Thread: Perrrfect Rifles???

Default Perrrfect Rifles???

It is a rainy day here, and I am stuck inside with a spring cold and got to thinking, would we really want perfect shooting guns?
    I mean, if you bought any rifle, used any load, and they all shot one hole groups I think we would all quit shooting wouldn't we? And, my fear would be we would have no excuse to avoid the dreaded shopping trips with our wives, would have to watch chick flicks on Saturday afternoons, and the list goes on...Ohhh that sends chills down my spine!!!

No sireee, give me one with a bent barrel and an excuse to pound some test loads down range!
    What do you chaps think???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

The plethora of true sub-MOA rifles at low, low prices is distressing. The plethora of good controlled expansion bullets is another.... what ever will we use for an excuse to buy another one?

Once they catch on it'll be -"You've already got a rifle that shoots 1/2" groups and with those great bullets you can kill anything from a prarie dog to a cape buffalo...what do you need another gun for?"
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Just look at it this way as if we did own rifles that shot one ragged hole, I for one still wouldnt physically be able to

If there was a perfect rifle we would just buy that one, and not have all this other stuff cluttering up our gun safes. It seems to be an endless search to find a rifle that is CLOSE to perfect.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Ahh the endless search for the perfect rifle. Personally I have several perfect rifles and no doubt they will remain so until a more perfect one comes along.

In my opinion "PERFECTION" -- is only something we humans only strive for and with it we stop looking for what's next. And the ball keeps rolling!!!
    Goo

There are hundreds of perfect rifles but few perfect hunter/shooters.With granddads beater you could still put as much on the table as he did with it and except for writers and tv shows saying you can't many still would and some do.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    The plethora of true sub-MOA rifles at low, low prices is distressing. The plethora of good controlled expansion bullets is another.... what ever will we use for an excuse to buy another one?

Once they catch on it'll be -"You've already got a rifle that shoots 1/2" groups and with those great bullets you can kill anything from a prarie dog to a cape buffalo...what do you need another gun for?"
    The answer to that would be to become a competitor in 3-gun, NRA action pistol, cowboy action shooting, F-class benchrest and 5-stand sporting clays. "Honey, I NEED and AR-15, an 870, two 1911s, a 357, 45 long colt, 30-30, 45-70, 6.5x55 Swede, 300 Win Mag, 338 Lapua and an over under 12 gauge."

All that without ever even setting foot in the field to hunt. Dont even get me started about what you NEED out there.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    The answer to that would be to become a competitor in 3-gun, NRA action pistol, cowboy action shooting, F-class benchrest and 5-stand sporting clays. "Honey, I NEED and AR-15, an 870, two 1911s, a 357, 45 long colt, 30-30, 45-70, 6.5x55 Swede, 300 Win Mag, 338 Lapua and an over under 12 gauge."

All that without ever even setting foot in the field to hunt. Dont even get me started about what you NEED out there.
    Very good Highestview! I know when I shot sporting clays competitions I shot it all, sub ga, side x side, pump gun etc. My vehicle looked like a mobile gun show at tines! I luv guns, my favorititus one is usually my NEXT ONE!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Perfect rifle:

A lever action with a light/petite machined steel receiver and an internal rotary mag that holds six 358 Winchester Cartridges

A one piece fancy walnut stock glass bedded and free floated barrel channel

An overall weight of six lbs even with a 20 " lapped/match grade barrel

A lever with a 40 degree throw and possibly made of titanium.

Integral weaver base groves in the top of the receiver and the barrel which would make that an additional scope mounting point for a scout configuration that comes standard.

Standard quick release rings made of titanium

Flip up ghost ring rear sight that flushly lowers jussssssst clear of the tang when a scope is in use. The rifle should have a tight peep too for longer shots (at the flip of a lever)

Complete disassembly with no tools.

Switch barrel options.

2.5 lb trigger

Exposed hammer/hinged like a BLR with no other safety

Sako style extractor, ejector and bolt lock-up

Spring loaded titanium ejection port cover.

I can dream can't I?

Mainer,

How much are you willing to pay for your dream rifle? Sure sounds nice...

To argue a bit with Mainer, I think the rifle should be a bolt action.

Here is my idea of a perfect rifle.

1. Consistent 1/2 MOA groups with any ammo.

2. Weight of the rifle with scope of about five pounds.

3. Recoil is about like a 243.

4. Hits like a 375 H&H.

I think that about does it on this mythical rifle I want.
    NRA Life Member since 1974