Thread: Made my own 12v power accessory for old Tundra

Default Made my own 12v power accessory for old Tundra

I wanted to have a 12v accessory on my machine, which is a 96 TundraII with no electric start. Had it had electric start this would not have been a huge issue, just run some wires from the battery or nearest power wire with 12v and then to a ground and bam! 12v power. However this was not the case. But I did learn some things. Like snowmachines create AC while one needs DC to run a 12v accessory. I also learned not to use your good phone charger when you make your first attempt at wiring an accessory to your machine. After a week or so of this or that and researching I finally found the best(simplest) schematic on how to wire up a system to convert the AC voltage that my machine puts out to 12v of DC. I would like to thank John out at 90's and older snowmachines who explained how and what I needed very well so that even I understood it. His suggestion was to also run this 12v power to a small battery first then connect the battery to the accessory. I have not done that yet but may in the future. All in all for around 20 bucks and some basic soldering skills I have a 12v accessory on my snowmachine that I can run a GPS, phone, fishing finder or whatever else runs on 12v, and I did it myself which is always fun. I will probably hookup the small battery later as that would allow me to run/charge things while the machine is not running. Here is website that I found the scematic on.

Http://www.snowmobileforum.com/polar...rectifier.html

I followed the advice of one of the other posters and put only a 10uF capacitor going to the final postive from the regulator to the accessory. Other than that I followed the schematic and it worked for me. I repeat it worked for me, It may not work for you. So dont blame me if you burn up your wiring. I did alot of testing with the voltmeter before I committed to hooking anything up(the second time). If you give this a shot I hope it does work out. Good luck.
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Photos

Here are some photos of my project. Went ahead and hooked up the small battery too.
    Had some issues with the accessory housing grounding out on the "dash", but fixed that with a plastic washer and some electrical tape around the inner housing. Without the battery, but the machine running I get 11.8v, enough to charge my Iphone. With the battery and the machine running I get 12.8v with .2v drop when machine is shut off. With some field tests I should be able to determine battery life and charging rates. Total cost including battery, 37 dollars.

Here is the circuit in the schematic wired up.

Here is the circuit in its containment. After I checked it out for fit I went ahead and filled it with silicone.

This is the rectifier/regulator in place but not completely wired in.

This is fully hooked up with battery.
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

You did a good job, I am impressed with what you did.

Now that you are using a battery you could have done the same thing by coming off the yellow wire (ac) with a single 2 amp diode and going to the + on the battery.

One problem your going to have is using the 12v regular on a 12v battery. A battery needs > 13.8v to keep it charged. Another advantage is you will not need too isolate the circuit above ground.

i believe that i bought that tundra from you last summer that or somebody else did the same exact thing with a 96 tundra and put a homemade seat on it