Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Kodiak Bear Out

Default Another Kodiak Bear Out

Looks like there's another thread started, but it was mixed company (browns and blacks). I talked to seinerman tonight, and he saw a good brownie moving about. He was too far offshore to get a good read on it, but it sounded like he had some size to him. Time to start gearing up boys!

BTW, the bear was spotted on the west side of the Rock... Cape Ugat. Haven't heard any reports from the east side yet. Good luck to everyone headed out

Just got a voicemail from seinerman. He saw another bear on the west side of the island, and got a good look at this one, close enough to shoot some video of it. The bear was 10+', and not rubbed. The snow line on the west side is moving up rapidly, and most of the south facing slopes are snow free. If you've got a west side tag, it's time to start thinking about heading down.

Quote Originally Posted by akshootnscoot View Post
    Just got a voicemail from seinerman. He saw another bear on the west side of the island, and got a good look at this one, close enough to shoot some video of it. The bear was 10+', and not rubbed. The snow line on the west side is moving up rapidly, and most of the south facing slopes are snow free. If you've got a west side tag, it's time to start thinking about heading down.
    Excellent news! Heading over on Monday. Will post pics if I have any success.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Good luck! Weather looks to be picking up this weekend, but should be on its way back down on Monday.

Looks like I'll be heading down next Friday. Because I know this next week will drag on, and I need something to occupy my time, I just bought a gopro with the "break the speed limit get it here as soon as you possibly can because I can't live without it" shipping. Don't think the productivity will be too high at work this week...

As tdelarm mentioned, hope to have some pics to post.

On an unrelated note, I read recently that part of Chuck Norris' beard went rogue a while back and that's why brown bears are brown.

Seinerman and I just returned from our trip, with two brownies in the bag. We saw 37 bears (some duplicates, lots of sows with cubs). Since he already has his toad, he shot the first legal bear with a nice hide that we saw (and could put a stalk on). She's definitely not going to win any big bear contests, but she sure is purdy. It started raining while we were taking pics, so they turned out blurry. I need to try pulling stills from the video to get some good shots. We took a couple days off after his bear to put the boat to work for a bit. We gave up some good weather days, but made up for it once we were back at it.

Once we were focused on bear again, the weather was starting to kick up. On our way around the corner to hole up and wait for the low to blow out, we saw a couple mature bears out on the end of the cape. The next afternoon, we found a nice anchorage 4 miles from where we saw the bears. We hit the beach around 5 pm and started getting after it. Checking every beach along the way, we hit the end of the cape around 8, and found one of the bears we saw the previous day. Perched on the bluff above the beach with the wind in our favor, he walked right under us, and I couldn't pass him up. He'll square out between 8.5' and 9'. He's a little more rubbed than I was hoping for, but we got a good enough look at him before pulling the trigger to know what we were getting. Two hours skinning and loading up, and we were headed back. Most of the hike back was in the dark, but luckily the only glowing eyes we saw were from some foxes. We hit the boat at 1 am, and I have to say that pack made my sheep feel like a picnic. Pics to follow.

I did find an elk shed that looked like it was dropped last week... great condition. We have elk tags for that same hunt area this fall, and looks like he'll be a 6x6 if he made it through the winter.

One of the nicer sunsets

Supporting local business in town

As mentioned in a previous post, I tried out the GoPro Hero2. I don't know if vids are supported, but I'll give it a shot...

<click above for video>
    Last edited by akshootnscoot; 05-05-2012 at 00:58. Reason: vids or it didn't happen

Here's a still of Seinerman's bear

Really happy for you and thanks for sharing your adventure. The video was a great added bonus
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Congrats...great job and beautiful bears.

Cant wait to hit the hills..thanks for posting.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Congrats on a couple of real nice bears guys! What a way to start off the hunting season!!

Loved the video but how did you mount the camera?

Thanks guys! It was definitely a great time. Really has me looking forward to getting back down there in a few months. As far as the camera, I used the head mount that came with the Outdoor version. I'll be trying out the other mounts (chest, suction cup, handlebar, etc) this summer and fall.

awesome pics and video! did you have that attached to your head? I have been looking to get one and am wondering what accessories are available for it. can't wait till I draw a kodiak bear tag, looks like you guys had a great time. thanks for sharing

Nice! I enjoy hunting the outercoast areas. The scenery and wildlife are captivating. That sounded like a rough return. I've always thought I'd skin the bear and attach it to a bouy (found on the beach) attach a line to it. Then return to the boat and use an inflatable to get ashore. Then paddle/motor past the breakers and pull the bouy bear package to the awaiting vessel.

Nice bears, the smiles on the faces tell it all,, cheers !!
    Gotta love them 'ivories'..
    Last edited by DEDWUF; 05-06-2012 at 14:36. Reason: word addition

Seinerman and I just returned from our trip, with two brownies in the bag.
    Just watched the video....Was he done after the 4 shots? Did you hit him all 4 times? What caliber? How far?....details man details...!!! Just would like to hear at least a little more of the story....lol Congrats...!!!

As mentioned in a previous post, I tried out the GoPro Hero2. I don't know if vids are supported, but I'll give it a shot...

<click above for video>

GREAT VIDEO! GREAT BEAR! Congrats on a fine hunt.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Awesome vid, great pictures! What were the sizes of said bears and skulls?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast