Thread: Guide Reccommendations

Default Guide Reccommendations

My aunt and uncle are coming up around Labor Day weekend this year and will likely be fly fishing on the Kenai Peninsula. They are not attached to one particular river, so what river would be the best at this time of year and what guide would be the best for a great day of fishing? Additionally, I think that they would enjoy any species of fish from rainbow trout to salmon. Thanks in advance for your help.

I would get in touch with Troutfitters or Mystic Waters and do a Kenai trip.
    Middle river would be hot for bows and dollys plus there should be some silvers to be had.
    Upper river would be good for bows and dollys.
    A canyon trip would also be good for bows and dollys plus the scenery is quite nice.

Scott Sager with Drifting on the Fly. Float the Kenai, either the canyon or middle river.

I have used a couple guides down there when family has come in and the BEST by far has been Kenai River Fly Fishing guides. I think our guides name was Mike and he was super friendly and helpful without being pushy. If your family hasn't fly fished a bunch or even if they have they/he would be a great company to run with.

I agree with Kaveman. Scott Sager is an excellent guide and super friendly. You can't go wrong Drifting on the Fly!!

Does Sager have a permit to guide in the canyon?

Yes Scott does have a permit for the canyon. Give him a call at 382 6808.

Is this something new?
    I did a little checking and unless you are referring to the 3 'incidental' trips allowed by the refuge or he is an employee of someone with a refuge permit Scott Sager does not have a refuge guiding permit. That would include the upper kenai from sportmans to skilak.
    The other 3 businesses mentioned in this thread, Kenai FlyFishing, Trout FItter and Mystic Waters, all have the refuge permits.

I know I have floated the canyon with Scott multiple times with a permit to float the refuge. Now whether that is a year long permit or a permit for 3 trips or not, I don't know. I do know he floats it with a permit because I have been with him multiple times. The question was "Does Scott have a permit to guide in the canyon" my answer is yes. If you are looking for more of an official answer, call him and ask. If you are looking for a lodge who has a year long permit then you may want to call a lodge with a year long permit.

I just wanted to update this thread and give a big thanks to Scott Sager from Drifting on the Fly and those who recommended him. My aunt and uncle had a phenomenal trip not only because the fishing was great but because Scott was very personable and professional. He really tailored the trip to fit their needs and abilities and they had a great time. Highly recommended.

cwm907 I'm glad you had an awesome trip. Your experience with Scott is why I recommend him so much. Scott is the hardest working guide I have ever seen. Plus he will do everything he can to personalize your trip to you. Not to mention put you on fish.

Thanks for the recommendation Kaveman. They really enjoyed it!