Thread: Kings for A Day!

Default Kings for A Day!

On April 10, 2012 I took my three oldest kids out fishing for feeder kings with Capt Shane from Driftwood Charters out of Homer, Alaska. We left the harbor at 8:30am to start trolling. We started out toward the south because the water was calmer, and fished several different areas without a single strike. Around 2:00 pm, Capt Shane decided the weather had calmed down enough to head north to try a new spot. We started trolling again and we finally had our first strike, and the excitement level rose dramatically...although it didn't last more than a couple seconds and the fish spit the hook. Well, at least we knew there was at least one fish in the ocean. Capt Shane kept at it, and we hooked into another fish within 30 minutes. My 5 year old daughter started reeling in the fish with a little help from dad. I held the pole and she reeled like crazy. After a few minutes, she landed the 14 pound feeder king! My daughter had caught her first fish and it was a beauty! She was so excited and happy...and I couldn't have been prouder. Capt Shane decided to change up the gear on one of the poles and asked my 5 year old to pick out the flasher. She picked a nice purple flasher with a yellow eye. The rig wasn't in the water for 30 minutes and we had another fish on! It was my 10 year old sons time to fight the fish. It wasn't long before we netted another 14 pound feeder king! Those two salmon could have been twins my daughters was about an inch longer, but my sons was a little heftier. This was my sons first fish that was bigger than the bait we were using. He was jumping for joy and couldn't wait to thump the fish on the head with the "fish beater". We started fishing again and things slowed down. I was getting concerned that my 13 year old daughter wouldn't catch a fish. Capt Shane was very persistent and we fished and fished. Finally, the rod bucked and we had another fish on! The fish swam right up under the boat, around the motor and threaded through another downrigger. Capt Shane went to work and after some pretty fancy rod handling had the fish untagled from the motor and away from the other fishing gear. While handing the rod back to my daughter we somehow managed to flip the bail and a glorious rat nest sprung forth! My heart sank as Capt Shane pulled out the tangles giving lots of slack to the fish. After a few tense moments, we reeled in the slack and the line went tight! Somehow the fish was stilled hooked! My daughter kept reeling on the fish, almost got her hair wrapped around the reel, but finally persevered and landed a gorgeous 12 pound feeder king! Her fish was the prettiest king I have ever seen with a blue violet streak down the back, transitioning to a blue green down the side and bright silver belly. She couldn't have been happier! This was also her first "bragging" sized fish. Capt Shane decided we should keep fishing since the fish were still cooperating. We made a couple more passes and had another fish on! The kids said, "Dad, it's your turn to catch a fish. We each have one!" This fish was a fighter! He gave a good fight with several deep runs. After several minutes Capt Shane scooped out my first feeder king, a 19 pounder! I couldn't have been happier with our trip. Everyone caught a fish. Capt Shane did an outstanding job finding the fish and ensuring we had a fantastic trip. The accounts of today will be etched in our memories forever.

~CubeCove

Superb! Did you get any pics!?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Wow...great story!! I smiled the entire time I was reading it. That's what fishing is all about...everyone having fun, all the kids catching fish, and the captain doing an outstanding job for you!!

Great story, thanks for sharing!!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Charterboat Operator

Way to go Shaneo!!! Sounds like a great trip cubecove!

It sure is nice hearing about young kids catching nice fish and being outdoors with family. Congrats.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Charterboat Operator

awsome!!! no need to say more! congrats

I do have some pics I will post when I get back home if a few days. Thank you all for the kind comments.

CubeCove

Outstanding! I took my six year old daughter out for her first boat ride last weekend. She caught her first fish ever, a small black rockfish that she released back to the water. She jigged, hooked, set, and reeled this in by herself. She's already asking to go out again this weekend.

Have a great season, everybody!
    Gwen's rockfish.jpg

Awesome story, sounds like you guys had a great day of fishing!

That's a story that brightens everyone's day cube.

Thank you!

Ditto all on a great family story and a nice tribute to a hard-working captain! thanks for sharing this cube!

Thanks for the great story! That got me even more excited to get out fishing with the kids this year. The money you spent on the guided trip will pay huge dividends over the lives of your children. Way to go.