Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a dead moose, called fish and game and guess what they said.....

Default Found a dead moose, called fish and game and guess what they said.....

I found a dead moose on the side of the road this morning, so I called fish and game, and said, "hey I found a dead moose" so they took my name and where I saw it and all that jazz like they do. well after I gave them directions and everything, the lady at hte front desk (who I try to avoid cause they dont know anything) said well I will tell so and so but we prolly wond do anything about it, WHAT?? I said. You better do something. and she said well we have more important things to do. (now, keep in mind that its on hte side of the road...like, on hte burm) So I asked to talk to a guy who knew more and she said Ok I'll put you through to the bioligist. and I asked "if fish and Game isn't gonna do anything with it, can I go out and take at least some meat off and save some of it" Oh no, you cant do that, thats against the law" "(I'm more than a little ticked off now) So Your telling me your gonna let a prefictly good moose rot on the side of the road when there is a a family of 8 totaly willing to go salvage it?" "Oh well when they starve to death thier organs break down and it ruins the meat" Me: "well it didn't starve to death, I can tell you that, now I aint no biologist but I manage a dairy farm and I know the difference between a skinny moose and a fat moose and this wasn't no skinny moose" him: "well its property of the state do do with as we see fit and unless you go called from hte road kill list you cant even go touch it" Me: "ok, so are you gonna go call somebody off the road kill list?" Him: "No there is probably nothing we can do about it if its been sitting there for a very long time it would be starting to rot" Me: well d**n (keep in mind I dont cuss unless my blood REALLY boils) I'd be more that happy to go open it up and see if its starting to rot or not" Him: Well I just told you you cant do that...." And it about ended there.....

Whats wrong with our state?? isn't the moose a rescource of the PEOPLE?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Why didn't you call the troopers? Why would you call fish and game bios in Palmer is beyond me. If you called the brown shirt troopers they probably would have did something.

Well I originally called to get the number for them (wasn't totally positive who to call), and she asked if there was something she could help with so I told her....
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Smell what i'm stepping in?

Was it a road kill?

If not, then the trooper might have been right. ( it takes these kinda deaths to keep the circle of life going, just saying )

There's more critters out there that depend on this kind of death to keep thier cycle going.

I can see where your thinking comes from, but try to see the other side of the picture.

What do the critters get to eat if we take away the falling that they depend on?

well I know it hadn't starved to death, cause as I said, I know the difference between a starving animal and a healthy animal, as I live on a farm and manage another one, and this was defiantly not skinny, staving moose.

out where I live I doubt somebody would report a moose so their insurance doesn't go up, know what I mean? I didn't get a good look at it but if its still there tomorrow I will stop and take a gander and bring back a report.

heck I would have gladly gutted it so it would at least cool and when somebody came out it would have somewhat good meat.

In the past if it was on your property and it was a winter death, then you get to dispose of it. Lucky you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    In the past if it was on your property and it was a winter death, then you get to dispose of it. Lucky you.
    Its not on our property, its a few miles down the road. unfortunately....heck if it was on my property nobody woulda known anything.....

Fur,

Don't leave hints that you would break the law...

Any law, if you say you would do something in the future-- someone might start digging into your backtrail.
    Then it becomes inturpretation as to whether that caribou (or Moose, or T-rex) was accuatly in GMU 27 when you harvested it.

Get what I mean?

I had a fellow at Fish and Game try to take my Grizzly away simply because I wasn't "hunting" by his dictionary.... True I was trying to take a S___ in the woods at the time.

Getting back to the meat, it may or may not have been salvagable by the time you found it. Do you know how long it had lain there after death? Cause of Death? Poisoning from plants, or road salts? Vehicle intervention? time took to die? infuctions?

Most unknown carcusses, I would either move further off road (then set a few snares), or just leave alone.

And most road kills in Alaska, I would only touch after they called me on a roadcall list. State gets real excited about wildlife lawbreakers- lose licenses, money, jail time....

Hope you understand where of 's I speak,

Keep your TP dry and your rifle clean,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    out where I live I doubt somebody would report a moose so their insurance doesn't go up, know what I mean?

My son totaled my pickup last fall by hitting a moose. It was totally covered under comprehensive like a rock breaking your windshield. They didn't even want a police report, even though we did one and the moose was salvaged by a needy family. My insurance never went up.

FFG:
    I hear ya. I found a full sized cow next to the highway near Delta two years ago. Reluctant to call cause reporting party becomes suspect 1, but I did anyway to try and save the meat. I think some vehicle killed it with a head injury, but couldn't tell by looking at it. Anyway, troops came out and looked at it and left it. I checked on it for a week looking for brownies but no sign yet when I left the area. Guys told me I did the right thing cause if you start cutting you look like you are covering up a crime. If you get on your local road kill list you will get more moose than you want.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Cool Bureaucracies and bureaucrats . . .

Well . . I think the problem here is expecting too much of bureaucracies and bureaucrats.

All social orders devise collective instruments to deal with aspects of civilization not able to be dealt with on an individual basis. In the current example, Alaska devised our department of fish and game to deal with our wildlife resources and our collective use thereof.

But as Carroll Quiqley notes in his seminal work, The Evolution of Civilizations, all such social instruments inevitably mutate into institutions and take on a life of their own which is ever thereafter devoted to the perpetuation and extension of the institution at the expense of the purpose for which it was originally conceived.

Which is a kind of a nice way of saying that bureaucracies and bureaucrats are devoted to the art of making the possible impossible.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Moose die everyday...so do bears, rabbits, porcupines etc, etc, etc. There's no inherent reason or expectation to investigate every critter that dies is there? What's different about this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Moose die everyday...so do bears, rabbits, porcupines etc, etc, etc. There's no inherent reason or expectation to investigate every critter that dies is there? What's different about this one?

In this case, a citizen (ruler) had his free moose bounty denied from a bureaucrat. The citizen (ruler) lost the chance to feed his family and possibly others.

The problem is people have been brainwashed to believe that it is "patriotic" to follow "the rule of law".

Thank God this fine nations founders chose to be labeled "terrorists" by " the law " and fought against unjust laws and rule. With their lives.

Take off the blinders friends. To struggle and resist is true patriotism. Bowing to unelected or even elected officials is the furthest thing from American as you can get.

To struggle and resist by law is patriotism, to do so by other means is insurrection akin to the conferderate states.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

oh geeze, here we go again.

You tell them,

Scotland is FREEEEEE!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails braveheart (1).jpg  

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    To struggle and resist by law is patriotism, to do so by other means is insurrection akin to the conferderate states.
    Well, most of the time, that is. It didn't work for Jeff Davis, but it did work for Washington.

Tough call . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    oh geeze, here we go again.

You tell them,

Scotland is FREEEEEE!

lololol

i know it was sarcastic, but boy was it funny.

on a bit more somber note, I have a feeling ALOT of members here would have been on the British side during the revolution.

Sounds about like the same arguments they probably made to justify their actions back then.

Ol George and the boys would be quite ashamed of what their blood bought.

Shame.

strange twists and turns in this thread....

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast