Thread: Whelenator's 2 year old burned by hot tea-safety after action report

Default Whelenator's 2 year old burned by hot tea-safety after action report

Hi folks. I am writing tonight from Providence's Pediatric ICU ward where my 2 year old son is recovering from surgery this afternoon to graft skin onto his neck and chest. He received 2nd and 3rd degree burns over about 7% of his little body Saturday evening at our house when he pulled a freshly poured cup of tea off the stove onto himself. As you can see from the first pic of him from that evening it is quite a large burn. The surgeon told us this evening this is the worst burn he has seen in quite some time. This was from about 6-8 ounces of hot water. He had to have skin shaved off his thighs to replace the skin on portions of his neck and chest. The doc says he grafted about 3% or about half the overall burn. He did 170 square centimeters of skin grafting which equates to about 66 Sq inches if my math is right. He is lying here at this moment in some pretty serious pain and is on a morphine pump plus some other pretty heavy duty pain killers I can't even pronounce. He has a feeding tube inserted into his nostril down to his stomach because he won't or can't eat. 2 IV's, 1 blood gas sensor on a finger, 3 telemetry leads stuck in various places on his chest, plus a blood pressure cuff attached more or less permanently to his ankle. I feel so bad for him because I don't think he understands the nurses really care for him and don't want to hurt him. His breathing is labored and ragged, though they tell me he is ok. He is only supposed to be in the ICU until tomorrow sometime as long as the signs all stay normal. What the he^& is normal? Saturday after an ER visit, he got home and played with reckless abandon even with bandages on and us trying to keep him a bit more calm. Nope, gotta play, can't stop. There's dogs to terrorize and stuff to tear all to pieces, and candy to eat. Life is good. He developed a quickly accelerating fever Sunday around noon and by 3 or so he had about a 103F fever so we rushed him back to the ER. He still hasn't had an onset of infection from the burn itself, but the fevers are from "inflammatory response" they tell us. Sounds like a politician right? Well anyway, I just wanted to put some of this on paper if nothing more to let me sort of spill my guts a little. You try to put away anger or frustration and focus on what you have done correctly with your kids. He is a stubborn little bugger, not sure where he gets that..his mother maybe..anyway he wants to do everything himself and not let us help him. He gets into everything and wants to do more and more. I just wish he could drive the dang boat so I can work the downriggers. We have kid proofed the house as much as a person can possibly do without it being a prison for all of us. Yet he tests the cell doors and security features like a tiger pacing the cage looking for a weakness. He has figured out the "kid proof" drawer latches so it looks like we are going to have to toss all our knives in the dumpster. I guess I need to either take this somewhere or let it go as it is.. ya'll look out for your little ones, they are precious. Please be especially careful with your campfires this summer and fall. Remember to keep hot stuff out of their reach. I hope Gregory forgives us for all this pain we put him through. This might be payback for all the crap I did to my parents.
    IMAG0263.jpgIMAG0267.jpg
    Last edited by Whelenator; 04-13-2012 at 00:40. Reason: left out words

Man so sorry to hear what happend. When my twins were little it was the same way my son got burned on his face by a marshmellow over the camp fire. I felt so bad. Now he is 11 and he still loves me When Gregory gets older the only thing he will remember it how much his parrents love him. Hang in there. Chris
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Vice President of Alaska Waterfowl Association

All I can say is prayers are with you and your little one. Thanks for sharing, so maybe it will help prevent something like this from happening to somebody else.
    I wish you the best.

Supporting Member

Prayers for you and your family that your son will heal quickly.

Prayers for your son and family. This is the worst part of being a parent, seeing your kids in pain and not able to make it go away.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

So sorry to hear about Gregory's burn. Now that I am a father X3, I understand how you feel.

I look around our house and see lots of things that could hurt a toddler. We do the best we can to make a safe home and protect your kids but sometimes unanticipated stuff happens.

Thanks for the reminder....we have a crazy 9 mo. old that is getting ready to start testing the boundaries of his world...

Wow, sorry to hear about this. Hang in there, prayers are with you and yours.

Perry
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Update. The little guy is out of the ICU and back on the regular floor. He has been taken off the Iv's for right now because the veins are in pretty bad shape where the iv's were. They want to test if he can get enough fluids via the normal route. He has been watching the Jungle Book movie and Land Before Time with me tonight and hollering and very animated. Good living through chemistry. He is on (sp) Lortab. I guess its more or less vicoden. Vicoden makes me grumpy and combative. That would explain a lot.
    I had to get all that stuff off me the other night and I appreciate all the nice comments. He is going to be fine, I am sure it'll be tough. I have learned that these kids are very tough and resilient and can seemingly soak up a lot more than I can. I would trade places with him if I could, but I might be faring much worse for wear. Again, thanks to all of you.

Glad he is doing better!!

Unfortunately no matter how much we hover over them and try to keep them safe some times they just insist on learning the hard way! Reminds me of my uncle who is quite a bit younger than me on his first camping trip. He was up with my grandpa visiting AK and we were all sitting around a nice hot fire. Suddenly the fire shifted and a nice red coal broke off and rolled out of the fire. Before I knew what he was doing my uncle reached down and scooped it up to toss it back into the fire! Needless to say you could hear the hiss as it scorched his hand. Funny now though not really the. But he thought that only the flame was hot in a fire. I'm pretty sure he won't make that mistake again!!

I am glad he is doing better (which means you are too). Burns are terribly painful and you are correct in that Lortab is the same as Vicodin. Good luck with everything.