Thread: Woodstove advice

Default Woodstove advice

I'm looking for a stove to provide auxillary heat in a house that will have in floor (slab) radiant (heating fuel), I want to keep the thermo set low and just bump the heat up in the main living area

So one thing I want is fairly FAST "local" heat in the morning, (as in sitting by the stove drinking my coffee) I don't necessarily need a long burn, I'm thinking a cast iron stove will be the way to go. Maybe stoke it up again late afternoon, but come sleep time if it goes all the way out that would be fine as my wife will likely have the bedroom windows open anyhow even if it's -10F.

I'll have 1400 VERY well insulated/tight square feet with a half loft which will really be storage (plenty of heat will get up there I'm sure)

The main room we'll be heating is 600 square feet lofted ceiling so the main challenge will be keeping that heat from going straight up. maybe a ceiling fan or I'm thinking more likely some kind of recirculating fan that'll pull the heat back down to ground level in the "back" of the house.

I like the blaze king princess but I think it's too big and would also take a long time to get heat in the morning
    I like the Jotul stoves and the 400 looks like a nice stove, my wife likes their new cylinder type stove which is over $5K

I've read back through the forums but any other nugs of advice would be much appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    I'm looking for a stove to provide auxillary heat in a house that will have in floor (slab) radiant (heating fuel), I want to keep the thermo set low and just bump the heat up in the main living area

So one thing I want is fairly FAST "local" heat in the morning, (as in sitting by the stove drinking my coffee) I don't necessarily need a long burn, I'm thinking a cast iron stove will be the way to go. Maybe stoke it up again late afternoon, but come sleep time if it goes all the way out that would be fine as my wife will likely have the bedroom windows open anyhow even if it's -10F.

I'll have 1400 VERY well insulated/tight square feet with a half loft which will really be storage (plenty of heat will get up there I'm sure)

The main room we'll be heating is 600 square feet lofted ceiling so the main challenge will be keeping that heat from going straight up. maybe a ceiling fan or I'm thinking more likely some kind of recirculating fan that'll pull the heat back down to ground level in the "back" of the house.

I like the blaze king princess but I think it's too big and would also take a long time to get heat in the morning
    I like the Jotul stoves and the 400 looks like a nice stove, my wife likes their new cylinder type stove which is over $5K

I've read back through the forums but any other nugs of advice would be much appreciated!!
    We ( me,my wife & dog) or is it my wife, my dog & me, anyhow, the ceiling fan will be your main objective regardless of what stove you decide. we had same situation and went with a( harbor breeze) 56"-3 blade redrock ceiling fan. worked for us.

Lets start here, first a cast iron stove will take longer to reach thermal gain and a steel stove is much faster.
    When looking for a stove stay with something that has a 6'' flue, chimney is cheaper than a 8''. Both those stoves are good stoves just remember the steel or cast.
    Heating 14sft will be easy for the most part stay with a small stove if you are not looking to a long burn time.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post

gottago,

Iíve had three Jotul stoves so far. When I get another, it will be a Jotul too. I really like them. My favorite model is the 602. Itís nice to be able to see the fire through the small window. It also has a functioning cook plate.

Itís not so big that it uses too much floor space, yet, as a backup, itís big enough to heat a large cabin under most conditions (if you keep feeding it steadily). It will burn about one cubic foot of wood at a time. If you fire it until its about 300 degrees C. then give it one more full load of wood, close the intake air vent to about 1/3 open, it will burn for about 4 hours. Seven or eight hours after giving it the last piece of wood, it will still be slightly warm to the touch, having radiated all night.

In the morning, you could re-fire it, start you coffee, and soon after your coffee is ready, it would be putting out heat again.

The 602 is Jotul's smallest model. If you need bigger, they make the black bear model which is a similar configuration, but about twice the weight, capacity, and output.

My 602 is in a 20x30 cabin with half loft, and does fine. Since your place is very well insulated, I think you might be happy with a 602 as an auxiliary for the purposes you described.

By the way, an acquaintance told me about a fan which is very effective for circulating heat from a wood stove. It uses the heat of the stove to run. It works like a thermocouple: it generates electrical current by heating two dissimilar metals bonded together. Just place the fan on top of a hot stove, and it runs.