Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talkeetna river rumor

Default Talkeetna river rumor

Heard a few guides talking today in Subway they might be closing the Talkeetna for Kings this season if the Su drainage closes June 15th ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I know some buddies of mine have been doing really well on the talkeetna, but they don't go up to clear creek, they fish the main river. I haven't seen numbers on the run, but if they think it'll help the run im all for it. It seems like the kings up that way are getting crushed between pike and Over fishing.

Roger... F & G are figuring since the Parks Hwy Streams are going to C & R for Kings after the 12th of June, this will allow more Talkeetna Kings to get through. Since Clear Creek Kings typically don't even show until the week of the 25th of June and that fishery brings alot of business to the local economy it will be up to the local F & G to call any E.O restrictions to that area. I think if there was anything going to happen it wont be until after July 4th

Ok was in Town today and hearda few folks upset that the Talkeetna was only open for trout fishing ? Was going to stop in to ask Tri-Rivers but he was closed up for the day at 4 pm during king season makes me wonder if they shut the Talkeetna down did not see anything in the E.O

the entire Susitna Drainage is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Ok was in Town today and hearda few folks upset that the Talkeetna was only open for trout fishing ? Was going to stop in to ask Tri-Rivers but he was closed up for the day at 4 pm during king season makes me wonder if they shut the Talkeetna down did not see anything in the E.O
    Units 1 through 6 (the Susitna drainage) were closed June 25th. The Talkeetna and it's tributaries are unit 5.

Man Sucks to own a charter business or be a fishing guide in Talkeetna this year or anywhere as far as that goes

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Man Sucks to own a charter business or be a fishing guide in Talkeetna this year or anywhere as far as that goes
    Thats not really heart breaking news. The guides are responsible for a large number of the fish taken out of the rivers every year. Private citizens are regulated to 5 kings (2 this year from the su) and the guides can blast as many as they want. I fished the deshka a few times this year and saw quide boats making 2-3 trips a day taking a limit every time. With the closures of the other streams they were just blasting the deshka. Im glad they shut the dog and pony show down early. Give the fish a chance to survive. I know they arent the only problem but they arent helping.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Thats not really heart breaking news. The guides are responsible for a large number of the fish taken out of the rivers every year. Private citizens are regulated to 5 kings (2 this year from the su) and the guides can blast as many as they want. I fished the deshka a few times this year and saw quide boats making 2-3 trips a day taking a limit every time. With the closures of the other streams they were just blasting the deshka. Im glad they shut the dog and pony show down early. Give the fish a chance to survive. I know they arent the only problem but they arent helping.
    That's the way it goes when you decide to base your livelihood on a fluctuating item. Hence fishin vs catching guides.

You can always count on prostitutes and booze.

Says the new guy.

I have a great idea lets allow only one king per year per 5 years of residency. So 0-5 = 1king, 5-10=2kings ect. I would get 8 my grandfather can get 13, That seems fair to me. Hell lets do the same for hunting, I would have 22 pref points for Bison. I might get one finally.
    Guys slam guides but will also taut free access to game and free enterprise in the same forum. I find this very hypocritical and confusing. Do you want regulation and limitation or free access? Guides do not fish for kings, they provide others with the chance to do so. Is the fact that they are good at it the problem? If so then guys that are good fisherman need to be regulated, that dam Salmon Jedi guy is a huge problem from what I hear.
    So guides are the problem maybe but then so are guys like you and me.

Quote Originally Posted by akgiauque View Post
    Says the new guy.

I dont see how long I have been a resident is relevant to the amount of fish I do or dont catch. I know I havent been here long but I have a lot of respect for the wildlife and plan on staying here for a long time. Im not here one day gone the next. I spend a lot of time doing research and reading opinions on management and conservation.

The point I am making is that I can catch 5 kings a year. Guides can catch thousands. I can simply pay for the sticker on my boat and charge people that I know to fish on it and get an unlimited amount. Doesnt really seem like responsible management.

Lets keep discussions on track on not try to attack people because they havent been a forum member for half a decade or lived in Alaska their whole life. Im here now and Im not going anywhere for a long time.

My point is that you are basing a management philosophy on what is best for one group of users, private fisherman. Guides do not catch thousands of fish, other fisherman do, they just take them fishing. You want to formulate a plan that is comprehensive then so be it but your post was aimed at guides. I just gave you my opinion on a way to regulate guides and private fisherman.

As for paying to put a sticker on your boat, that may be a bit of an oversimplification.

As for the attacking you did yours in a more subtile way, but it was still an attack on guides. That is a personality difference, We both agree there is a problem just differ in our ideas of a solution. Semper Fi!

Guides catch thousands??? If a guide started on the 20th of May and fished two trips a day, 5 clients per trip. Ten clients a day for about a 55 day king season AND could get a every client to catch and kill one would only 550 would get killed. Yes that is a huge number but no one has that many clients wanting to go and the catch rate is far from a 100%. If I could just get that many people to go at $150.00 a client I would stop teaching and make the big bucks. Throw silvers and trout in there at 10 clients per day for another 65 days and now your talking real money. I hate to burst your bubble but guides are not making $160,000.00 a summer. Guides are also not the problem, Call sam Ivey at Palmer fish and game and ask. More Little Su guides ask him to shut it down than cry about not being able to fish.
    Bill Booth

I dont see how long I have been a resident is relevant to the amount of fish I do or dont catch. I know I havent been here long but I have a lot of respect for the wildlife and plan on staying here for a long time. Im not here one day gone the next. I spend a lot of time doing research and reading opinions on management and conservation.

The point I am making is that I can catch 5 kings a year. Guides can catch thousands. I can simply pay for the sticker on my boat and charge people that I know to fish on it and get an unlimited amount. Doesnt really seem like responsible management.

Lets keep discussions on track on not try to attack people because they havent been a forum member for half a decade or lived in Alaska their whole life. Im here now and Im not going anywhere for a long time.
    C6, you have to remember the guides don't actually fish, they run the boat, think of it as adult day care. Yeah some are good and can get people to catch their limit and make more then one trip a day. But they don't actually fish from a boat, only saltwater guides are allowed to do that as far as I know and I think that was about to change if it didn't this year. What I am taking out of your post is you don't like them, no biggie it's your personal opinion which you have more then earned the right to have. But don't hate them because they are good at what they do, if any thing those are the guys you should be sucking up to to find out how to do things better. If we all spent 5 days a week on any river we would be pretty good at it. And from my own personal experience the guides I am friends with are pretty good about not abusing the resource. They don't want to loose their jobs, and have to go find a new one that might stink.

Kenaibow,
    Guides and clients do fish from a boat all the time in fresh water.

Guides take the customers to the hole, show them how to fish and typically supply the gear. So without a guide service there would be hundreds if not thousands of more fish every year coming up the more popular rivers. They are usually good at what they do and that is harvesting salmon.
    I wouldn't slam c6 for his observations, guides kill fish, fact.
    BK
    BK

My intent was not to say that guides are the only problem. They are a decent slice of the pie in river though. The major issues are obviously else where but Im not going to shed a single tear that they are shut down. I dont have a problem with them making a living fishing I think its great but I do think there are too many of them and the numbers of them should be regulated.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Kenaibow,
    Guides and clients do fish from a boat all the time in fresh water.

Guides take the customers to the hole, show them how to fish and typically supply the gear. So without a guide service there would be hundreds if not thousands of more fish every year coming up the more popular rivers. They are usually good at what they do and that is harvesting salmon.
    I wouldn't slam c6 for his observations, guides kill fish, fact.
    BK
    BK
    no guides can not fish will on a paid guided trip. it is against the law, they baby sit. They can not physically have a rod in hand with a line in the water with a hook attached to it. I wasn't slamming him I am pointing out guides don't fish, during trips with clients. Other then that I can't tell you what they do or don't do. That is my point only nothing more. They are good at what they do, we know that, they spend 5 days a week some times more on a river fishing. Yes they kill fish but no more then any body else.

My intent was not to say that guides are the only problem. They are a decent slice of the pie in river though. The major issues are obviously else where but Im not going to shed a single tear that they are shut down. I dont have a problem with them making a living fishing I think its great but I do think there are too many of them and the numbers of them should be regulated.
    Oh I am pretty sure they will be regulated as far as numbers go…….it has been suggested and looked at, I am pretty sure it is only a matter of time.

[QUOTE=akgiauque;1140453]Guides do not fish for kings, they provide others with the chance to do so. Is the fact that they are good at it the problem? If so then guys that are good fisherman need to be regulated, that dam Salmon Jedi guy is a huge problem from what I hear.
    QUOTE]

Rep points sent to you sir. The Empire sees favor in you for recognizing my powers. LOL
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast