Thread: Rafting Courses offered through UAA this summer

Default Rafting Courses offered through UAA this summer

Beginner rafting in Southcentral
    May 14-21
    We will be rafting the Kenai River, Portage Creek, and the Matanuska.

Beginning Rafting out of Valdez, AK
    May 29-June 3
    We will be rafting the Tsaina River (class III), the Tonsina River (class III), the Lowe River and/or Valdez Glacier Stream.

Our beginner courses are designed for those folks who want to learn the basics of oar and paddle raft guiding, reading water, and hazard evaluation.

Intermediate Rafting with UAA

June 5-18 with June 11-17 on water
    We will be rafting the Matanuska Lion Head (IV) the Nelchina/Tazlina river (II+) system and the Lowe River through Keystone Canyon (IV)

This course is designed for folks who know how to maneuver rafts and read water already. We teach you techniques for running bigger whitewater up to class IV and how to do a remote wilderness expedition as well.

DSCF0910.jpgIf you are interested or have any questions please contact the HPER department at UAA at (907) 786-4083 or the instructor TJ Miller at (907) 786-4072 or tjmiller@alaska.edu

Quote Originally Posted by whitewatertj View Post
    Beginner rafting in Southcentral
    May 14-21
    We will be rafting the Kenai River, Portage Creek, and the Matanuska.
    Those look like great classes. Are they age-specific or not at all? What is the minimum age you accept a kid that's in good condition?

I'm going to have to say next year; can't fit this year into the plan. But others here might want to know if you've filled up your classes, or if there is still room for a walk-in tomorrow?

Thanks again - see you in a year.

Long time coming!! What a great way to get the booming rafting sport done correctly for new comers!!
    P.S.-- Get that bow line out of the water and into the boat
    Just my thoughts!!
    Goo

Found this posting a little to late. Is there another way to get some experience/training in rafting. I have been out a few times and would like to be confident enough to set out by myself

There is a Beginner rafting course offered in Aug/Sept at UAA. Call HPER Department 786-4083 if you have questions.