Thread: New Smith & Wesson semi-auto! Any good?

Default New Smith & Wesson semi-auto! Any good?

Does anyone have experience with the Smith & Wesson M&P handguns?

This is their newest subcompact model that I'm thinking about getting as a backup pistol.
    This particular model is very small, but still seems to be able to pack the punch!

http://slickguns.com/product/new-smith-wesson-mp-shield-firearm-blog?a=5728&k=facebook

I was thinking of this as maybe an ankle carry or something along those lines...
    Any thoughts? Should I stay away from the M&P? This one looks to be quite a bit different than previous models.

I've sent two 45 ACP M&P's back to the factory for new frames due to cracks....that's all I know about them.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman1204 View Post
    Any thoughts? Should I stay away from the M&P? This one looks to be quite a bit different than previous models.
    How is that different than any other M&P model? Single stack mag? That's not much of a difference.

I haven't had a S&W autoloader since the 5906.... I stilll remember the Sigma debacle than morphed into the M&P.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    How is that different than any other M&P model? Single stack mag? That's not much of a difference.
    The pistol gets released on the 12th. Specs are out there regarding this new one. Seems to be a single stack available in 9 or 40. I'm going to wait until I see some side by side comparisons with other single stacks before thinking about buying.

I am a huge fan of the modern M&P autos---have three, a 9, a 9C, and a 45.

The funny thing about the S&W M&P's is I know of no police force or military that uses them.They are an insult to the old model 10M&P that was a great pistol.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Copied from Web, Wikipedia:
    Users

I have read nothing but good about the MP line. Can say I have only shot the MP45, 1 magazine full. It was ok, but I think I like the Glock platform better? I guess I need to shoot a few more before I can make up my mind on them??

That list speaks volumes . Maybe they should call it the S&W FC insted
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Our sheriff's department has them but they only feed Federal ammo reliably....they are going to G22's as soon as they can round up the money.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I have several M&Ps and have shot a bunch of them and I liked them all personally.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

I haven't had a S&W autoloader since the 5906.... I stilll remember the Sigma debacle than morphed into the M&P.
    The Sigma did not morph into the M&P, it was changed internally and remaind the sigma. The M&P is a completely different gun.

Quote Originally Posted by FDC View Post
    The pistol gets released on the 12th. Specs are out there regarding this new one. Seems to be a single stack available in 9 or 40. I'm going to wait until I see some side by side comparisons with other single stacks before thinking about buying.

does not look like it. It is double stack with a high cap and a 10 round commiefornia version.
    So SW copied Glock with the Sigma, Ruger with the Bodyguard, Taurus with the Governor. Personally I would spend my $$ on a proven Glock or XD. XD single stack 45 is now shipping and may be more to your liking/requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by FDC View Post

To my eye, its basically a Walther PPS with some cosmetic changes. We just got one in stock

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    does not look like it. It is double stack with a high cap and a 10 round commiefornia version.
    So SW copied Glock with the Sigma, Ruger with the Bodyguard, Taurus with the Governor. Personally I would spend my $$ on a proven Glock or XD. XD single stack 45 is now shipping and may be more to your liking/requirement.
    The Shield is not double stack, nor is it quite single stack. It is 7 rounds with the flush fit mag.

If the XD single stack is proven, how do you figure the M&P Shield is not proven? They are both built on existing platforms with years of experience.

And Ruger copied the Kel-tec P3AT way more than S&W copied the LCP.

I picked one up today- 8+1 with finger ext mag and 7+1 flat as mentioned by Scott. Before anyone bashes this gun I ask that you handle it- it is pretty nice. It fills the requirement I was looking for in a flat and nice feeling auto- price is fair as well.
    BEE

WWG or where? Wondering who has them in stock.

Enjoy. If I didn't already have a Kahr PM-9 and P-45 that fulfill about the same niche I would be more excited about them and be ready with money in hand. May still, but lots of AR parts I want too, and classes to pay for.

Got mine from Mtn View Sports- it was the first one they got in.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    To my eye, its basically a Walther PPS with some cosmetic changes. We just got one in stock

There are some decent side by side pictures at the below link. I walked into a shop yesterday, and they didn't have one...happened across an opportunity to order one and did so. Should be in my hands within a week.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_16/12...mparisons.html

Quote Originally Posted by scottr View Post
    The Shield is not double stack, nor is it quite single stack. It is 7 rounds with the flush fit mag.

If the XD single stack is proven, how do you figure the M&P Shield is not proven? They are both built on existing platforms with years of experience.

And Ruger copied the Kel-tec P3AT way more than S&W copied the LCP.
    My Bad, I was looking at the Smith SD9/40 and not the Shield.