Thread: My Ruger 338WM gets a New Handle

Default My Ruger 338WM gets a New Handle

This is a McMillan I ordered in Nov for my Ruger M77 338WM. This is my first custom McMillan and I am dang excited about it. These are awesome stocks and a heck of an upgrade from the ol boat paddle!

Good looking stock!

Very nice. Best stocks on the market in my opinion.

Great looking stock. I hope you like it. It makes that ruger look like a real gun. Enjoy

Too bad I cant get one for my Tikka.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

What's the bandaid for?

Personally, I don't like the McMillans. They're too plain, too skinny, and way too expensive IMO. I can't see having a cheek piece without a comb either.

If it's a MkII, I'd get a Hogue.

I'm sure you'll like it though, since you like it already. Enjoy.

Smitty of the North

I have the same rifle. Re-stocked mine w/a Bell&Carlson a few years back.Still remember breaking in the barrel. Boy, was I glad to get rid of that old stock. What a torture device! What was really amazing was after replacing the stock without touching the adjustments on the scope it actually grouped better! Good Shootin'

Default McMillan Stocks

I purchased two during the past two years and I think that they are the best stocks available for hunting/utility rifles here in Alaska. When I ordered my last one I was number 65 on the work order list, took about 4.5 months to get the installation job completed, so if you don't mind the wait they are well worth it. Your stock looks great with the Ruger M77.

As good as it gets for a S/S rifle.......Kimber Montana's are pretty fair too.

What model is your stock?

Smitty thats no band aid, thats a invoice from McMillan that was taped on.

I had another 338WM with a Hogue that I sold and although I like the Hogue Overmolded stocks, theres no comparison between this stock and a Hogue. I dropped the rifle off yesterday at Arctic Gun Works to have Gary bed it and do a little fit/finish work on the floorplate area. I am pretty excited about getting it and trying to convince myself to take this rifle instead of my Kimber Montana to Kodiak for goat this fall. That way I'll have an excuse to use it for something as I rarely use this 338WM.We'll see, this gun is a 1" or better gun before the new stock so hopefully it will shoot at least as good as it did with the old stock.

Default McMillan Stock

I like the colors on your stock. Let us know more about your color selection. It's always difficult to choose the combos on their marbled molded in colors. Some of mine have turned out better than others.

Did you just order a drop in stock, or was it necessary to send the barreled action to McMillan?

That stock is an exact copy of the Sako Hunter, which in my opinion is the best design ever invented for a hunting rifle. McMillan liked it so much that a few years ago they started offering it inletted for Rugers, Winchesters, and I think Remingtons, and Mausers, and of course Sakos, and maybe other actions. I have two on Winchester Mod 70s, and another on a Mauser 9.3x62.

I also like the classic stock they offer for the Mausers, which is the same as they offer for Rugers, just inletted differently.

On the Mauser, I took it to Georgia when it was newly finished, to hunt whitetail. I had the rifle out in the pines, sighting it in, and laid it down on the ground in the pine needles. I was walking the targets and not really paying attention when my brother drove his truck right over the rifle. I could hardly stand to look at it. But when I picked it up, I could find no damage. The pine needles and soft ground must have protected it. I thought at least the scope had to be bent, and it was a 3.5x10 Leupold.

After I settled down, I went on and sighted it in, and it shot very good accuracy. I have not had any trouble with the rifle, and have yet to find any damage from the incident. The tires must have gone over just the right place, I couldn't see for sure. All I saw was the rifle flip up a little, and it looked like the tires went right over the mid section - the strongest part.

Anyhow, it's a true story. Those McMillan stocks are tough, but just how tough I hope I don't find out. I have fallen on the rocks with another one, and I mean right on top of the rilfe, full weight, on a big slick rock. The scope was bent that time, but Leupold fixed it. The stock finish was scratched only a little.

I have some Hogue stocks too, and Butler Creek, but the McMillan are the best, and the most expensive. After the long wait, and expense for the McMillan, sometimes - lately - it has been very satisfying to just buy a $100 Hogue stock, drop the barreled action in, and go shooting. But, every time I shoulder the McMillan, I'm reminded of what the best stock feels like.

KB

I wasn't required to send the barreled action off to them, they said it would fit and it does , very well. As a matter of fact Gary Junk at Arctic GunWorks in Fbks said its one of the bets fits he's seen. I am having it bedded by him. The color scheme was 50% Olive 30% Woodland Beige and 20% black. I paid $389 for it shipped when they were on sale on the 24hourcampfire. I am pretty happy with it, even with the wait and all.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    This is a McMillan I ordered in Nov for my Ruger M77 338WM. This is my first custom McMillan and I am dang excited about it. These are awesome stocks and a heck of an upgrade from the ol boat paddle!

Reply:

I liked the replacement stock, never liked Ruger's factory stock (commonly referred to as "boat-paddles"), but liked the mauser action for durability and reliability.
    Just as a general question, assuming of course this thread is still active, how do you like the .338 caliber and the performance on game?

I put a Pacific Precision (now Rimrock) on my 338 several years ago and now would put nothing but that stock on any rifle I upgrade. It is awonderful stock and my Ruger now puts almost any load I shoot in it under 1" at 100. Nice on the recoil reduction too. Jim