Thread: This Winter in SE, how's it gonna factor in to the spring Bear grass ??

Default This Winter in SE, how's it gonna factor in to the spring Bear grass ??

(Ha, coming up with a thread title,.... sometimes the most entertaining part,...)

I'm wondering if any of the Southeast Folks can help me out, with some scoop on the weather they have had this winter,

Considering the mass snow load up north, I didn't think it was a factor for most of lower SE, until

I read one of the Wrangell guys recently mentioning really deep snow and hanging on there late,....??
    I know Wrangell is not the outer coast, but it got me wondering

So, as I have some options for timing of travel north this next couple of weeks, can anyone offer some advice on timing for finding Black Bears out munching the spring grass, this year, is it gonna be late, ??
    First of May, too early,...should I try to wait longer,
    (down here, in Port Townsend, it's almost summer, getting anxious,....but,
    there's always more work to do,...)

Thanks
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

We have skunk cabbage growing down low but 1,500 and up the stuff is very deep but I'll keep watching for sure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

At lower elevations spring is springing (sprung?). Things are budding out and the last week or so the weather has been spectacular. Up higher lots of snow still, many roads still snowed in. Some of the bears are up and about. I take it you're boat/beach hunting so I'd say you'd be good early May. Rumor has it lots folks will be out as this is the last non-draw hunt for non-res.

I'm glad I fenced in a few last fall because as Will said, around 1500 feet it gets deep. My son was over on POW--north, last week and said some of the small roads had 4' of snow on them.

Really hasn't greened up yet though. I went and glassed some alpine this weekend on Baranof Island and found some tracks in the alpine snow. One could have been bear the other was likely goat. The snow is still super deep and we got folks snowboarding still.

Quote Originally Posted by ibohnt View Post
    At lower elevations spring is springing (sprung?). Things are budding out and the last week or so the weather has been spectacular. Up higher lots of snow still, many roads still snowed in.
    i have a feeling that we'll pay for it later. been fishing the outer coast. flat calm

The other way around, what's the snow pack like down in your neck of the woods kodiakrain- specificially southwest Afognak/Raspberry? I've got a couple of buddies heading down that way at the end of the month to hunt bear (DB193).

Thanks!
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

No tracks except snowballs rolling.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    The other way around, what's the snow pack like down in your neck of the woods kodiakrain- specificially southwest Afognak/Raspberry? I've got a couple of buddies heading down that way at the end of the month to hunt bear (DB193).

Thanks!
    Rich
    Sorry Rich, can't tell you much, I'm currently in Port Townsend, Wash state, been here most of the winter,
    overhauling a Fishing Vessel,....so,

it's just what the kids are saying, "The Snow Trenches we dug out front, are showing grass on the floors now,..."
    was, "waist high, to a 10yr old." about a week or so back

Sounds like it's warming fast, but that's at about 50ft elevation in town there,

I posted a photo of the super deep snow, up on Pillar mtn behind town, a while back,..."
    Thread titled : "Not such a good picture for the Blacktails" (something like that, in the hunting forum)
    and there were a fair amount of Kodiak guys posting the recent story on snowload,
    so your buddies might want to check that out

In another thread,One guy was recently down in Deadman with a camera, looked forbiddingly snowy, and that's the far south end basically, (I'll see if I can link it for ya, was a great photo)

off the top of my head, the SW Afognak/Raz area is pretty exposed to the NW storms blowing across the Shelikof,
    and almost surely will have more snow than Kodiak town area, (?, just a thought anyway)

All you others,..."Thanks Lots, for the info"....very good to know, can relax a little bit down here

Here it is,....Whoohoo, I say

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=#post1101266
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I'm glad I didn't book my early hunt like I usually do .....

Yeah, no kidding,...I'm glad I've got a loose schedule,...nothing like being self-employed,...well
    except for the stability thing that some guys have,...

I'm running out of "Investment money,"...... could use a, "stable job paycheck," if anyone has an extra one laying around,...heh, heh
    Heck, I'm gonna have to find some Bear meat, just to get home,...or I'll be eating Beach Grass salad myself

PS: by the way, that photo was taken by, "anonymous 1," the guy who has some land down in Deadman's on Kodiak
    and taken two weeks back, post #36 from that thread that's linked there on the bottom

(ran out of edit time)

Check the AP&T webcams:
    http://aptalaska.com/index.php?actio...hPage&pageID=8

I really don't think it's much different around here from usual except a slightly cooler spring up till this last few weeks. It won't effect the grass down low and I bet the grass up high won't be much later than usual. If anything it might make the hunt more productive early as the low-mid level stuff may be a little more covered forcing them down a little bit lower. But then it's bark and skunk cabbage and beach greens we're talking here and as Will points out, it's coming up rosy...er...skunky.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Haven't really seen any skunk cabbage popping up yet. Grass is just starting to grow along the roadsides, especially at the Ferry Terminal. Buddy said bears are out down at Thane.

Well this sucks.More light snow this morning up top and everything that was there last week is still there and no sign this morning.Banana belt right

It's the typical pre season excitement boil over. Lots of hunters itching to get out. The SE area is still very cold although we have enjoyed some sun as of late. The beaches just are not green and the mountains are still packed with snow. It's very obvious when the green up occurs and who can dispute fresh piles just off the beach line. Show me an area of good munch down and some scat and I'll get excited.

I think they'll be down on the beaches, right on schedule. At least in my area. Bears aren't afraid to walk through snow.

Hey Kodiak,

Got your PM, I have some ideas for ya. Feel free to call anytime 351-2978 and we can chat. I have seen 2 this week in my travels doing some steelie fishing with some friends from Anchorage both were 'mini' fellas. If you need a place to crash on the trip we can arrange something as well.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I'll definitely track ya down Mike, am in Ketchikan, running a few projects and waiting for weather, a bit,...

So, what is happening among the Bear Hunters throughout SE?
    haven't seen anything coming thru Canada, but wasnt really glassing heavy either beside the obvious areas

Seems a little cool, for May, snow not far up,...but the Bears have got to be roaming about,....

are folks takin them, and too busy to tell stories about it yet? down here,....

went for a hike above ketchikan yesterday saw one lying in the sun on a goat cliff. couldn't tell anything on size without binos but looked sleek and black, snow is on the run now.