Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63

Thread: Dogs on a Goat/Sheep hunt

  1. #1
    Charterboat Operator Abel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    1,279

    Default Dogs on a Goat/Sheep hunt

    So I was debating on taking my husky on my Goat hunt this fall. He's been at my side in Kodiak killing deer, bunnies, a couple bears in ketchikan but not a goat hunt or on a plane. Actually did a seach here as saw pics of someone with a black lab on a sheep hunt. How many of you have had your's with you on a high alpine hunt? Would love to see pics. after that post, ya, he's going, he ain't gonna like the plane ride tho.

  2. #2

    Default

    They hate storms and you need booties and extra supplies for them. They are good at detecting grizzlies. However, you need to really have them trained to stay in camp when you put on a sneek this is because alpine creatures like sheep and goats really have pretty good vision and will think your dog is a wolf. I used to take my pittbull all the time.

    Sincerely,
    Thomas

  3. #3
    Charterboat Operator Abel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    I've always said I'll never put clothes on my dog, but... That reason has had me thinking of either a camo vest or maybe an all white setup. I'll wear and painter suit, play nanny n kid He's real well minded, actually knows what'sup when we start stalkin, crouches right down when I do.

  4. #4
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,750

    Default

    I've taken my lab after moose, bear, sheep, and goat; she's great company in camp, but havent had success on a big game hunt with her yet. She's terrific at sniffing out and flushing rabbits, though! My malamute mix got to go to moose camp last fall; he sure enjoyed getting to chow down on fresh blood and fat while we were dressing out a bull.

    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  5. #5
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,750

    Default

    Glassing for goat and black bear, Red Mountain, Kenai Range:

    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  6. #6
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    My bear dog this past weekend looking for sign
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  7. #7

    Default

    The hunting side really depends on you and your dog, so you would know best about that. The one big concern I would look at would be access to water while hunting. Those kinds of hunts frequently have you in areas that may not have ready access to water for the dog, so unless you pack water for them, it could become an issue. It all depends on where you are at though, but just something to consider.

  8. #8
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    My bear dog this past weekend looking for sign
    You sure you weren't baitin for eagles?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    141

    Default

    two words...bad idea

    I guess if it was a weekend, don't really expect to harvest an animal hunt, but I wouldn't expect to see much of anything within stalk range with a dog by your side. I'm sure others have had success, but I would put money that it's few and far between.
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

  10. #10
    Charterboat Operator Abel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    I've never had an issue with mine spooking game. In fact had 2 does down wind fo us in plain site last fall, they didn't care.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    I've never had an issue with mine spooking game. In fact had 2 does down wind fo us in plain site last fall, they didn't care.
    Good to hear!! How many successfull 10+ day hunts have you taken your dog on? Just wondering...as I said, going on a weekend type thing wouldn't be a big deal with a dog/cat/ferret/rat/mouse/girbil/insert pet here/whatever
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

  12. #12
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    My dog stays as long as I do and two weeks I ready for a good wash up. Dog water is easy but I'm abit of a problem lapping mud holes.She is also easier to feed than myself and don't care if the TP runs out.
    Also the game can see me long before her

    Right next to me but well hid
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  13. #13
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HILL View Post
    Good to hear!! How many successfull 10+ day hunts have you taken your dog on? Just wondering...as I said, going on a weekend type thing wouldn't be a big deal with a dog/cat/ferret/rat/mouse/girbil/insert pet here/whatever
    HILL why do you make a distinction between a weekend hunt and a 10+ day hunt?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Girdwood
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    I would be more concerned with the regulations. Reference: "For hunting big game with the aid or use of a dog."

  15. #15
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    You aren't going to be cited if the dog isn't herding animals. It's all up to you, but I can't imagine stalking a sheep in a low cover situation with a dog crawling by my side (if I could get him to crawl). Blacktail are a whole different critter. I've hunted them on both Kodiak and P.O.W. most could care less if I was 200 yards away and they could see me.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  16. #16
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    I would be more concerned with the regulations. Reference: "For hunting big game with the aid or use of a dog."
    Guess it may come up but figure it would be about like taking a moose while out on your dog sled. A chunky yellow lab ain't going to run down game
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  17. #17
    Charterboat Operator Abel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    Hill,
    2 long hunts, but boat based and in Ketchikan, we had a number of good stalks that worked great, but I was to picky to pull the trigger and now kickin myself real hard for not shooting. Our first day of the first hunt we got close to a number of bears, my buddy ended up with a pretty little brownie, stalked to about 40yds from him. Found out my expectaions were alittle to high size wise for the brownies down there. Did try one goat hunt in Nov down there with him, but I had ankle issues on the way in, and beign by myself decided to bail on it.

    That little para in the regs concerned me too. But the staties here have seen me a number of times with the dog, bunnies on my back as well as in the morn when leaving to go deer hunting, never ask about the dog. Mine's useless as a hunting dog, he can did mice up tho. Looks a the deer standing in the parkinglot at work here and doesn't really care at all. But a freshly shot rabbit, he's gettin a taste for them

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Girdwood
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Guess it may come up but figure it would be about like taking a moose while out on your dog sled. A chunky yellow lab ain't going to run down game
    We can read into the language many ways.

    A dog can cover a lot of ground, be aware that game maybe present, and even flush game.

    Note: The reg seems specific to big game. If you were to hunt in the willows for bunnies and birds then likely ok. But put a deer or moose down with such accompaniment, and there would probably be some questions. If they didn't inquire .. then perhaps consider yourself lucky?

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    141

    Default

    The main reason would be on a weekend hunt, I'm not usually more than 25 miles from the truck (probably 20 via ATV), however, on a 10+ day hunt, I'm usually much further from the truck or any civilization for that matter...I have much more effort into a 10+ hunt, my expectations for success are much higher! Try to eliminate the variables that you can, I would count a dog as one, others may not.

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    HILL why do you make a distinction between a weekend hunt and a 10+ day hunt?
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    141

    Default

    You stalked to within 40 yds and your dog was by your side?!? That's just plain amazing!


    Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Hill,
    2 long hunts, but boat based and in Ketchikan, we had a number of good stalks that worked great, but I was to picky to pull the trigger and now kickin myself real hard for not shooting. Our first day of the first hunt we got close to a number of bears, my buddy ended up with a pretty little brownie, stalked to about 40yds from him. Found out my expectaions were alittle to high size wise for the brownies down there. Did try one goat hunt in Nov down there with him, but I had ankle issues on the way in, and beign by myself decided to bail on it.

    That little para in the regs concerned me too. But the staties here have seen me a number of times with the dog, bunnies on my back as well as in the morn when leaving to go deer hunting, never ask about the dog. Mine's useless as a hunting dog, he can did mice up tho. Looks a the deer standing in the parkinglot at work here and doesn't really care at all. But a freshly shot rabbit, he's gettin a taste for them
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •