Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Finder recommendations?

Default Range Finder recommendations?

I want to replace a lost range finder and am looking for recommendations. As I live & hunt in Kodiak, being waterproof is an essential feature. And being range finder challenged, simplicity is also good. What models do folks like best? And where is the best place to purchase?
    Thanks
    PS - I found this site: http://www.laserrangefinderreview.com/
    They really like the Leica crf rangemaster 1000 yards 40529 but it's $599!

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-8370-Pro...4183962&sr=8-3

Nikon 550 for the price this is a good unit. the only thing not water proof is battery cover but it has a seal. Accurate to .5 yrds according to Nikon specs

Certified Pre-Owned - Show Display Unit
    Cert. Pre-Owned Price: $479.99
    http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=40529
    And a sponsor.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

nomotor,

Whatever rangefinder you purchase, I strongly recommend that you keep the safety strap around your neck or attached to your shooting vest, or to something while you are sheep or goat hunting.

When unrestrained and not connected to you, those guys can easily get away from ya and it is just astonishing how fast they can attain terminal velocity and zoom a thousand feet+ down the mountain!

Save your $$$ and get the Leica. They are the only ones that truly work.

Bought a Bushnell, Nikon and a Leupold before I bought my Leica CRF 1200. The Leica just plain works...

I store mine in a Alaska Guide Creations Bino chest pack and keep the lanyard looped around one of the pack straps so I never leave it lay in the heat of the shot.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I've used numerous rangefinders in the past. Some were definitely better than others and few performed as advertised. In the last 5 years I believe that has largely changed. I've seen "cheap" rangefinders perform just as well as Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski. I bought a Zeiss Victory model two years ago and it has performed admirably. I can't say its waterproof, but it has survived a lot of wet/monsoon weather. It has ranged brown bears nearly 1200 yards away on numerous occasions. It is not as small as some, but I find that an attribute rather than a detraction.

If you are pinching pennies then I recommend that you buy a Bushnell. The purpose of a rangefinder is determine range, optically superiority is not really an issue and for under $300 you can know the range farther than most will ever consider shooting. Top quality optics are important for numerous reasons and I'll pay for that difference in a binocular or spotting scope, not in a rangefinder.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I went for this one, based on my research and comments here. Thanks everyone for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    Certified Pre-Owned - Show Display Unit
    Cert. Pre-Owned Price: $479.99
    http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=40529
    And a sponsor.

You didn't waste any time but I'm sure you will like it. I bought a Leupold based on recommendations that I recieved and have since used several others. On a budget I would have said the Bushnell as I like it more than the Leupold, otherwise I would have suggested the Leica as well. Maybe someone will inherit my Leupold so I will be forced to buy a Leica

I have went through a couple of rangefinders. I started out with a Bushnell (fine for bow-hunting only), and then I moved up to a Leupold (I hated it) and now I have a Leica 900 and I love it. I can hold it off hand and get readings on sheep over 800 yards away.

+1 on the Leica , I have owned the Bushnell, Leupold, and Leica and without a doubt I would recommend the Leica. I actually had decent luck with the Bushnell scout (especially for the money) however, I had some type of battery drain issue. It would drain the battery for no apparent reason and at exactly the wrong time.

My vote is for Opti-Logic Micro II.. It has a red LED dot and readout; smallest, lightest, waterproof, locks on immediately; ranges very close and also well beyond 400 yards.. They invented angle compensation. Strong product support.

Quote Originally Posted by nomotor View Post
    I went for this one, based on my research and comments here. Thanks everyone for your input.
    Good choice.

just wondering what peoples experiences have been with the new models that will work out angles shots?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

If you can afford it. I would go with the Lieca Geovids. Binos and range finder all in one tool. I have a set and I absolutely love them. Nothing beats having it all built in one unit, no more scrambling for the range finder for this kat. No Sir!

I've owned two Leicas and a Bushnell. (I am currently saving my pennies for the Swaro EL Ranges.)The Leica is definatly the better performing of the two, but the bushnell does well for the price. I've soaked both my Leicas on SE hunts as well as years in cascades without an issue. One comment about selecting the correct unit is to take the max distance you plan on shooting and double it. Then pick a rangefinder that will cover that doubled distance. The rangefinders max distance is rated under ideal conditions, and nothings more frustrating than searching for the perfect rock or tree to bounce a laser off, because it won't range the part of the animal sticking out of the trees. You won't be disappointed with the Leicas.

I own the bushnell. Its good out to 700 yards and is a decent product for the price.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Leica........
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

I've never really messed with rangefinders. Always figured if it looks like it's too far for me to shoot, then I don't need a rangefinder to tell me so.

But years ago when I was guiding, I remember a hunter had a rangefinder. I think it was a Bushnell. I remember it not being able to lock on target under fairly foggy conditions. I mean, we could still see the tree, but it couldn't lock on because of a bit of fog. Is this still a problem for a lot of rangefinders?

There are limitations to even the best rangefinder but the higher end models are pretty impressive these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast