Thread: E collars

Default E collars

Looking at a new ecollar purchase. Just curious on what everybody is using and why. Obviously I have my eye on Tri Tronic but I currently use a Dogtra just is not expandable that is why I am upgrading.

What do you use and why. What do you feel is a must in a collar?

Also what about the sport collars never used one how do they differ from the pro and field series? They are cheaper just wonder what you lose for the price?

I can just tell you how happy I've been with Tri-tronics for about 15 years. The collars give consistant performance and the company gives me prompt and courteous service if needed. One very important thing from the dog's point of view is that tri-tronics collars also give consistant "stimulation" as compared to some other companies.

Jim

I too am a Tritronics user and a dealer.
    Sport models are ok for hunting situations and for around the house use.
    The 100, 200 and 500 series collars offer different intensity levels. The 500 has the most variable. Where this comes in handy is when you are conditioning and training a lot of dogs. For example: the sport model goes from level 2 to a 2 1/2 in one click. Some dogs may not respond to a 2 but seem to be over corrected on 2 1/2. That's where the higher end collars come into play. Now a sport model will work fine for a dog that is already conditioned to a collar. I would train with a collar with more variable levels first though.

Quote Originally Posted by NDH View Post
    I have my eye on Tri Tronic but I currently use a Dogtra just is not expandable that is why I am upgrading.

I have a tri tronic 3 collar expandable and I really don't like it. Would much perfer 2 seperate collars. If you think you can have 3 dogs running around with 3 different collars and try and control them, it doesn't work that way, you spend your time fiddling with the transmitter and very slow on any corrections. When wife and I try to work dogs at the same time, such as honor and sending a dog by the honor dog, it can be real confusing and the other person always seems to have the transmiter when you need it. Keep your dogtra and buy a tritronics. JMHO. Bud

Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

I have a tri tronic 3 collar expandable and I really don't like it. Would much perfer 2 seperate collars. If you think you can have 3 dogs running around with 3 different collars and try and control them, it doesn't work that way, you spend your time fiddling with the transmitter and very slow on any corrections.
    [/LEFT]

I totally understand this concept. Only reason I wanted to expand is so that when I hunt both of them just wanted to flip a switch to be able to control what ever dog was going out without having to carry another transmitter. I have heard that the switch might be a hindrance as you flip it at time when working and correct the wrong dog who is just doing as you ask and sitting or you miss a correction. That is my concern missing the correction. the Dogtra will do this at times when you need to go medium on a correction but you have to look down change then correct or just hit the knob and hope that you did not give it tooooo much.

For those that answered what collars are you running and do you feel the momentary or continuous is more important. Hardly ever use continuous but that does not mean I am correct. I know Baron probably uses the 500 am I correct?

Well, I can easily hunt three dogs with each wearing a collar, but of course those dogs have been thoroughly trained in the yard and field and very rarely require any stimulation. Since I'm a pointing dog guy I use the Upland Sepecial collars and mostly for the locator beepers.

A good collar with both continuous and momentary stimulation is, in my opinion, a must. Don't skimp on the collar.

Jim

I use DT systems collars. Tough, consistant, and reliable. I like the one I use, because it has a vibrate function. I use/like vibrate more than shock stimulation. I don't use the collar much, but when I do need to get my dogs attention, the vibrate works well. Tri-tronics are top of the libe as well.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    I can just tell you how happy I've been with Tri-tronics for about 15 years. The collars give consistant performance and the company gives me prompt and courteous service if needed. One very important thing from the dog's point of view is that tri-tronics collars also give consistant "stimulation" as compared to some other companies.

Jim
    Ditto....I agree completely with Jim's post

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Well, I can easily hunt three dogs with each wearing a collar, but of course those dogs have been thoroughly trained in the yard and field and very rarely require any stimulation. Since I'm a pointing dog guy I use the Upland Sepecial collars and mostly for the locator beepers.

A good collar with both continuous and momentary stimulation is, in my opinion, a must. Don't skimp on the collar.

Jim
    Once again I agree here...except I have only had two dogs on it at a time.

If I were ever moved to switch from Tri-tronics to another brand, it would definitely be Dogtra. I've used their electronic launchers for many years now and they make good solid equipment.

Jim

[QUOTE=NDH;1108244]

For those that answered what collars are you running and do you feel the momentary or continuous is more important. Hardly ever use continuous but that does not mean I am correct. QUOTE]

I use tri-tronics and it has lots of settings for both continuous and momentary, I pretty much keep it on continuous, but by just tapping the button, it works the same as monentary, don't have to hold it down and burn the dog, just tap it. Bud
    Wasilla

[QUOTE=akblackdawg;1109238]
    Quote Originally Posted by NDH View Post

For those that answered what collars are you running and do you feel the momentary or continuous is more important. Hardly ever use continuous but that does not mean I am correct. QUOTE]

I use tri-tronics and it has lots of settings for both continuous and momentary, I pretty much keep it on continuous, but by just tapping the button, it works the same as monentary, don't have to hold it down and burn the dog, just tap it. Bud
    I disagree with Bud. I don't think there is anyway to consistently get the same premeasured momentary nick from a quick bump on continuous as you get with the collar on momentary. In the heat of the moment in training, I believe it is harder for a newbie to make a mistake with the collar on momentary. That's why I suggest to new people to get the Flyway or Pro 200. You'll never outgrow it, it'll always be a good collar. After 5 or 6 years you might might decide you want the slightly more versatile Pro 500 but it won't be because your Flyway or Pro 200 is a piece of crap that can't train a dog to a very high level.

What is the difference between the Flyaway and the 200 the tri tronics website makes it appear that they are the same?? Looking at a flyaway and also a 500 but the Dogtra is working for now until i make the final decision

The 200 and Flyway are the same as far as operation.
    18 x 6
    The 200 is expandable to multiple collars.

Thanks Baron -- but the spec sheets says the flyway is multi dog as well-- that why I do not understand how they differ...maybe they just differ in price alone--HA

NDH, Chena Girl is that you?

Look at the sound function on the Tri Tronics website. Last I remember the only difference between the Flyway and the Pro 200 was the Pro 200 had sound and the Flyway did not. I don't know of anyone who uses the sound function for retriever training, although there probably are some somewhere.

I only use the sound function on my Pro 500's to check that the collar is turned on and working.

I had thought all of the G3 Tri Tronics collars were expandable. I haven't even looked at anything except the Pro 500 for several years though.

I've used tritronics for 10yrs and love them. I hunt hounds so having the extra range the tritronics offers is very important plus anything you put on a hound has to be rugged. I also rarely use the e stimulation in the field but like the tone button for recall when they get too far out. I've heard Garmin bought out tritronics so hopefully their dependability will stay the same. Currently I have 2 trash breakers with the newest one being about 6 yrs old.

Howard ...NDH is Chena Girl. You get an "A" for CSI work. Watching all that Law and Order has paid off..HA thanks for the reply-- when I saw your post I thought that is it but then looked at the Tri Tronic site and seems the Flyaway has audible as well.. stumped again -- no big deal just wondered.

Just curious what is the average life expectancy of the tritronic collars.... ie how long have most of you been running the same collar system with no issues. i would imagine 6-10 years no issues and most just upgraded because the new models came out that is my guess anyway.

I have a Dogtra 1900 and it is 6 years old. Works fine but did have to replace the batteries recently. The remote was the only thing giving me trouble but collar clinic told me that if I did one should do both.. probably a sales pitch but it worked.

I can't remember when I got 2 Tri Tronics G2 Pro 500 2 dog systems. It was before I retired in 2005. Over time, I can't swear when, the transmitters lost more and more range. I still own them but they are not reliable beyond ~100 yards. I still use one around the house for cc and early yard work.

I bought a new G3 transmitter last spring when I realized the old ones weren't working at 200 yards. For awhile you could charge them up and their range increased for a little while. I bought new batteries but that didn't fix it.

I married my old 6 year old collars to to the new transmitter and have a 3 dog model now. I don't know how long those old collars will last. Of the 4 collar receivers I got in ~2004 maybe 05, 3 are still in use and working. One died. I just bought a new G3 expandable Pro 500 this week as I want a 3 dog back up transmitter going into the heavy trialing/training season.