has worked fine. Fairly narrow window of parameters led me to it. 1) No bear activity where I am at (knock on wood) for the last 3 years but I keep it really clean. 2) Limited snow load under the trees. 3) Extra rafters inside. 4) Much cheaper price. 5) Great rot resistance.
    It was quick to put together and with all the above going for it, it has worked out very well.

Rebel...nice to hear. I was thinking about adding some braces to it for winter.

I've had one for 4 years now
    Even took it halfway apart and moved it once and it still held up this winter
    I did put a good treated wood platform under it
    I have cleared the snow off a couple times this winter
    Freind of mine who was a builder said he didn't think he could build one out of wood for that cost (this was an 8x10 for aboout $900) when you consider mine had double doors, man door on the side, couple of windows, loft.
    Went up in about 3 hours
    I was suprised to see that the one I got back then was made in Israel, shipped over, and apparently still sold for a profit