Thread: Rabbit hunting in Ketchikan?

Default Rabbit hunting in Ketchikan?

Hello,

I am may be getting an offer for a job in Ketchikan and I have rabbit beagles. Is there good rabbit hunting in the Ketchikan area? I am also applying for a job in Kodiak and it looks like there is good rabbit/hare hunting on that island. Any care to let the scoop on Ketchikan are there populations and habitat for rabbits and hares?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by adjessup View Post
    Hello,

I am may be getting an offer for a job in Ketchikan and I have rabbit beagles. Is there good rabbit hunting in the Ketchikan area? I am also applying for a job in Kodiak and it looks like there is good rabbit/hare hunting on that island. Any care to let the scoop on Ketchikan are there populations and habitat for rabbits and hares?

Thanks!

Sorry, but the beagles won't have much to chase in Ktn, the only rabbits on our island are tame bunnies that might have escaped.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Sorry, but the beagles won't have much to chase in Ktn, the only rabbits on our island are tame bunnies that might have escaped.
    How far away is the nearest place to hunt rabbit/hare? But the waterfowl hunting is pretty good?

Not sure if there are rabbits SE Alaska, someone else will have to weigh in on that question. water fowl is OK, but not great on the island, you'd have to get off by boat into different bay areas.

I would think there have got to be if you have fox and wolf and other small predetory mammals. Just a thought. I know Kodiak has got a lot of rabbits but I think Ketchikan would be alot nicer place to live. Have you ever been to Kodiak? Any thoughts on the two places as far as working and living?

Mainland would likely have them at altitude. Not enough or close enough to satisfy you though.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by adjessup View Post
    I would think there have got to be if you have fox and wolf and other small predetory mammals. Just a thought. I know Kodiak has got a lot of rabbits but I think Ketchikan would be alot nicer place to live. Have you ever been to Kodiak? Any thoughts on the two places as far as working and living?
    I have been to Kodiak, but only for a few days. We enjoyed the time we were there, winter can be tough though.

There are patches of hares in Juneau, imagine it's like that in other places either on or close to the mainland in Southeast...I've seen a grand total of 2 during 4 years of hunting Douglas island...