Thread: Headed to Kodiak in June

Default Headed to Kodiak in June

I'm headed to Kodiak in June. Hope to fish the Road system for a couple of days. Any suggestions as to which river or creeks would be best around the 10th-13th? Are chum salmon available at this time? Has anyone fished the stocked lakes? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chums don't really come in till august. That time of year I would target buskin for reds as well as early pasagshak reds. Stocked rainbow fishing should be great as well as saltwater dollies and kings

Thanks Kodiak Commando, I will be fishing in Old harbor for a few days then return to the road system. Would it be possible to actually catch a King Salmon from the shore? What would be the type of set up for that type of fishing? What has happened to the fishery that introduced Kings to the other rivers in the road system south of town? Would you recommend trying to fish for Kings?

The kodiak kings stocking of Monoshka (north of town) as well as american and olds (south of town) have been a huge success IMO.

Definately would recommend it. I havent had much luck fishing the mouth of amercian but I have done real well at the mouth of olds and monoshka. I would target monoshka big time as they seem to come in ealier their... caught my first fish there last year on June 8. That being said there are not a ton of fish yet but the plus is not much in terms of crowds either as they wait till there is many more fish. Best tactic is to show up right at low tide and fish till high.... I actually do better closer to low and peak time halfway between low and high. That time of year fish are still feeding a lot and not necesarrily intersted in entering the river. That day on june 8th I never saw a fish roll but I did a lot of casting and caught one after a few hours then caught another casting to jumping needlefish that were most like under diress from kings.

As far as gear goes I either use an 8 or 9 weight fly rod with baitfish patters like clausers or decievers. If I am spin fishing I prefer Blue fox vibrax spinners in a variety of sizes and colors but by far my go to lure is blue body silver blade.

I would also recomend using no more than 12 pound test and i usually go with 10. Many people get carried away with what line weight they need. The time of year your searching for fish so the longer you can cast the more water you can cover and with good fighting techniques 10 is fine.

I will send you a personal message Kodiak Commando.