Thread: Titanium Cookware

Default Titanium Cookware

I just bought a titanium coffee cup by snow peak. At 2 ounces, and it's capacity for 2 cups of water I figured it would be the perfect sheep hunting accessorie for boiling water for the MH meals. The problem is, I didn't read the label until I got it home, and it's saying I can't put it on open flame. Is this a CYA thing for snow peak, or is titanium really not safe to put on open flame?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Is your cup single walled or double walled? The single walled design should be ok to put directly on your stove, or maybe even over a fire but a double walled design (hollow) can't tolerate direct heat because the air inside would expand potentially causing an explosion. We have used single walled cups to boil water, but you have to be careful as they are too hot to touch and drink out of unless they cool for awhile first. Don't have direct experience with a double walled design, but I think the advantage is that it insulates better, and also doesn't get as hot outside allowing you to drink from it sooner. Hope that helps...

It's a single wall, and thanks that helps a bunch. I guess the warning on the label was for the double wall cups. I plan on bringing my multitool along, so I guess I can pick it up with that if it gets too hot.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    It's a single wall, and thanks that helps a bunch. I guess the warning on the label was for the double wall cups. I plan on bringing my multitool along, so I guess I can pick it up with that if it gets too hot.

Thanks again!

Ducks I think your gonna need an intervention soon is you keep this weighing stuff up...
    dave

I agree, it has been consuming most of my time lately. Darn 40 mile air and thier 50 pound gear limit, I really wish it was 60. I would have no problem with that.

You can cook directly on the stove with that cup, I have the same one and have done it a couple of times. The problem with it is it is not large enough for most cooking.

Take a look at this titanium kettle. You can use it to boil your water for Mt House meals, cook your ramen in, and as a drinking cup.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=113

While we are on sheep gear you might want to consider one of the extra long aluminum spoons from Sea to summit. They are awesome no more chili mac on your knuckles trying to get to the bottom of your Mt House bag!

http://www.backcountry.com/sea-to-su...light-utensils

keep in mind how you will be cooking, will you be cooking for one or two..I always cook for two so I carry a bigger titanium pot that weighs next to nothing but can boil enough water for two mountain houses.I also carry a mini spice kit and second titanium pot on some sheep hunts just so I can have fresh sheep for dinner.... My hunter gets a cup and spoon and same for me. the cup is for oat meal ramen and even coffee...

2 cups is going to be way small. My system consists of a 1 qt Ti pot (functionally 3 cups) and a small double wall Ti mug.

The mug does double duty as the stove case, and the pot holds an 8 oz fuel canister.

It's just enough for 1 MH and a cup of coffee. If you are going to be heating water for two, then 1.5L or 2L pot works great. In my case, my partners and I all carry nearly identical kits in our field packs all summer, so we just transfer them to the sheep packs in August. We end up carrying two cooking kits, but they weight next to nothing and it keeps things simple for us.

Remember when you are trying to save oz that your cooking kit is likely one of your worst oz/$ returns on investment. A $1.99 plastic mug and spork from SW is just as light as the Ti stuff an works just as good. Actually better in the case of the mug. The only real advantage to a Ti pot in my mind is that it is less likely to be damaged in your pack than a aluminum one, and that's really not that big of a deal. My stuff was all acquired as Christmas presents over the years, or I wouldn't have it.

Yk

For a 2 man titanium water boiler the MSR Reactor is a nice setup. Crunch the numbers as far as boil time, fuel consumption, weight, windproofness, etc. and it's a winner. I've had one for a couple years. It uses less fuel than a pocket rocket and boils faster than a jetboil and is impervious to wind. Jetboil is rated 16oz in 2 mins. My Reactor boils over 1L in 3. It's not a cooker though, it's a water boiler. No piezo which is fine with me. I use a little spark stick or a lighter to light it up. 1.5L pot and windproof stove wieghs 17ozs and 8oz fuel fits in the pot with stove.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

The MSR reactor is what I was going to buy before they told us no more Iso-Butane canisters on air taxis. I am going to go with the MSR whisperlite international, or universal now. I just got to make up my mind by next payday. I am only going to be heating water for one, but I am thinking I am going to go buy one of those pots that you can use the lid as a small frying pan, I think it will be the ticket for some sheep ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    The MSR reactor is what I was going to buy before they told us no more Iso-Butane canisters on air taxis. I am going to go with the MSR whisperlite international, or universal now. I just got to make up my mind by next payday. I am only going to be heating water for one, but I am thinking I am going to go buy one of those pots that you can use the lid as a small frying pan, I think it will be the ticket for some sheep ribs.

Oh ya. I forgot about the air-taxi thing... government run amuck. I've never used an air-taxi. oh.... and here's how you do sheep ribs.... forget the pan all you need is a little salt!

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I guess that would be the better way to do it. I will definetly bring some garlic salt with me just for cooking some ribs like that!

Tiny spice kit is a must for me on sheep hunts...

Hey Snyd Stop with those pics your makin my mouth water like a droolin dog.....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Tiny spice kit is a must for me on sheep hunts...

Hey Snyd Stop with those pics your makin my mouth water like a droolin dog.....LOL
    okay....

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    okay....

Thats it I know who I am going sheep hunting with now...lol That sure looks like ambrosia to me.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Duckslayer,

I've been using that Snow Peak 750 cup with the straining lid and a Snow Peak titanium pork for years now, and I love it. Most of the folks at the REI store will agree. I've used it on campfires, propane stoves, electric burners, liquid fuel stoves, even the stove that came with it. It's bullet proof. The only thing I ever liked as much as my stainless steel GI canteen cup. There is no way you can go wrong with that thing. It holds just enough water to cook a Mountain Home meal for two. Clean up is a little tricky if you cook anything in it, but c'est la vie. I like how I can get one of the small fuel cans in there along with the stove, plus another can on top, and the spoon along side. Nice little kit. Worth every penny; you'll be quite happy.

PS: if it has a weakness, it's heat transfer properties. Titanium, by it's nature, resists heat, but once heated, holds it in. That equates to a very hot cup to drink out of if you boiled coffee, tea, hot chocolate in it. (I like those Sea to Summit squishy cup/bowl sets for actually drinking out of.)