Thread: Redneck shrimp pot weights

Default Redneck shrimp pot weights

I wanted to add a little weight to my pots this season, so here's what I've come up with. I've got an old garden hose, and some ripped up sand/gravel bags that I used as weight for the pickup. I am going to cut 3 ft sections of the hose and fill it with sand/gravel then zip tie it around the base of the pots.
    My question is, what to use or how to plug each end of the hose? Duct tape the crap out of it, or is there a better way? Have any of you tried this before?

Thanks,
    -Grizz
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Take some chain and zip tie the chain in a circle around bottom of the pot.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I thought about that too, but I didn't want to go out and buy chain. I have both here and will probably end up throwing the sand and hose away, so I thought I could re-purpose it
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Fold the ends over and zip tie them.

Rocks work but the cost is usually prohibitive.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I've got some 5/8's cable id give you if you were passing through Sterling.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

electrical tape works way better than duct tape for sealing things when it comes to water. another option is to take a onion sack (they don't make them as tough as they used to so you might have to double it) and fill it with round rocks works good, thats what I use for an anchor on my canoe
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I've been using Rebar slid into a section of garden hose for several years. I use black electrical tape. I cut 3 or 4 4 inch peices and placed them over the end, then wrapped over them to seal them off. No problems and never had it come off. I ziptie them in. I use 3 along each side except the bridal side. It lays up pretty well.

Ditto on the rebar. It doesn't get any easier than that.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

two bricks each pot. 1.74 at lowes

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    two bricks each pot. 1.74 at lowes
    Reclaimed Rebar from the Landfill $0.00
    Reclaimed Hose that was on its way to the dump $0.00
    1/4 role of black electrical tape $0.25

Fresh PWS Spots on a skewer basted in Garlic Batter and quickly roasted over a hot grill. PRICELE$$

Actually, I think I bought one 4' stick to have enough for 5 pots.

Sand won't add enough weight to make much difference. Archimedes Principal at work here. A cubic foot of sand is about 100lbs, saltwater is 64lbs. So underwater 1 cu' of sand effectively weighs 38lbs.

Comparatively a cu' of lead weighs 708lbs and would act as 644 underwater.

3' of 5/8" garden hose full of sand will literally weigh ounces in saltwater.

rebar is your solution. its cheap and effective. you can buy them in 1ft, 2ft,3ft sections at lowes or home depot.

why do you put the rebar in the garden hose?

Quote Originally Posted by akroxy View Post
    why do you put the rebar in the garden hose?

For three reasons. 1. To protect my shrimp pot. Its painted/treated to resist rusting. Rebar rusts quickly like a sponge holds water on contact. It more likley to chip/rub away the coating on the trap and start the rust process. 2. It looks better than to look at rusted metal. 3. By taping the ends up, the entire diameter is slightly larger than the holes on the trap so if they were to get loose inside, they are not going to slide out of the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    For three reasons. 1. To protect my shrimp pot. Its painted/treated to resist rusting. Rebar rusts quickly like a sponge holds water on contact. It more likley to chip/rub away the coating on the trap and start the rust process. 2. It looks better than to look at rusted metal. 3. By taping the ends up, the entire diameter is slightly larger than the holes on the trap so if they were to get loose inside, they are not going to slide out of the trap.
    Chico,

That's exactly why I wanted to use the hose. The rebar makes more sense than the sand. THANKS to all for your inputs!

I use 4 sticks of 5/8" rebar and never had a pot move that I can tell. I just zip tie them into the pot. The hose is a good idea though

A guy could dip the rebar into some of that duraliner pickup bed liner they sell at walleyworld, it would seal up the rebar or steel rod/shaft nicely. Driveway sealer might last for awhile also.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692