Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Searching for a FA 83 in .500 JRH

Default Searching for a FA 83 in .500 JRH

I went to Freedom Arms asking for a price on a Model 83 in .500 JRH instead of .500 WE. Here's what they said.

"I'm sorry Freedom Arms won't offer a 500 JRH unless we have a lot of requests, your the first to mention that one."

Maybe this was obvious to most, but I did not know it.

Jack Huntington is the 500JRH man. http://www.jrhgunmaker.com/ Afterall, he's the guy who created that cartridge to get a fifty in the FA. If you want a FA 500JRH, look for a deal on a 454 and have him convert it or if you can find a 500AE, then you can use the same barrel. I was considering going that route because FA revolvers are soooo nice. But, I could'nt get past packing a revolver with only 4 in the cylinder. I decided to go with a custom Ruger in 500 Linebaugh.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Jack Huntington is the 500JRH man. http://www.jrhgunmaker.com/ Afterall, he's the guy who created that cartridge to get a fifty in the FA. If you want a FA 500JRH, look for a deal on a 454 and have him convert it or if you can find a 500AE, then you can use the same barrel. I was considering going that route because FA revolvers are soooo nice. But, I could'nt get past packing a revolver with only 4 in the cylinder. I decided to go with a custom Ruger in 500 Linebaugh.
    shweet! please do tell what that will look like. bisley handle? is that also through JRH or another custom shop?

is something like that similar in price to a used FA in .454 plus the conversion to .500 at JRH or...?

Yes, Bisley. Probably more $$ than a FA 500rjh depending on details. Several smiths to choose from. I haven't decided yet.

If I weren't set on a custom I'd look at a 6" BFR 500jrh. Best value it seems for a SA fifty. But, I want a 500 Linebaugh, .510 low pressure cartridge.

Whitworth or some of these other guys who own and shoot fifties will be along I'm sure. I'm just starting to scratch my itch for a fifty so I'm a noob. other than the fact that I'm 50 plus one
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Yes, Bisley. Probably more $$ than a FA 500rjh depending on details. Several smiths to choose from. I haven't decided yet.

If I weren't set on a custom I'd look at a 6" BFR 500jrh. Best value it seems for a SA fifty. But, I want a 500 Linebaugh, .510 low pressure cartridge.

Whitworth or some of these other guys who own and shoot fifties will be along I'm sure. I'm just starting to scratch my itch for a fifty so I'm a noob. other than the fact that I'm 50 plus one
    Nice. I'm thinking about the .500 JRH in that BFR also. The 2011 catalog says you can get one in 5.5", and I think that is what I would order, but I wish it had a Bisley handle.

Quote Originally Posted by alderwillow View Post
    Nice. I'm thinking about the .500 JRH in that BFR also. The 2011 catalog says you can get one in 5.5", and I think that is what I would order, but I wish it had a Bisley handle.
    Well... send that 500 bfr to Huntington with a pile of $$ and he Bisleyize it for you!

yeah. I'm trying to solve for that $$$ or lack therof. May just have to live with the non-bisley grip.

BFR, 6" or 7-1/2". Well, maybe 5-1/2" too, no shorter. The JRH is perfect, Linebaugh is also good but will cost more.
    Bisley---NO, it beats my middle knuckle real bad. The grips on the BFR are perfect. Accuracy? How about a group I shot at 50 yards with Whitworth's JRH and 5 shotgun shells shot in the bases at 50 yards with my BFR. I only found 3 in the weeds but hit all 5.

A bit off topic, but I should chime in. I had a 7.5" BFR for several years in .500SW. I loved everything about that gun except it was single action only.

That's it. I barely shoot enough to feel like I am staying sharp with DA, and I personally don't have enough more free time to also stay sharp with SA only guns. So I let go of my BFR.

Otherwise I loved that thing. Solid. Simple. Dependable. Precise as all get out. Tiny little groups when I did my part. If I were to get the itch again I would look real real careful at the 7.5" in 45-70, reloads to modern lever action level. Lots of room in the case for many different powders to feel at home.

If $$$ is the only thing between you and a FA, the BFR might be a fine $$ intermediary.

/highjack

Quote Originally Posted by swmn View Post
    A bit off topic, but I should chime in. I had a 7.5" BFR for several years in .500SW. I loved everything about that gun except it was single action only.

That's it. I barely shoot enough to feel like I am staying sharp with DA, and I personally don't have enough more free time to also stay sharp with SA only guns. So I let go of my BFR.

Otherwise I loved that thing. Solid. Simple. Dependable. Precise as all get out. Tiny little groups when I did my part. If I were to get the itch again I would look real real careful at the 7.5" in 45-70, reloads to modern lever action level. Lots of room in the case for many different powders to feel at home.

If $$$ is the only thing between you and a FA, the BFR might be a fine $$ intermediary.

/highjack
    Super fun gun but very large. The JRH has the shorter frame and cylinder. It will do all needed.
    Even the WE in the Freedom is OK except for COST. Gun and brass.

Quote Originally Posted by alderwillow View Post
    I handled the 5.5-inch BFR in .500 JRH at the NRA Annual Meetings last weekend and it is a really nice length that balances well. Jack Hunting (the JRH in .500 JRH) modifies the grip frame of the BFR (and Ruger plow handles) that changes the grip angle some and lengthens the grip. It is a nice alternative to a Bisley grip frame. I am having him modify my BFR in this manner.

Would just like to add that a Bisley grip is not a cure all for everyone. Recently purchased a Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt and when shooting it my middle finger, middle joint takes a wacking. I can still shoot the revolver pretty good but shooting gloves are needed if you plan on shooting more than a few rounds in one session. Experience the same thing when shooting a Freedom Arms.
    Have not yet tried a BFR. Just my two cents worth.

As far as the knuckle bashing, does anyone make an aftermarket rubber grip for the Ruger Bisley grip frame?

I know lowering the hand on the grip by filling in the area behind the trigger guard will make the gun rise and flip more when fired, but it sure does keep the middle finger from getting whacked.

Quote Originally Posted by drow View Post
    As far as the knuckle bashing, does anyone make an aftermarket rubber grip for the Ruger Bisley grip frame?

I know lowering the hand on the grip by filling in the area behind the trigger guard will make the gun rise and flip more when fired, but it sure does keep the middle finger from getting whacked.
    No one makes a rubber grip for the Bisley that I know of. Jack Huntington modifies the Bisley to give you a little more room between your finger and the trigger guard. It's subtle but it works great. I shot 50 fullhouse rounds through my .500 Maximum a couple of weeks ago and it never made contact with my middle finger.

A nice alternative is this Ruger in 500 JRH with fluted cylinder and 4 1/2" Octagon barrel in Hard Chrome with modified SB grip and custom grips

That's really nice! I love the mods JRH does to the plow handle! Really makes it viable in the heavier kicking calibers!

Interesting thread and I've learned alot!

Can you reload the 500 JRH using S&W 500 reloading dies?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    I handled the 5.5-inch BFR in .500 JRH at the NRA Annual Meetings last weekend and it is a really nice length that balances well. Jack Hunting (the JRH in .500 JRH) modifies the grip frame of the BFR (and Ruger plow handles) that changes the grip angle some and lengthens the grip. It is a nice alternative to a Bisley grip frame. I am having him modify my BFR in this manner.
    Whitworth, Do you know are the 5.5" .500jrh BFRs available thru dealers now or are they only a custom shop thing? I've heard of them, but never seen one actually for sale. Seems like a nice combo of size and power.

Thanks.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricG View Post
    Whitworth, Do you know are the 5.5" .500jrh BFRs available thru dealers now or are they only a custom shop thing? I've heard of them, but never seen one actually for sale. Seems like a nice combo of size and power.

Thanks.
    Eric

It is a regular production item now. It is no longer a Precision Center only caliber. I know several folks who have purchased them. The 5 1/2-inch revolver I handled was a catalog item. Great revolver!

JWP, that is one beautiful gun.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast