Thread: 23' Glasply Marauder Questions

Default 23' Glasply Marauder Questions

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at a 23' Glasply Marauder in Juneau and it doesn't have a trailer. Does anyone know where I can find the spec weight or recommend the correct size trailer? As far as I can tell at this point an EZ Loader TEZR 19-22/24 (4700lb capacity) trailer *should* work.

I'd rather not have to go new if I can find a used one. I'd be okay with swapping in new axles under it if the frame was in respectable shape.

This would be my first SE boat purchase so I'm interested in anyone's advice on this.

Thanks,

Erich
    Good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions...
    http://alaskawaterfowlproducts.blogspot.com/

A 4700 pound trailer is a little small, but living in Juneau it's not like you are going to be trailering down the highway a lot. If you could afford it, I would look for a little bit bigger. Glasplys are heavy boats, I have had 2 of them
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I kind of wondered. Nada Guides says it should have originally weighed 2825 lbs, so if I round up to 3000 lbs, do you still think the 4700lb trailer is too small? http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1986...dard-Equipment

You're also right that this won't see many highway miles. I my furthest drive would be 40 miles round trip.

Erich

I would think that 2825 is just dry hull weight. Add engine, outdrive, fuel and everything else it is going to be right up there. If a 4700lb trailer is available and what you can afford, go for it. Driving down the road to launch the boat, it should work just fine.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I would think that 2825 is just dry hull weight. Add engine, outdrive, fuel and everything else it is going to be right up there. If a 4700lb trailer is available and what you can afford, go for it. Driving down the road to launch the boat, it should work just fine.
    They definitely could have been more clear on the website about which weight it is. Since it mentioned the size of the engine, I assumed it was the compete boat weight from the dealer, but they weren't very specific.

So far I haven't found any used trailers in town. A new #4700 trailer from Willie's Marine is $4,700...

Erich

No way in hull is a 4,700 lb trailer enough. I took an older 24' bayliner to the dump and it weighed over 6,000lbs. I've got a 23' fiberglass Uniflite and you definately need the 6,800 or 7,500 lb trailer. Check with Ak Boat Brokers they have trailers too. But also remember that is why boats with out trailers are cheap, because trailers aren't. I called up Willies looking for a trailer and got quoted over $9,000 I joked with the salesman and said I need a used trailer not a used vehicle!

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    No way in hull is a 4,700 lb trailer enough. I took an older 24' bayliner to the dump and it weighed over 6,000lbs. I've got a 23' fiberglass Uniflite and you definately need the 6,800 or 7,500 lb trailer. Check with Ak Boat Brokers they have trailers too. But also remember that is why boats with out trailers are cheap, because trailers aren't. I called up Willies looking for a trailer and got quoted over $9,000 I joked with the salesman and said I need a used trailer not a used vehicle!

Sobie2
    Sobie,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give AK Boat Brokers a call.

Erich

Well no luck with AK Boat Brokers. He said that it's pretty hard to find used trailers in town (no kidding!?) and that he's stopped bringing up new ones because they don't move and then he has guys trying to talk him down to cost.

Mooring down town might be the least expensive way to go...

Erich

You might check Craiglist etc.. I've seen several ads in the past year around JNU advertising "trailer with boat" or some such, as in, the boat isn't worth squat and needs to go away but may be sitting on a decent trailer. Might take a little work or expense to ditch the boat but end up with a trailer even if it needs work. Around JNU, a lot of guys don't bother much with brakes if the tow rig is substantial so you might not need to overhaul them.
    Also, take a drive around through the industrial area and scout for any old trailers sitting around and try to contact the owner of the yard they're sitting in.