Thread: tying the flash fly

Default tying the flash fly

I'm trying to tie some flash fly's for the comming season and the first one didn't turn out the best . It might be my material , I tried using a extra limp Flashabou and when I tried to fold it back from the front it just went everywhere . I added some krystal flash and that helped to stiffen it up a little , I guess I'm not use to the fold back part not being anchored in some way near the back of the hook to help hold it all in place . Any ideas ?
    chugbugs are for big bass -topwater!

I would say your Flashabou going everywhere is an advantage to be desired! But maybe I don't completely understand what happened, or what you were trying for. Flashy, moppy flash flies are money, IMO! 9 out of 10 silver or chum salmon surveyed inhaled them!

It just seemed like the tinsel was hanging everywhere , without it being anchored in the back to keep it straight , I wonder if the extra limp flashabou is the problem .

like Jack said, sloppy flash is money! think bigger profile and action! if anything, the water pressure will fold the tinsel back during the hangdown or when stripping. try a few out first.

Make sure you use a buck tail underwing.

Tie in the weight, tail then body. then tie in bucktail, then tie in the flashabou, use half as much as you think you need and tie it right in the middle, the tie in a wrap the hackle then fold the flashabou back and wrap over it forming the head...

Perfect flash fly with little waste. The bucktail is nice because it keeps the wing from wrapping the hook for the most part.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

My recipe doesn't call for any bucktail ? And I can't find alot of info on them or recipes . There is one video on you tube and whatever he is using is alot stiffer , my stuff even falls off sideways its just to limp .

There's no "correct" way to tie a flash fly. Just a million variations on the same principle. Lots of flash and a little color for accent (the hackle). AKPM's directions sound like a winner to me. I also tie in flashabou in the middle and then fold it back over - definitely makes it more secure with less thread wraps. Adding a small bucktail wing will help reduce the flash fouling around the hook. I woudn't worry in the slightest about your flash being too limp (other things, maybe so! LOL). Anyway, tie up a bunch and go fishing. The salmon won't care.

This is just the first random pic I found online (not trying to intentionally push this website) that shows how the bucktail (blue) is tied in as an underwing.
    http://www.gearbuyer.com/products/bl...steelhead.html

Do a google image search for "flash fly" and you'll see lots of variations. To echo the sentiments of those who posted above me, I bet what you're tying will work as is.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thanks for the help guys , I added the bucktail underwing and it helped alot also the krystal flash seems so much easier to work with for the wing but I'm still wrapping the body with flashabou .

Are you wetting the flash with saliva before tying it in? Works good for me............

M

what AKPM says :

The only thing that is commonly added is a a hackle collar of red saddle; most flash flies are tied with a a red collar and red bucktail underwing, but some use blue, or red and blue. There is not much material used in the underwing. There is a book on alaska fly tying, that has instructions (mostly black and white pictures), and it is tied like that. Some people use holographic flashabou and crystal flash underwing, which looks prettier, but I don't know if it catches fish. There are stiffer flashabou products out there if limpness bothers you. I have tried this without an underwing and it makes a mess with flashabou winding around the hook point.