Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open water?

Default open water?

Anyone Found Any Open Water To Fly Fish Yet? I Would Assume The Peninsula Has Some Open Water On Quartz Creek And Some Others, But Haven't Heard Of Anyone Taking Advantage Of The Weather As Of Yet. If You've Devirginized Your Fly Gear For The Year Let Us Know Where, And How It Went.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Some of the Kenai is open below Kenai Lake. I know some guys who caught a few dollies (or are they char there?) and rainbows there a week or so ago.

Cool Open Water

Alaska's banana belt has been open most of the year, my son and friend picked up a 8 lb steelie this week on an articulated leach. They had to rub it in since I didn't go with them.

kingfisherktn

none of the lakes here are open yet but the warm rain is helping!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

AK road kill;

Lake Trout
    Brooke Trout
    Bull trout
    Dolly Varden
    Arctic Char

All members of the char family none of them is a true trout.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRoadkill View Post
    Some of the Kenai is open below Kenai Lake. I know some guys who caught a few dollies (or are they char there?) and rainbows there a week or so ago.
    I believe the fish in the keani are dollies and not Arctic Char, however I think both might live in the system. I talked to someone who owns a hotel there a while back who said he starts fishing the lower river for dollies starting in april as the first slug of sea runs hits then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    AK road kill;

Lake Trout
    Brooke Trout
    Bull trout
    Dolly Varden
    Arctic Char

All members of the char family none of them is a true trout.
    Yeah, I knew that (except the Brook Trout), just wasn't sure if the Keani fish are Arctic Char or Dollies.

Thumbs up Kenai's good but slow.

Hiked down from the lower campground at Skilak to the mouth of the river. Went past two miles past the "Dunes" to a hole I think is named Thomson's or something like that. Did alright, but the action was slow. I got two hits and two fish (bows) - nothing huge. My buddy hooked into several fish (three bows and two silvers). One bow was huge and found it more comfortable to keep my friends entire setup for the summer. Bottom line - they're in there but you have to work for it - my legs are killing me today. We put the hike at just under ten miles (round-trip).

good info. that's what i was hoping to hear. what did you guys get hits on? beads?
    www.akfishology.com

considering the balmy weather we've been having, i hope to hear some more reports after this weekend.....???
    www.akfishology.com

Well, Cottonwood Creek hasn't totally gone out yet. On the downstream side of the road near my house there is several inches flowing over the top of the ice. I suspect by the end of the week it will be out. Saturday I saw a car on Wasilla Lake. Obviously it was strong enough to hold it up but not for this chicken!

I saw a car out on Wasilla lake Monday. Didn't think it was too smart but what do I know.

AK road kill

Sorry about that just trying to be helpful. Both can be found in the waters of the Keani though arctic Char are much more scarce than dollies.

Cambell creek in Anchorage is open. The first part of Westchester lagoon is now open. I saw parts of ship creek are open. Hopefully have a report from over the weekend.

Parts of the little Su are open but the water levels are really low in the upper little Su. Hatchers pass section is still frozen almost solid.

Rick P

Default Fish Species Distribution

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/SARR/...ib/FDD_ims.cfm

There is a tool available to resource fish species in Alaska on the ADF&G website. Link above.

Arctic Char are not present in any system on the KP.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default arctic charr on the KP

Until recently it was thought all charr on the Kenai Peninsula were southern dolly varden but genetic testing now shows that there are many lakes on the Kenai Peninsula with native arctic charr. They are rarely caught as they hang out in the deepest water and rarely enter the river systems. If you catch a charr in the Kenai River it is almost certainly a dolly.

Here is an article outlining the above by the biologist who has almost exclusively researched this topic, Jack Dean, http://kenai.fws.gov/overview/notebo.../14feb2003.htm

Test on Wednesday......

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by AKRoadkill View Post
    Yeah, I knew that (except the Brook Trout), just wasn't sure if the Keani fish are Arctic Char or Dollies.
    They are dolly varden. You will not catch arctic char in the Kenai River. There might be a small population (very small) of arctic char in (see jack dean) in the cold deep lakes but they are not in any river system on the KP.

The 2 char can be distinquished from one another for positive identification by genetic testing.

I Researched the source at Alaska Fish and Game species interactive mapping.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I think they and the bull trout are all really the same species! I'll call em all char because that sounds cooler! lol

Default Bull trout

Bull trout are a completely seperate species, although it is tough to tell them apart unless you're a biologist able to dissect them. I don't believe there is any overlap of distrubution areas between bull trout and arctic charr....but their are overlaps between southern dolly varden and bull trout. ALthough the genetics are different.....bull trout are actually geneticallly related to the white spotted charr and the stone charr of the Far East....much more closely than they are to Dolly Varden or Arctic Charr. Grew up catching large bull trout in Montana....when they get larger you can tell by the head shape they are different then dollies and arctic charr....voracious eaters too...will eat any other fish that wanders in their path.

Brian BTW.....charr or char....does sound cooler....it is taken from the Celtic word "charre" which means red.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast