Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New x bolt .325 wsm

Talking New x bolt .325 wsm

I just picked up a new x bolt chambered in .325 wsm from SW in wasilla tonight. I hope it shoots as good as it looks. I topped it off with a Vortex Viper HS 4.5-16x44 mounted with 30mm leupold hardware. She wears a dura coat finish and has a 23" stainless barrel. I refuse to pay outrageous prices for factory ammo, so I hand loaded some 200 gr tsx's last weekend. The initial investment was a little steep but should be back down around a buck a round from here on out. Also hoping to load some 180 tsx's and see what's available in 220gr range. If anyone else has a similar setup I'd be interested to see what your shooting.

PIX! Or it didn't happen!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

[QUOTE=AKBOLING;1107413]I just picked up a new x bolt chambered in .325 wsm from SW in wasilla tonight. I hope it shoots as good as it looks. QUOTE]

Yep, me too,...waiting for a Pic,...

first results at the target pics, are cool too,...

Congrats, sounds like a Fine Choice
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    PIX! Or it didn't happen!

I managed to shoot some sub 1in groups with my new XBolt in 308 a couple weekends ago and have a new batch of test loads ready to roll when I catch a windless day. The day I shot it was very gusty - had to time the gust and swing the barrel into the wind as I pulled the trigger - not a technique many can master!
    So far I am impressed with mine AKBOLING, hopefully yours will turn out to be a great shooter as well! Good luck mastering the pic posting - you'll get it!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Thanks to Stid (Steve) there is alot of great reloading data on here for the 325. I use RL17 in my 325 with 200gr Partitions, Accubonds. I settled with 66.5gr of RL-17 with Fed 215 primers COAL 2.895. Suggest the 10% rule on this data and work up to the 66.5gr. Even though it was fine in my rifle never know.

Went down to birchwood today to test out the x bolt started at 50 yds and after ten rounds I had two sub MOA groups to finish the day at 100 yds

I am looking to purchase a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 325WSM as well.

Great thread, keen to hear more

It's light, well balanced, trigger feels good I backed it all the way off, it's a sharp looking gun compared to the ugly kimbers, I really like the box magazine. I had no cycling problems. The dua touch stock is slip resistant and though very utilityish looks good and the contours on the for grip and palm swell fit well. The fancy recoil pad does a great job of absorbing recoil, by the way it does kick a little with 200 gr TSX loaded to 3000 fps. The bolt unlock feature is neat though I could prob survive without it. Bolt cycles good not as smooth as my tikka t3 SL but all in the same it was smooth and the hexagonal shape looks sharp. The vortex viper HD I mounted on it is a 4.5-16x44 great glass collects a lot of light w 30mm tube and has a great capped turret system that easily allows you to reset your zero once dialed in. For $460 bucks I think the vortex is worth every penny and hard to beat, I'd take it over a $600 vxIII any day, and I've shot both plus there customer service is second to none. If your looking for a good all around Alaskan gun I would not hesitate to grab one of these. The whole rig was about $1400. I mostly hunt moose with an occasional bou but would feel very comfortable taking a brownie with this gun. My buddy also pointed out that it would make a great sheep gun because of its compact light weight features and flat shooting abilities, plus many sheep hunters run across bears so having a little more boom stick than a 25-06 would be nice. When I get my computer up and running I'll try to post a few pics.

Quote Originally Posted by 340Wby View Post
    I am looking to purchase a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 325WSM as well.

Great thread, keen to hear more
    I already have one Browning 325 WSM, and looking to purchase one more here shortly, but neitehr will be an X-Bolt. All great rifles though.

Default Pics for proof

535339_151091025018249_100003520582740_11009689_1555508073_n.jpg553085_151091235018228_100003520582740_11009690_139968436_n.jpg
    These were 200gr TSX over 65g of H380 at 100 yds using a folded up jacket for a sand bag.

Default New Guns

561927_150452478415437_100003520582740_11007692_1405860958_n.jpg
    The 325 with its little brother the t3 sl 223

Dem bad ole mooses are counting their days now!
    I like the overall feel and looks of my xbolt as well, never held a Vortex scope - where are they made?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Seems like you are dialed in. You going to kill a bear with it this spring? Good way to break it in, if so.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Dem bad ole mooses are counting their days now!
    I like the overall feel and looks of my xbolt as well, never held a Vortex scope - where are they made?
    Well the rifle is made in Japan and the Scope was Made in the Philippines according to the stamp on the bottom of it, not feeling to patriotic about it but its a shooter.

Our warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale.
    The VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customers. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all riflescopes, binoculars, spotting scopes and monoculars.

This is why I use vortex optics besides the fact that they are excellent, I can run them over with my truck and go back to the place I bought it and exhange it over the counter. I think some of there really high end stuff might be made in the good ol USA.

I may get a chance to give it a test run on a black bear in the sound, but I have 6 college classes and two youngsters to tend to until I leave for the summer to slay millions of salmon.

Ok guys, before I go through the long drawn out process of a google search, can somebody tell me what the main difference is between the X bolt and the old A bolt? I haven't kept up on these things....

Thanks.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Ok guys, before I go through the long drawn out process of a google search, can somebody tell me what the main difference is between the X bolt and the old A bolt? I haven't kept up on these things....

Thanks.....
    I have 2 a-bolts and 1 x-bolt. My x-bolt is a little lighter, has a different magazine, and a different stock.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

Thanks.....
    I also have one of each, the main differences are the magazines. The a bolt has a detachable magazine the locks into a hinged floor plate, the x bolt has a polymer box magazine that is a rotary type similar to a 10-22 that drops out. This new mag is designed so that the bullet is perfectly in line with the chamber for feeding purposes. Also the x bolts actual bolt design is different, the xbolt has a button on the bolt that allows you to open the bolt while the tang safety is still in the safe position. The x bolt also has a new scope base mounting design that uses four screws as apposed to the standard two. The x bolt is lighter and has a fancy super squishy recoil pad that has baffles in it that are angled. X bolt comes with the dura touch stock that feels like rubber but does not weigh 24 lbs like a gouge stock. The x bolt also has what browning refers to as the feather trigger, single stage no creep adjustable from 3-5 lbs with the turn of an Allen screw. My 23" x bolt is balanced way better than my 26" a-bolt and the stock is much nicer. The last diff I can point out is the x bolt cost a few hundred more bucks.

Geez, Congratulations,..is about all I can say to this thread,

You have done well,...bet you're gonna enjoy that rifle

I had an A-bolt, seems like forever, and was so impressed that my last, "new rifle," decision process,...
    I must have hefted the X-Bolt a hundred times down at the store, really felt good,.... smooth,..., and looks like I imagined,...accurate

I ended up with a Tikka, just for economics, and am plenty happy with it,

but reading this,....I think I'm going back to Browning next time,....."hmmm, what caliber do I need next?"

Right On Move Ak, and nice thread with detail
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast