Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sportjon owner running to lake creek and back how much fuel

Default Sportjon owner running to lake creek and back how much fuel

Ive never made the run how much fuel do you guys use how fast are you running. Thanks Chris
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Last year we ran to Lake Creek from Deshka landing and I used about 50 gallons runnin wide open. It was the end of the season with low water but awesome time. I bring extra gas just in case... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Ive never made the run how much fuel do you guys use how fast are you running. Thanks Chris
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Bob. Was that round trip there and back thanks Chris

Default fuel

Made several trips last year, significant differances, if i remember correctly it was about 125mile round trip from Deshka landing. Just cruising and exploring sloughs it took about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs one way

Cruising around 4000rpm, approx 5gph, used about 37 gals (25-30mph roughly) load was 2 full sized men, hunting gear, 30 extra gallons of fuel

5000rpms to WOT round trip used 58gals (35-40+mph roughly) load was 2 full sized men, lunch.
    Time differance- not enough to burn 20 extra gallons of fuel in my book (about 2 hrs one way)

If things work out right, I am headed up there the weekend of 26 May, you are more than welcome to come along. give me call sometime.
    Mike

Yes is was... plus some awesome playing in the shallows... "fishon"

Bob. Was that round trip there and back thanks Chris

Have put a down payment on a cabin on fish creek just past lake creek hoping to run up that same weekend to look at it

Ya Buddy... You know I'm there wichya Mike. I believe that is the weekend of the 2012 Spring Gathering for those that are not heading up to the Fairbanks area for that Gathering. Will Probably be staying at Susitna Landing like we did last year or somewhere close to it. Still kinda waiting to hear from T... will advise... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by HCL View Post
    Made several trips last year, significant differances, if i remember correctly it was about 125mile round trip from Deshka landing. Just cruising and exploring sloughs it took about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs one way

Cruising around 4000rpm, approx 5gph, used about 37 gals (25-30mph roughly) load was 2 full sized men, hunting gear, 30 extra gallons of fuel

5000rpms to WOT round trip used 58gals (35-40+mph roughly) load was 2 full sized men, lunch.
    Time differance- not enough to burn 20 extra gallons of fuel in my book (about 2 hrs one way)

I things work out right I am headed up there the weekend of 26 May, you are more than welcome to come along. give me call sometime.
    Mike

Sounds good to me.

Have put a down payment on a cabin on fish creek just past lake creek hoping to run up that same weekend to look at it
    It is about 57 miles from Deshka up to Northwoods Lodge (located on Fish Lakes Creek). I run a jet but not the Mercury (Extreme Shallow with the Yamaha) so my estimations would differ significantly. Just an FYI if your cabin is above the rapids (see narrow section on map) then you may need to pull your boat up if the water level is not high enough. I would definitely check it out before running it. My cabin is up above the rapids so I am speaking from a lot of experience $$$ needless to say.

http://g.co/maps/xmkw5

1875XA it is above the rapids and the owner has told me in one spot we would have to get out and pull the boat his brother is a guide and they both run the Greatland welding boats made by Gary here in Wasilla. He told me his brother runs it all the time but the one time he tried to run it he put a hole in his boat. He told me it only adds 30 minute to the trip so he doesnt chance it anymore. What type of boat do you run. If you follow that map you showed me to the lake that has the fish lakes on it in blue looks the 4th lake. There is a penisula coming out from the right the cabin is on the penisula. Did you get my pm

Using google earth and following the river from the cabin to landing 55.5 miles. Great pike fishing and bear hunting Im told

1875XA it is above the rapids and the owner has told me in one spot we would have to get out and pull the boat his brother is a guide and they both run the Greatland welding boats made by Gary here in Wasilla. He told me his brother runs it all the time but the one time he tried to run it he put a hole in his boat. He told me it only adds 30 minute to the trip so he doesnt chance it anymore. What type of boat do you run. If you follow that map you showed me to the lake that has the fish lakes on it in blue looks the 4th lake. There is a penisula coming out from the right the cabin is on the penisula. Did you get my pm
    I did not get your PM. I run an 1875 Extreme Shallow and just bought a 16' airboat. If you follow the slough up from the top of the rapids my place is on the right just before you go into the next lake. Coincidently my boat is in at Gary's getting all fixed up for this season, I found one of those rocks and put a hole in mine as well. That is why I bought the airboat... I will be up there from June 9th through the 25th, feel free to stop by on your way thru. My place is a log cabin it sits 75 feet from the water so you can't miss it...by the way take it easy through the narrows by my place it is only about 100 yards long but there are a few rocks that will get you until you learn the way thru. You will love it up on Fish Lakes Creek...quiet and peaceful. Look forward to crossing paths or (wakes). Darin

Dont know why you didnt get my PM. So you just going to run the airboat now or leave it up there and run your 1875 to a certain spot. Guess Ill take it real easy until I figure everything out Im going to follow the current owner for the first trip. I know there is alot of pike what about salmon at the mouth of fish creek.

I haven't decided the logistics yet. There is an area on mud lake (lake at the bottom of the rapids) that is a community area and people keep their boats there. While I am up at the cabin this summer I will probably just toss an anchor out at the bottom of the rapids and let the boat sit on anchor at night, and run the rapids with the airboat. Haven't decided what I will do when I leave. Have put some thought of just driving the airboat up next to the cabin for the winter...last year I bought a pass at Deshka for the jet boat but my buddy is letting me store it in his heated garage this year, so that would be my other option for the airboat.

There are salmon at the mouth. Someone hooked up in late may or early June last year. Lake Creek has been good for me the last few years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So kings go in the mouth of fish creek what other salmon sorry about all the questions. I hear Lake creek is a mad house dont want to deal with that. I do love pike fishing which I know is good but also like my smoke salmon. How bad is it pushing a boat like ours through the rapids can a person just idle the boat on up.

1875XA,
    Just put 2 and 2 together and figured out where your place is and where the airboat is going. Now I understand completely why you bought the airboat. Rock on!
    BK

Silvers and pinks will go up there. Lake creek can be a bit crowded but I have never had a problem...most of the areas up that way get get a bit of pressure.

Here are a couple pictures of the rapids...(not sure how they came by that name) it may look like you can just run it but it's just a couple inches in spots. There is one path that I have tried to run and just about made it. The problem is that you have to make a left and then a quick right on step...between a couple of rocks sticking up, I was not able to hold the corner so a quick reverse to keep from running up on the bank was needed, we pushed the boat up 50' and I could continue running (plenty of water to get back on step) Once you get past that spot then it isn't a problem. The other shallow spot (a couple lakes up) that you will encounter you should be able to make it up. The year before last (remember all the rain) I never got out of the boat, ran right up...I was told that someone a few years ago moved a bunch of rocks and got in trouble by fish and game...not sure if it is a true story. We have talked about forming a path...

I am not able to pull my boat up there by myself, it takes at least two and if it is loaded then three.

That is why I bought the airboat. Not having any experience with airboats I am hoping that it will just motor it's way right up....at least I have been told it will by the airboat folks. We will see in a couple of months.

Feel free to ask me all the questions you like.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    1875XA,
    Just put 2 and 2 together and figured out where your place is and where the airboat is going. Now I understand completely why you bought the airboat. Rock on!
    BK
    You got it! I am hoping it is the answer as I have been told it is. I am sure I will find other uses for it too!

Bkmail...I just put 2and2 together an figured out who you are...I am a little slow .. Ha. I am getting excited!

I guess were both a lil slow!!
    Nice looking speedgoat by the way....I'll pick your brain on that when I see you next month.
    The pics look alot like the rock garden on the deshka, gnarly.
    BK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast