Thread: Black bear hunting in the spring or fall

Default Black bear hunting in the spring or fall

I am looking at doing a drop off black bear hunt in June possibly unit 16, would this be a better hunt in the fall? I also have a possibility of hunting in the fall in the Taylor mountains by aniak. I would appreciate any advice on my best chances to get a black bear in any of these spots.

Quote Originally Posted by iowahunter View Post
    I am looking at doing a drop off black bear hunt in June possibly unit 16, would this be a better hunt in the fall? I also have a possibility of hunting in the fall in the Taylor mountains by aniak. I would appreciate any advice on my best chances to get a black bear in any of these spots.
    If during a legal bear baiting season, I'd set up a bait station. Doesn't take much.

1-Pick a couple of locations (make sure they are away from buildings, roads per the regulations). If in a predator control area, you need a specific permit (over the counter) and could run up to four bait stations.
    2-Register the stations with the F&G.
    3-Have them drop you off.
    4-If you desire to place the stations in a different spot than originally selected. Call the F&G, let them know the new locations before moving them. Change the paperwork accordingly.

Note: There are rule changes to the baiting regulations that take effect July 1.

I haven't killed a spring bear yet. But the little blackie I killed was on Oct 23 during a snow squall. It died with a mouth full of blue berries. Possibly the best eating meat I've ever had. I'll kill a hundred of them little guys in the berries if I had my choice.

June is a little late for a "spring" bear in unit 16. I would say fall would be better because you can target a high mt berry bear....the good eats that 4merguide talks about. Funny that you have to keep spring meat...I gotta 9/11 bear (I know, weird date) and it too had a mouth full of berries...my picky eatin wife loves the meat!!!! There aren't really any berries in May/June...
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

the best blackie I ever ate was a spring bear... fall berry bears are great just you never know how long they have been up there eatin those berrys so some are not as good as others...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    the best blackie I ever ate was a spring bear... fall berry bears are great just you never know how long they have been up there eatin those berrys so some are not as good as others...

I completely agree...ensure you're hunting in an area w/o salmon springs in a 5-10 mile area

Quote Originally Posted by HILL View Post
    I completely agree...ensure you're hunting in an area w/o salmon springs in a 5-10 mile area
    The little blackie I killed was up above the Kenai in Cooper Landing. Again it was Oct 23, so he may not have been in the fish for awhile. I would imagine it doesn't take long to cleanse their system when they really hit the berries hard. I do know that besides the great table fare, it was the cleanest animal that I have ever field dressed and the hide was excellent.

I'm not sure how long it'd take em to cleanse either...you know immediately when you open up one that's been in the fish!

Hell, usually you don't even have to open them up to be able to tell if they've been in the fish......

haha...smell before you even see em!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    The little blackie I killed was up above the Kenai in Cooper Landing. Again it was Oct 23, so he may not have been in the fish for awhile. I would imagine it doesn't take long to cleanse their system when they really hit the berries hard. I do know that besides the great table fare, it was the cleanest animal that I have ever field dressed and the hide was excellent.
    Dave something about them cooper landing mountain bears seems any time of the year they taste good from there dont really know what it is but I have eaten blackie from lot of places but some of the best I have had has been from there....

One of the fall bears I harvested...we had a Bear -B-Que. Dug a trench, filled with charcoal, put the bear in foil with barbque sauce (about 2 lbs. per pack) tossed it on the coals and covered it in dirt for about...'till the first keg was gone. Uncovered it and put it on big ole' Kaiser Buns... no evidence was left.

Unit 16 is hit or miss in mid june-july/august if your are doing a spot and stalk type hunt. I managed to pull one out in july (hide was toast but meat was great) as well as put a friend on his first blackie 3 days prior and that bears meat was excellent as well (hide was toast on that bear too but we were meat hunting so no big deal). Its all about knowing where to find the berries as I have several spots I hunt that are just covered in blueberry and cranberry patches. Both of our bears I called in with a Cub in distress call (and both came to us with-in 30-45 minutes of calling) Matts bear was on site with-in about 20 minutes of the first call and my bear came in literally less than 5 minutes after calling.. both were boars one was 5'9 the other about 5'11

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

i hunted in mid october sutton area 2 falls ago,.. it was a spot and stalk black bear hunt and i had this big boar spotted way back in this steep drainage and to my amazement after a 6 hour hike to him he was still within a few hundred yards of where i had originally spotted him. i rested up a 400 yard shot with absolutely no way to get closer being as i was shooting across a steep ravine. my 270 short mag worked very well and absolutely penetrated right through the shoulder and into the boiler rum. i will say one thing and that is make sure you are prepared for the worst,.. i salvaged the hide and the meat and by that time darkness had fallen and i ended up stranded on the mountainside over night in the bonechilling weather, but it really wasnt that bad for i stoked a nice fire all night long and hiked out at first light. took that bad boy straight to pioneer meats and got me some sausage