Thread: how to trap mink?

Default how to trap mink?

I'm in need of some good advise.
    How do I catch mink? There are a few minks here and I don't want them in my chickencoop.
    Any advise?
    "i am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t.... I mean s-m-A-r-t."

Do you have much experience trapping other things? look for their trails and set a 110 on the trail if you have a creek near by make a pocket set baited with fish. if you could tell a little about your trapping experience it would help answer your question. I by no means am a good trapper (never even tried to trap mink) but I know a little about it and will tell you what I know.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I have no experience trapping at all, there is a lake nearby, and a little creek. What is a 110?
    Thanks
    "i am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t.... I mean s-m-A-r-t."

ok, this will be a long thread post with a lot of links....

first of all, get the trapping regulations I don't' know anything about iceland, so I don't know what is legal there. but I will go by what is a generally legal way to trap.

a 110 is a what is called a body grip trap, or also commonly called a connibear, although connibear is a brand name but just like we call any bandage a "bandaid" here in america (everything I say is american, I don't know if you guys have different names for them over there) there are 4 basic sizes of body grips, 110, 120, 220, and 330. here is a link of body grip traps http://www.wild-about-trapping.com/t..._explained.htm

there are also foot holds, and there is so much to explain I will just post a link so I don't say something wrong. http://www.wild-about-trapping.com/t..._explained.htm there are 2 links on the bottom of the page that i just liked to that explain how to set it and the working parts

Ok, so now, I will take the liberty of assuming you want to start out small. Just for the sake of illustration, say you have money for 4 traps. and some gear.
    because you said you have a creek with a lake, I will advise you to buy 2, No 1 coil or long spring traps (the are both good mink traps, just buy which ever one is cheaper, typically the coil springs will be cheaper) you will also need some wire, and some metal stakes,unless you have sand then you can use wood, but its all rock then metal is better, you can use re-bar, its probably cheapest if you buy it in a 6 foot length and cut them to 11/2 foot lengths. and some lure/bait. you pretty much can use any old meat or fish for bait as long as its legal. and some good trapping lure, you can get that at an outdoor shop.

So, as of now you got home from the out door store, you will have in the back of your truck,
    4 traps
    1 100foot roll of 14 or 16 ga wire.
    4 1 1/2 foot metal stakes
    1 bottle lure (anything that says mink on it)
    1 big piece of bait, such as a can of sardines that you can use as bait.
    1 pair of leather gloves

so,

first order of business is boil them, pretty simple, get some common plants, what ever really commin plants grow along the river get a hand full of those and get a big cooking pot, and fill it with water, get it boiling and put the traps, wire and plants in there and boil for about 2 minutes. then pull them out with your gloves (you can tie the end of the traps together with a loop of wire so they are easier to get)

then you want to stick them in a clean plastic container or bucket (I like the bucket to carry all my stuff with them)

then your ready.

ok, so now you walk out to your creek, and look for sign, if you have a fluffy snow or mud on the banks it is helpful to find tracks they will look like this in the mud http://www.bear-tracker.com/minktracksmud.jpg and this in the snow http://lh6.ggpht.com/-cj4VVw_ZfmU/SS...MinkTracks.jpg

then take out a connibear, and set on right on the trail, push some sticks into the mud or snow in-between the spring levers to stabilize it, and put some juice from the sardines on each side of the trail, just a little. (tuna in oil is also good bait)

then wire it to a stake which you pounded into the ground leaving 5 or so inches out of the ground prior to setting the trap. make sure you wrap the wire around the rod really tight. so it doesn't shimmy up the pole if you catch one and it doesn't kill it.

next you go to the creek and stand on the bank, and if there is a bit of a drop off right into the water, even if its a couple inches, and dig a small hole (if its hard ground use your stake and ream it out) then bed a foot hold just under the water (this can be a little tricky, you want it bedded solid, but with just maybe an inch of water over it. bt you also want the hole in the bank to the about an inch from the bank. like this http://icwdm.org/Images/raccoon/Raccoo23.gif then you put some fish in the back and along with some lure and don't forget to stake that trap! how ever for this trap, when you stake it down, attach about 4 or 5 feet of wire (make it a loop around the chain and stake so its doubled) so the mink goes to deeper water and drowns. also you can take a pipe and stick one end in the mud bank and stick a trap at one end. with some bait in the back.

on that note I must go, as I have been in the process of writing this for 2 hours and I but go to bed I will write more later.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I will try and expand a bit on what furfishgame has posted. If your mink have never been trapped boiling and dying the traps is not absolutely necessary. Also with mink the fresher the bait the better particularly if you can use some type f fish native to the stream or lake. If foothold are not legal you can put a bodygrip trap in front of the hole so that the mink must pass through it to get the bait.
    If the mink are getting into your chicken coop already and you can figure out where block that area off from the chickens and set a trap there. Just make sure you make it so you don't catch your chickens. As you are scouting for mink you can also look under overhanging banks on the creek often mink will swim tight to the edge of the streambank there or if there is land there they will run the bank and you will see tracks . A well placed body grip will take them . Make sure when setting a bodygrip that you stabilize it so it will not fall.
    Here is a place you may look for some basic set ideas on taking mink to help you out
    http://www.trapperman.com/trapperman/basic_sets.htm
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

I dont dye traps, I just boil them when they are new to get the factory oil off or if they get gas or what ever on them. if you catch one in a foot hold that is not dead, hit it on the head with stick a the base of the nose (knocks it out) then grab right behind the shoulder where the heart is and squeeze as hard as yo can, to burst the heart very human

Your killing me FFG, lol. Set your set so the animal can get out into at least 18" of water and put out a tangle stick, no need to wack them and pop hearts that way. IMO blind body conibear sets (110s or 120s) are the best for mink. Set them in an obvious run you will get your critter.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    I dont dye traps, I just boil them when they are new to get the factory oil off or if they get gas or what ever on them. if you catch one in a foot hold that is not dead, hit it on the head with stick a the base of the nose (knocks it out) then grab right behind the shoulder where the heart is and squeeze as hard as yo can, to burst the heart very human

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    Your killing me FFG, lol. Set your set so the animal can get out into at least 18" of water and put out a tangle stick, no need to wack them and pop hearts that way. IMO blind body conibear sets (110s or 120s) are the best for mink. Set them in an obvious run you will get your critter.
    Yeah but thats complicated, whacking of hte head is simple. and trying to explain to somebody how to trap over the internet is hard enough.... Smell what I'm steppin in?

Lol.. If you find a good spot to set a foothold just wire some weight to the trap and have enough wire for them to get to the water. No need to make this complicated. They'll hit the water and sink like a box of rocks, very simple..very effective. Hasn't failed me yet.

I took a mink or two this year with that set up