Thread: There is hope for the future.

Default There is hope for the future.

I was invited to teach a brief 1/2 hour gun safety class to the 3rd/4th graders and another 1/2 hour for the 5th/6th graders at our local elementary school. I was surprised that the school reached out to me to teach the class. I think it's great that they made the decision themselves that firearm safety is important enough to seek someone out to bring information to the kids.

The best part is that out of roughly 40 kids, only three claimed to never have fired a gun. I was moderately amazed by that. I figured that there would be more. Having that many kids already shooting is a great thing. The 5th and 6th graders were the best. They all showed a genuine interest in hunting and shooting. Looks like my next hunter ed class is going to fill up fast Even had a 6th grader telling me all about the AR-15 he's building up with his dad.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Very cool news! I think the shooting sports have surged well in the last few years - hopefully the kids won't get priced out of the sport!
    I try to drop off copies of hunting magazines when I go to Dr offices and similar places for readers since they don't usually have any on display.... Anything to encourage others!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I was invited to teach a brief 1/2 hour gun safety class to the 3rd/4th graders and another 1/2 hour for the 5th/6th graders at our local elementary school. I was surprised that the school reached out to me to teach the class. I think it's great that they made the decision themselves that firearm safety is important enough to seek someone out to bring information to the kids.

The best part is that out of roughly 40 kids, only three claimed to never have fired a gun. I was moderately amazed by that. I figured that there would be more. Having that many kids already shooting is a great thing. The 5th and 6th graders were the best. They all showed a genuine interest in hunting and shooting. Looks like my next hunter ed class is going to fill up fast Even had a 6th grader telling me all about the AR-15 he's building up with his dad.
    That's good news, and just the man I wanted to talk to. My son is currently taking the online study and tests. But, down here, they don't show a field day till July. I was hoping to take him on a spring bear hunt soon. I was wondering if you happen to know that if there was enough interest that the powers that be would/could add an earlier field day? Does this ever happen? Thanks...

New classes occasionally pop up, but it's entirely supported by volunteers. By this point the schedule is usually set for the summer. It never hurts to drop a bug in the ear of the hunter ed folks at ADF&G. The south central coordinator for hunter ed is Timmy Thomas at 276-2196. The boy can still hunt if he's under the age of 16, he just has to hunt off your tags.

New classes occasionally pop up, but it's entirely supported by volunteers. By this point the schedule is usually set for the summer. It never hurts to drop a bug in the ear of the hunter ed folks at ADF&G. The south central coordinator for hunter ed is Timmy Thomas at 276-2196. The boy can still hunt if he's under the age of 16, he just has to hunt off your tags.
    Thanks for the info. Yes, unfortunately my boy is going to be 22 in July. He just put this off too long....school, cars, girls, video games, etc... But like I told him "I can't do it for ya". So we'll see if he gets motivated enough now to finish the online course.

If gun safety was part of all school's curriculum there would surely be a decrease in accident's (including those by adult's).

Rep to you for doing your part!

BEE

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I try to drop off copies of hunting magazines when I go to Dr offices and similar places for readers since they don't usually have any on display.... Anything to encourage others!
    There are guy magazines in doctor offices up here in Alaska. I was surprised when I first moved here to find things like Outdoor Life, American Hunter in almost every office and even Guns & Ammo in some of them, often with the office address printed on them so they weren’t left by others. Never found anything like that in Arizona doctors lobbies, one of the little clues that things are different in Alaska. I was reading Shotgun News in the front lobbie of MatSu hospital (addressed to the hospital) just the other day.

Doug, good on ya man!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Doug that is awefully good of you to volunteer your time like that I really mean that....
    and that certainly is great to hear about our youth
    Dave

Thanks for your service, Doug. I just got an Alaska Hunter Ed card last summer at 54 yrs old!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks for being there for the youngsters Doug !! Nice to hear the school invited you instead of just "demonizing" firearms like so many educators do.

Excellent to hear Doug! When is your first class this year? I'll be sending you Bob, Jennifer and Chrissy as soon as the road opens and you have a class going on.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Hey Doug, Thanks to you and all the other volunteers who take the time to introduce these kids to this lifetime sport.

My 8 year old just completed his Hunters Ed course down here last weekend, passed the written test with only a couple wrong and shot better than most at the range. I took the class with him, didn't need it, but learned a few things. Best part was he shot better than me at the range.

When I was in Jr. High a long time ago, we had a conservation class that included a hunters safety course and get this, we all brought our guns to class! My how times have changed.

Maybe there is hope for ALASKA'S future, but not the rest of the nation. I grew up in and taught in the public schools in Florida, as state with very easy concealed weapon laws and little gun control laws and very lax enforcement of the few gun laws there are, and I can definitively say that you would never have been allowed to do that down there. In my 12 years as as student there, I never saw an NRA "Eddie Eagle" safety class. (I've only seen one, and that was at my son's Cub Scout den, and only then because one of the dads was a police Captain who had gotten a bunch of free trigger locks from NSSF that he wanted to get rid of. He wasn't allowed to to go to the schools. Also, last year, I had over 200 12th grade students, and very few of them had ever fired a gun. Most of the ones who did, were in JROTC. Over half of my AP American Government students were ardent anti-gun supporters. (So much so that I had to exclude gun control from the list of allowable research paper topics, else I would spent my Spring Break reading about how guns are evil.)

So we should all thank God that we live in Alaska where our kids aren't, as yet, pre programmed by the public schools against our way of life. (As much as other kids at least.) I was shocked last year to learn that Service High School had a rifle marksmanship team. (They were fundraising at Sportsman's.) I noted to their coach that, "back home" the onlyopportunity a young person might get to shoot is through Boy Scouts' Shooting Merit badge. When I tried to volunteer to start a National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP) at my son's school in Tampa, I got an email from the District Administrator for Phys. Ed stating that all shooting sports were banned in the district's schools and facilities. What a difference culture and geography make.

As for what someone mentioned as "hope the next generation doesn't get priced out of shooting" see my rant on another page about gun owners, economics, panic buying, and shooting oneself in the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Thanks for your service, Doug. I just got an Alaska Hunter Ed card last summer at 54 yrs old!
    I had to at 41 to be able to get a license in CO. for an elk hunt. They didn't have records that far back when I took mine at 12 years old.

Yep, I needed one to hunt down south too. Got mine about 5 or 6 years ago. I decided to teach when I quit competing in archery and found a need to fill the void. What started as doing bowhunter ed turned into basic hunter ed. Becoming a volunteer is an easy process. Simply call Tim (number listed in one of my posts) and see when they are doing an instructor class. It's a two day class. I'm actually a lousy volunteer as I only do a couple classes a year. There are dozens of guys that do more than I do.

Yep, I needed one to hunt down south too. Got mine about 5 or 6 years ago. I decided to teach when I quit competing in archery and found a need to fill the void. What started as doing bowhunter ed turned into basic hunter ed. Becoming a volunteer is an easy process. Simply call Tim (number listed in one of my posts) and see when they are doing an instructor class. It's a two day class. I'm actually a lousy volunteer as I only do a couple classes a year. There are dozens of guys that do more than I do.
    yeah Doug but a couple classes that you do do are still helpful to the masses...
    dave